Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Last Night (1998) Re-release

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted September 15 2004 - 01:03 AM

An acquaintance met Don McKellar yesterday and asked why the current DVD is P&S. McKellar replied that he never understood why Alliance Atlantis did that (who can ever understand why AA does what they do?), and that a widescreen re-release will be out next week.

I heard nothing about a re-release anywhere until today - and sure enough,there's a link to it on Amazon.ca:

http://www.amazon.ca....200474-6102447

It may only be available to retailers in Canada, but I guess Americans can order from Amazon.ca.

Here's hoping that it's anamorphic and has a decent transfer.

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor

• 565 posts

Posted September 15 2004 - 02:33 AM

Next week?!? I hope they do keep the nice looking Canadian cover though, and not the ugly US cover.

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   Joe Kamsan

Joe Kamsan

Stunt Coordinator

• 77 posts

Posted September 15 2004 - 07:11 AM

Its a good thing I check in on this place every now and again, otherwise I would have missed this. I'll wait to see if it is 16x9. thanks for the heads up.

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   David Jay

David Jay

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted September 15 2004 - 08:08 AM

Ah-ha, so this is why this film suddenly has a "long wait" in my NetFlix queue. Have to wait for the re-release now. Thanks for the heads-up, Marc.

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted September 15 2004 - 08:28 AM

Thanks for the tip. I'm in.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted September 17 2004 - 07:41 AM

I e-mailed Alliance Atlantis asking for the specs, and here's what they gave me:

Language Tracks: English, French
Sound: 2.0 Dolby Digital for both English and French
Aspect ratio: 1.85:1
Enhanced for 16x9 televisions
Subtitles: English
Closed Captions: English

It's barebones, but at least it's anamorphic widescreen.

McKellar mentioned that he wanted to include his short film Blue on it - but I guess that didn't wind up happenening. Too bad.

In any case, if the specs hold - this is a definite purchase for me.

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor

• 565 posts

Posted September 17 2004 - 09:19 AM

Here's the cover art of the new release. Glad they decided to keep the artwork from the original Canadian release.

Posted Image

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted September 17 2004 - 10:46 AM

Thanks Tom. That's a sweet cover ! Really looking forward to this re-release.

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted September 17 2004 - 03:38 PM

Am I seeing things, or is there a lack of bilingual titles on the cover and spine? I'm shocked.....Posted Image

Looks like Alliance will get some money from me after all (I'm getting it regardless since it is a Canadian film....and a damn good one at that.).
Recently watched- Guardians Of The Galaxy 3D, Ender's Game, Escape From L.A., Highlander 2, Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, Escape From New York, The Interview, Trancers, Don Jon, Under Fire, Major Dundee: Extended Version, Brannigan, Used Cars, Hard Times, The Mechanic(1972), The Dogs Of War, Fast & Furious 6

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 3, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 3, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 2, Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Season 1, Game Of Thrones: Season 2, Heroes: Season 2, The Pacific

"Well now I'm standing. Happy? . We're all standing now. Bunch of jackasses. Standing in a circle."

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   Marc_Savoie

Marc_Savoie

Stunt Coordinator

• 206 posts

Posted September 20 2004 - 01:24 AM

Thanks so much for confirming this rumour! I saw the new listing on Amazon.ca and wasn't sure what to make of it. This is great news, and I'll finally own this after hoping for an OAR release.
[c]"The best way to destroy a taste for what is bad, is to cultivate a taste for what is good."
Best Movies of 2003 : DVDs : DVDs (again)
Top 20 Films : Favourite Horror Films : Favourite Music of 2003[/c]

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted September 28 2004 - 12:21 PM

My copy of Last Night arrived today, and I have to say that I am pissed. Posted Image

It is NOT Anamorphic !!!

The specs provided to me via e-mail by Alliance Atlantis, and the specs on the back cover of the DVD state:

"Enhanced for 16x9 televisions"... horseshit!

I just knew they would screw something up. I'm writing a nasty e-mail to AA for mispresenting their product and will demand my money back (either through them or Amazon.ca).

I accepted the fact that it was barebones (even though McKellar wanted to do more for the DVD) but to not make it anamorphic is inexcusable.

Just another in a long line of f*ck-ups by AA.

For those who can live with a non-anamorphic transfer, the picture quality is decent in my quick scan of the DVD (nothing great, but not bad either). I would give it a 7/10 rating.

EDIT: BTW, the coverart is bilingual (unlike the coverart above). It's reversable, but both sides are bilingual - as one is predominantly English and other side predominantly French Posted Image

Here are a few captures from the DVD:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Just wanted to give people a warning so they know what they're in for before purchasing.

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor

• 565 posts

Posted September 28 2004 - 02:37 PM

crap. It is indeed nonanamorphic. Oh well, I sent them a letter, but there's no other alternative for this film on dvd so....

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted September 28 2004 - 03:37 PM

Well, my statement above is now changed.....Alliance will not see a penny for this non-anamorphic crap.Posted Image Perhaps it will get re-released in the U.S. in anamorphic widescreen someday. I guess I can wait.Posted Image
Recently watched- Guardians Of The Galaxy 3D, Ender's Game, Escape From L.A., Highlander 2, Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, Escape From New York, The Interview, Trancers, Don Jon, Under Fire, Major Dundee: Extended Version, Brannigan, Used Cars, Hard Times, The Mechanic(1972), The Dogs Of War, Fast & Furious 6

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 3, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 3, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 2, Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Season 1, Game Of Thrones: Season 2, Heroes: Season 2, The Pacific

"Well now I'm standing. Happy? . We're all standing now. Bunch of jackasses. Standing in a circle."

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,921 posts

Posted December 14 2004 - 07:47 AM

The captures that Marc posted seem to be gone now, so can anyone tell me how bad the transfer is? I'm dying to see another good Sandra Oh film after seeing Sideways last night.

Ted
Hold on tightly, let go lightly.

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor

• 565 posts

Posted December 14 2004 - 08:07 AM

^ I can't comment on how bad it is, but it's a good movie, so it's still worth a look. I also like her other movie, Double Happiness, which for some reason is not available on dvd. However, the semi-follow-up, "Long Life, Happiness & Prosperity" is on dvd. The dvd is only available in US through Film Movement, but you can get the Canadian version which has a pretty good anamorphic transfer. I thought she was also pretty good in Under the Tuscan Sun.

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   Daniel Windsor

Daniel Windsor

Stunt Coordinator

• 141 posts

Posted December 14 2004 - 09:54 AM

I had the pan and scan Canadian disc. It was a mess. I never realised just how bad it was until I copied the anamorphic version from BBC Digital. Widescreen non-16:9 is better than nothing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users