Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Take it from me, be very, very careful w/ your hands-free headset....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
58 replies to this topic

#1 of 59 Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter

• 1,367 posts

Posted September 13 2004 - 04:20 PM

...Today, my wife and I are driving to a department store when I decide to call a friend on my cell phone w/ the connected hands-free headset to ask him a question. My friend doesn't pick up the phone, so I leave a message on his voice mail and finish by pressing a button on the headset to disconnect the call. Immediately afterwards, my wife and I start a conversation on how big of a jackass that our friend has been acting lately, and how much we dislike his arrogant wife.

Well, after about a 90-second rant between me and my wife about our disappointment w/ our friend and his wife - things that we would never tell them to their face, I hear an unexpected "beep" in my headset followed by the automated female "voice" telling me: YOUR MESSAGE HAS BEEN DELIVERED. The button on the headset didn't disconnect the call like it should have!!!Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image!!! Well, we've got some explaining to do. Hope this helps someone not to trust that stupid non-functioning headset feature, and guard your confidentiality and privacy.
"What does God want with a Starship?" - Captain Kirk from Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

"For the first few minutes of the film, I had accidently listened to the Dolby Digital track." - Ron Epstein (HTF)

#2 of 59 Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted September 13 2004 - 04:32 PM

Boy that really sucks! I hope it works out.

One thing I've always learned to do is disconnect the headset from the phone when I'm done using it. I never leave it connected because I've nearly been in situations like this too.

#3 of 59 David Galindo

David Galindo

Screenwriter

• 1,264 posts

Posted September 13 2004 - 04:33 PM

Oh NO...that sounds terrible.

Just play it off like you didnt know, making him fume, then mention it like it was a joke (I cant believe you havent said anything about my message! Hah! Im just kiddin, man. I just wanted to see what you would do. You should have seen the look on your face!).

Good luck....

#4 of 59 NickSo

NickSo

Producer

• 4,274 posts

Posted September 13 2004 - 08:14 PM

Isnt the button on the headset to mute the mic? If so, maybe you have some hope... good luck

#5 of 59 Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,329 posts

Posted September 13 2004 - 09:18 PM

Dunno about you guys, but the button on my headset is supposed to pick up the call when the phone rings, and to disconnect the call when I'm done, in effect equivalent of the green handset button on the phone itself, nothing more. So it does sound like Kevin is screwed...

#6 of 59 Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,629 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted September 13 2004 - 11:29 PM

Quote:
Just play it off like you didnt know, making him fume, then mention it like it was a joke (I cant believe you havent said anything about my message! Hah! Im just kiddin, man. I just wanted to see what you would do. You should have seen the look on your face!).

...and pray to a white elephant that he and his wife aren't HTF members!

Posted Image

jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#7 of 59 GordonL

GordonL

Supporting Actor

• 771 posts

Posted September 14 2004 - 03:19 AM

Some people are oblivious to the way they're behaving and need the kick in the pants. Who knows, maybe it will work out Posted Image. Then again, how vicious were you? Anyways, keep us posted on how this turns out.

#8 of 59 Philip_G

Philip_G

Producer

• 5,035 posts

Posted September 14 2004 - 03:21 AM

all I can say is

BAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH

#9 of 59 ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor

• 912 posts

Posted September 14 2004 - 03:50 AM

That is the best thing I've read so far today.

You have to keep us posted.
(not that we should trust you anymore. I wonder what you say about us when your done typing).

#10 of 59 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted September 14 2004 - 03:59 AM

This reminds me of the time I went back and forth (for days) with a friend of mine who was complaining about her boyfriend. I finally decided to ligthen things up with a joke. She loved the joke so much that she forwarded it to all of her friends...ALONG with the ENTIRE weeks worth of emails we had been sending back and forth.

Needless to say, her boyfriend was on that list of recipients.

In the end, she was glad things finally got out in the open. If this severe your friendship, then at least you don't have to deal with the guys "arrogant wife" Posted Image

#11 of 59 NickSo

NickSo

Producer

• 4,274 posts

Posted September 14 2004 - 05:10 AM

hehe, yaknow what, this sounds like it could be something out of Curb Your Enthusiasm Posted Image

#12 of 59 Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,454 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted September 14 2004 - 05:51 AM

Quote:
hehe, yaknow what, this sounds like it could be something out of Curb Your Enthusiasm

Beat me to it, Nick. I just finished watching the S2 DVD of CYE last night and this really does sound like a Larry David moment. Posted Image

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#13 of 59 Rob FM

Rob FM

Second Unit

• 468 posts

Posted September 14 2004 - 06:26 AM

UPDATE !!

What happened?!?

#14 of 59 David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted September 14 2004 - 06:49 AM

Quote:
You have to keep us posted.
(not that we should trust you anymore. I wonder what you say about us when your done typing).

Posted Image Posted Image
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#15 of 59 Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted September 14 2004 - 07:44 AM

Couldn't the conclusion just as easily be "Don't diss your friends"?

#16 of 59 Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,398 posts

Posted September 14 2004 - 07:51 AM

Posted Image

i'm gonna subscribe to this thread just to see what happens!

Posted Image

#17 of 59 Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted September 14 2004 - 07:53 AM

I know! Kevin, I'm sorry but that was absolutely hilarious.

--
H

#18 of 59 Zen Butler

Zen Butler

Producer

• 5,315 posts

Posted September 14 2004 - 08:09 AM

Best post ever. If you're still friends with your buddy, can you get him to save the message so we can hear you and your wife bagging on him and his wife?

OOOOOOOOO!!!! Ahahahaaha

Quote:

Even funnier

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

bladerunner-thumb-510x227-39115_zpse210a

#19 of 59 Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter

• 1,099 posts

Posted September 14 2004 - 08:19 AM

I've had two similar experiences. While I was a police officer, my phone, on my duty belt, hit the seat belt, and dialed my home phone. When I got home, I had 20 minutes of my conversation with my partner waiting for me.

Then, my partner was driving down the street, and unknowingly, had his leg pressed against the transmit button on the radio. After a few minutes, my phone rang, and there was the dispatcher, laughing. We tried to remember what we talked about, and were then mortified to think who we were dising, and who's body parts we were discussing!
Randy T.
Orlando, FL
ºoº Home of The Mouse!!!

"Oh, come on, guys. It's so simple, maybe you need a refresher course. It's all ball bearings nowadays!"

#20 of 59 Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter

• 1,367 posts

Posted September 14 2004 - 09:10 AM

I can understand how this is funny to most of you. If I were reading this experience about someone else I'd be in stitches myself. But right now, I am totally a nervous wreck. I haven't eaten all day. I haven't tried calling my friend yet, but I'll try to work up the nerve before the day's end.

As for the comparisons to a Curb Your Enthusiasm episode, ironically, I told my wife last night as we were going to bed how I felt like Larry David living out a CYE episode (w/ the tuba sounds and all), only this is serious. While I don't think this will end our friendship, it will strain it considerably.

Depending on how things go, I may choose to keep some of the confrontation w/ my friend confidential. I know that you all can understand this.
"What does God want with a Starship?" - Captain Kirk from Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

"For the first few minutes of the film, I had accidently listened to the Dolby Digital track." - Ron Epstein (HTF)

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow