Jump to content



Sign up for a free account to remove the pop-up ads

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Oprah & Pontiac Give Away $8 Million Worth Of New Cars


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
54 replies to this topic

#1 of 55 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

    Producer



  • 5,514 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 04 2000
  • Real Name:Craig Seanor
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted September 13 2004 - 08:16 AM

Heck of a publicity stunt for BOTH of these major corporations:

http://story.news.ya....rah_s_surprise

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

 

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.


#2 of 55 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

    Lead Actor



  • 8,399 posts
  • Join Date: May 08 2001

Posted September 13 2004 - 08:59 AM

my wife loves oprah, so i watch it once in a while.

i will definitely say this. she is truly philanthropic and i absolutely admire her for it.

i've seen many shows where she does something really nice for a guest. she'll pay their taxes, fund their college expenses, get them out of debt, pay for their surgery ... whatever. hell, she even gave one guy a porsche.

yes, it's good pr for everyone involved, but she still doesn't have to do it.

Posted Image
 

#3 of 55 OFFLINE   Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel

    Screenwriter



  • 1,210 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 22 1999

Posted September 13 2004 - 09:00 AM

Wow, that's great. Sure beats the incessant "who's your daddy" pregnancy shows on Maury! Posted Image
"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." Muhammed Ali, (Cassius Clay)

#4 of 55 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

    Producer



  • 5,514 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 04 2000
  • Real Name:Craig Seanor
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted September 13 2004 - 10:28 AM

Quote:
will definitely say this. she is truly philanthropic and i absolutely admire her for it.

Well, in this case it was Pontiac who footed the entire bill for the giveaway.

That's not to knock Oprah. She does seem to do a lot of good things.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

 

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.


#5 of 55 OFFLINE   James_Kiang

James_Kiang

    Screenwriter



  • 1,171 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 29 2000

Posted September 13 2004 - 11:14 AM

Do the recipients still owe any of the taxes on the car? If so, could Oprah/Pontiac cover that expense as well, or would that just be something more the people would owe tax on?

#6 of 55 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

    Producer



  • 5,656 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 22 1999
  • Real Name:Jay
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted September 13 2004 - 11:34 AM

Good gesture, but I can't help but thinking... great, that's all we need, 250+ more cars on the roads today.

Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#7 of 55 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

    Lead Actor



  • 8,399 posts
  • Join Date: May 08 2001

Posted September 13 2004 - 12:06 PM

james -

the article specifically states that pontiac will be paying for the taxes. otherwise, the winner usually pays.
 

#8 of 55 OFFLINE   Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

    Producer



  • 3,759 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 15 1999

Posted September 13 2004 - 01:42 PM

Quote:
Good gesture, but I can't help but thinking... great, that's all we need, 250+ more cars on the roads today.

250+ brand-new cars that meet all current emmissions standards. I'd bet that a lot of these will replace some pretty clunky gross polluters/gas hogs.
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

#9 of 55 OFFLINE   mark alan

mark alan

    Supporting Actor



  • 620 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 19 2002

Posted September 13 2004 - 02:17 PM

Quote:
the article specifically states that pontiac will be paying for the taxes.


I wonder if they are paying the taxes on the money that they will owe for the money that they receive to pay the taxes?

Wrap your mind around that one for a minute

#10 of 55 OFFLINE   James_Kiang

James_Kiang

    Screenwriter



  • 1,171 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 29 2000

Posted September 13 2004 - 03:43 PM

Doh, I didn't even check the article :b . I had heard thestory from some people at work and saw this thread, so I thought I would ask. Must....read....links.... Posted Image

#11 of 55 OFFLINE   Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

    Screenwriter



  • 2,968 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 30 2001

Posted September 13 2004 - 04:33 PM

I ended up watching the show. It was pretty crazy and a nice twist with how she gave them away. First gave away 11 cars. Then gave everyone in the audience a small box and told them that there was one more car to give away and in one of the boxes was a key. Everyone opened their box to find a key. Posted Image

She did a few other things on the show as well. Gave one woman a full scholarship to any school she chooses plus a $10k wardrobe. Gave another woman $130K to buy her house which was going to be reposessed in a couple weeks plus got her nearly every gadget, appliance, and toy that Best Buy sells as well as new stuff from Crate & Barrel.

