Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Open Ltr To Par/wb/fox

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted September 15 2004 - 04:39 AM

Now that Univer$al has joined MGM, $ONY, and ARTISAN in releasing FULL FRAME editions of their Catalogue titles. I want to commend PARAMOUNT, FOX and WARNER BROS. for continuing to release their titles with respect. The work you all have done has been great, and the Anamorphic transfers indicate that you know your consumer and you have respect for your catalogue titles and the people who made them. PLEASE keep up the great work!

To UNIVER$AL. SHAME ON YOU FOR RELEASING "ICEMAN" (2:35 title) PAN & SCAN!!!!! BUT FOR LESS THAT $10.00 THE TERM YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR RINGS TRUE!!!!!

#2 of 11 Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,587 posts

Posted September 15 2004 - 05:06 AM

I concur, on both points!

I will not purchase fullscreen-only DVDs of COLOSSUS: THE FORBIN PROJECT and CHARLEY VARRICK, much as I love both flicks. Original Aspect Ratio or No Sale.

Kudos to Warner, Fox and Paramount! Keep on doin' what you're doing (although, please include trailers with more of your catalog releases, Paramount)!

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60) / DARKER THAN AMBER ('70) / THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ('47) / CROSSWINDS ('51) / JIVARO ('54)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010) / THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966)

#3 of 11 AndrewWickliffe

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit

• 367 posts

Posted September 15 2004 - 05:22 AM

I just read the full list--Charley Varrick, Darkman III: Die Darkman Die, Iceman, A Kiss Before Dying, Once Around, Raggedy Man and Tank--of pan and scam garbage from Universal. Oh, wait, i'm sorry: Darkman III is getting an anamorphic transfer (and a Kiss Before Dying). So i can complete my Darkman trilogy.

Universal has always been bad about releasing catalogue titles, but this is the first time they've deliberately gone P/S.

Who are they making these titles for?
What about HD tv?

I've met Universal sales reps and they are, undoubtedly, an awful company (the rep was nice if dim) . . . but this . . .

And they used to be such a great laserdisc producer.

#4 of 11 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,399 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted September 15 2004 - 05:53 AM

It's simple; no OAR, so sale...
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#5 of 11 Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter

• 1,690 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted September 15 2004 - 05:57 AM

Thanks for the alert guys.

#6 of 11 Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted September 15 2004 - 06:38 AM

Quote:
fullscreen-only DVDs of COLOSSUS: THE FORBIN PROJECT

I have a WS laserdisc of this title. I'll stay with it until a proper AR DVD of it is released if ever. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#7 of 11 Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 3,995 posts

Posted September 15 2004 - 06:50 AM

Fox has put out some catalog titles at $9.99 with both widescreen and pan & scan versions- amazing considering their laserdiscs were ridiculously overpriced (some as high as $49.99). How is it that they can do that, but Columbia has to drop the widescreen transfer from previously released titles when they drop the price on them?
Some of the upcoming $9.99 Universal titles will still be widescreen but it's disturbing that they'd go with pan & scan on some of them when they've been released correctly on laserdisc in the past. I won't even pay $1 for a pan & scan version; as long as they price DVDs less than laserdiscs I'll be glad to pay what they ask for them if they're done correctly!
Amazing that Fox has become one of the best DVD companies while Columbia has become one of the worst!
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#8 of 11 AndrewWickliffe

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit

• 367 posts

Posted September 15 2004 - 08:00 AM

...and now, MGM is Columbia (Sony) too . . .

This is what I got back from the Universal Contact page:
"Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We appreciate your comments and have forwarded them to the appropriate departments.

We hope that you will continue to enjoy Universal products.

Sincerely,

Universal Studios Home Video--Consumer Relations"

"enjoy Universal products"?
Not since laserdisc.

#9 of 11 Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted September 15 2004 - 09:19 AM

I recieved the same response from Universal.

It is quite ironic that SONY started of strong and went downhill and FOX started awfully and is now one of the best. So figure.

#10 of 11 PaulaJ

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor

• 575 posts

Posted September 16 2004 - 01:20 AM

What is the original aspect ratio of Charley Varrick, BTW? (I've never seen it...)
PaulaJ

#11 of 11 Matt Rexer

Matt Rexer

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted September 16 2004 - 04:42 AM

Sorry... I chuckle and think of this Penny Arcade whenever someone uses a $ instead of an S in the name of a company they dislike.

Though I agree with all that's being said.
~sometimes my arms bend back~