Overall a pretty crazy show. It was like watching that movie with Richard Pryor where he had to spend $20m without getting anything to show for it. Posted Image

#12 of 55 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

    Lead Actor



  • 8,399 posts
  • Join Date: May 08 2001

Posted September 13 2004 - 06:07 PM

Quote:
Gave another woman $130K to buy her house which was going to be reposessed in a couple weeks plus got her nearly every gadget, appliance, and toy that Best Buy sells as well as new stuff from Crate & Barrel.
my wife said it wasn't going to be repoed.

the woman is a foster parent for eight kids and the home (that they were renting) was being sold. so oprah bought the house for the woman and furnished it. it takes a lot to be a foster parent, even more to do it for eight kids ... so kudos to her and oprah.
 

#13 of 55 OFFLINE   Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

    Screenwriter



  • 2,968 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 30 2001

Posted September 13 2004 - 07:18 PM

That's right, not repoed but they would have had to move out anyway.

It was a nice thing.

#14 of 55 OFFLINE   Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West

    Supporting Actor



  • 528 posts
  • Join Date: Jun 22 2000

Posted September 13 2004 - 11:50 PM

Quote:
my wife loves oprah, so i watch it once in a while.i will definitely say this. she is truly philanthropic and i absolutely admire her for it.

i've seen many shows where she does something really nice for a guest. she'll pay their taxes, fund their college expenses, get them out of debt, pay for their surgery ... whatever. hell, she even gave one guy a porsche.

yes, it's good pr for everyone involved, but she still doesn't have to do it.


Quote:
my wife said it wasn't going to be repoed.

the woman is a foster parent for eight kids and the home (that they were renting) was being sold. so oprah bought the house for the woman and furnished it. it takes a lot to be a foster parent, even more to do it for eight kids ... so kudos to her and oprah.


Sure, your wife loves Oprah and you only watch it once in a while. Posted Image Posted Image

#15 of 55 OFFLINE   Ken Chui

Ken Chui

    Supporting Actor



  • 976 posts
  • Join Date: Jun 20 2003

Posted September 14 2004 - 06:54 AM

I wonder what Oprah will do next year to kick off her 20th season (free houses? Posted Image ).

#16 of 55 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

    Lead Actor



  • 8,399 posts
  • Join Date: May 08 2001

Posted September 14 2004 - 07:28 AM

Quote:
Sure, your wife loves Oprah and you only watch it once in a while.
Posted Image good point. yikes, i think i watch it more then i realize.

this one came up specifically cuz i told her we were yappin' about it on geek-net (my affectionate term for this place...) Posted Image
 

#17 of 55 OFFLINE   Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

    Producer



  • 3,215 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 21 1999

Posted September 14 2004 - 07:35 AM

> the article specifically states that pontiac will be paying for the taxes.

In other words, license fees. The people will still have to pay income tax on the retail value of the cars. In some states they'll have a combined tax bill of about 40%, or $11,000. When they learn that, I predict a lot of these cars will get sold.

#18 of 55 OFFLINE   Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither

    Screenwriter



  • 1,370 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 12 2002

Posted September 14 2004 - 07:36 AM

Quote:
Good gesture, but I can't help but thinking... great, that's all we need, 250+ more cars on the roads today.

I agree and thank goodness it's coming from an American company as this will hopefully help promote some economic growth.

Quote:
250+ brand-new cars that meet all current emmissions standards. I'd bet that a lot of these will replace some pretty clunky gross polluters/gas hogs.


Agreed, wish more states had inspections.

#19 of 55 OFFLINE   John Alvarez

John Alvarez

    Screenwriter



  • 1,129 posts
  • Join Date: Sep 03 2004

Posted September 22 2004 - 05:09 AM

Update.


Quote:
The 276 audience members who received Pontiac G-6s on Winfrey's show will need to come up with thousands of dollars to cover taxes on their winnings.


#20 of 55 OFFLINE   Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel

    Screenwriter



  • 1,210 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 22 1999

Posted September 22 2004 - 06:32 AM

Pontiac will benefit from all the maintenance costs in the future.
"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." Muhammed Ali, (Cassius Clay)


Back to After Hours Lounge



Forum Nav Content I Follow