What's new

Everwood Season 3 ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
For the 4 Everwood fans, the season 3 premiere is tonight.

Ephram returns from a summer in New York and things aren't so well between him and Amy.

And, judging by the commercials, Scott Wolf lands in Everwood, taking up Harold's old location as a pipsqueak doctor.

LorenzoL

Second Unit
Real Name
Lorenzo
Wow, season premiere time already.

I think that Anne Heche will be joining this show for a few episodes.

I'm hoping that they show more of Nina this season and I'm glad that Madison is gone. Did not like Sarah Lancaster character at all.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Was Ephram trying to look like Wolverine? He looked like he aged 2 years over 8 weeks. Not crazy about the shaggy look on him. Looks like the summer was good to Amy's physique as well.

I'd forgotten how spastic Scott Wolf can be. Will he and Nina be hooking up, or making Andy jealous? Probably.

I hope they don't drag out the Madison secret and just deal with it. At least Ephram was wise to Andy's over-compensation of keeping the secret for him.

Delia's grown up a lot in 2 months too. She ain't afraid to call Ephram on the carpet when he's being a turd.

Glad to see Rose get into the title credits (new credits, BTW).

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It was... different.
The credits were a dramatic departure, more like the DVD menus that either of the first two seasons. A bit too slick and professional for my tastes; Everwood should always have that handworn feel to it. I also missed Irv's narration. It was replaced sort of successfully with all of the letters and text messages at the beginning. But the closing just didn't tie together satisfactorily without Irv.

I thought Mindy was an absolute bit-- in season 2. But I think she grilled Andy tonight, and it hurt 'cause it was all true. Andy took the easy way out and failed to fufill his responsibility as an adult. The letter conveyed the bitterness of such a betrayal well enough.

I'm not sure how I feel about Ephram's "studio"; which I guess is sort of the point. But the thing I was struck by was how little time in the episode was actually spent at familiar locations. A little kitchen and a little time at the the doctor's offices. But the majority of the episode felt foreign, even using familiar locations in unfamiliar angles and shot compositions. I never really felt settled, especially at the end.

There were some things I liked: Amy actually being happy and looking healthy. Delia having a role in the family other than just window dressing. The cohesive way that Andy, Nina, Delia, and Sam worked. Harold's nostalgia about his old office and the time he spent with his father. The way Bright was exactly like the Bright we know. The way Rose and Amy were actually bonding.

But all in all, I miss Irv, and I fear this won't get better as the season goes on.

The Delia plot is clearly already in motion, and the brewing mistrust between Andy and Ephram colors every moment between them. Amy, already through two relationships that ended horribly wrong, naturally feels insecure. She has been placed in the position Ephram was in in Season One, except Ephram's Colin is the piano. And then of course there's the carefree asshole Dr. Jake.

And then, next week, we add Hannah to the mix. This real frustrates me, as it's apparent to me now that the existing characters already have more than enough to get on with. They were part of what made Season 1 so compelling and made the town feel so insular. Dr. Jake makes sense, since he provides a storyline for Harold to bounce off of. But I still don't see why they even need a Hannah.

P.S. It bears repeating: bring back Irv!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Andy's going to miss that garage when it starts snowing.

I also missed Irv's larger perspective of each episode's contribution to the Andy Brown & company storyline (it feels like this story happened a decade ago at times when Irv narrates).

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Ditto on the Irv narration. They need to bring that back.

I felt uncomfortable as well during the episode, like too much had changed. Ephram's appearance, Harold moving in with Andy, Scott Wolf showing up. It was a bit too much too soon.

I would have preferred them holding off on the Scott Wolf character for one more episode and deal exclusively with Ephram's return and the repercussions of Andy's soap opera-ish deception (still no wild about that).

I still think that although he's mellowed a bit, Harold would have had a little stronger reaction to the news that the guy now dating his daughter knocked up his last girlfriend. He wouldn't have gone ape like he would have two seasons ago, but he wouldn't be as exactly supportive as he was.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I actually think they handled that well; you could tell that how Amy played into it all was Harold's immediate concern once Andy dropped the bombshell. But at the same time, they'd just finally come to terms with working together, so Harold had to be considerate of that. If anybody didn't react the way they should, it was Edna. I still don't see her taking the Madison business sitting down; even though she's clearly against his decision, I'd think she'd be more proactive about it.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
9/20/04 - "...There is a Reaction"
Damn Harold for making me love him again in his chat with Dr. Jake after making me hate him for advising Andy to do the wrong thing. Andy finally had it figured out; he'd come to all the right conclusions and was about to take exactly the right action. And then Harold shoots him down because his little girl was on the down and outs. Atleast he was honest about it.

The most striking thing for me in the whole episode was the look on Andy's face as he left the garage at the end. Ephram had just thanked him for being open, and that's just got to be soul crushing. It's too bad Andy won't open up until the ratings drive for November sweeps (at the earliest). I did like the way he was able to be open with Ephram about everything BUT Madison, but I still think if he's not the one to tell him, their relationship is doomed.

The Brown family dynamic hasn't gotten anywhere near the time it was afforded in the first two seasons thus far. This deeply troubles me for obvious reasons, but one interesting side effect is the short hand that's developed to convey as much as possible in as little time as possible: Delia stopping in the door of Ephram's room to tell Andy that Harold was at the door. Ephram resisting all of Andy's questions about what's going on but telling Delia upon the vaguest interest. It's neat little moments that play all the better because they're not driven home.

I also liked how this episode showed that Rose and Bright have a similiar relationship to Harold and Amy. It's nice knowing he's not forgotten; it's just been off camera until now. Bright's journey will be an interesting one, as it's not an area usually covered on television. Whenever most characters take a year to "find themselves" they're doing this super-glamourous stuff that the average teenage high school graduate couldn't dream of. The fact that he's getting a service industry job is both realistic and provides his character motivation to strive for something more, whether it be his own business or a higher education down the road.

Amy's doing the same things she did with Colin and the druggie. The difference, is this time the guy she's chosen is non-comatose/not a drug dealer. As such, it plays a little better. And Ephram's atleast as nuerotic as she is. It's fun to watch the way they circle each other doing exactly the same thing. I'd say it's quite daring for a show to depict a relationship without baggage, but then I remember that Madison quagmire...

Hannah thankfully wasn't introduced until a blip at the end, which gave them one more episode to play with the characters they've already got. Considering how little time was afforded to each storyline already, how can they fit one more?

I've got to re-iterate how much I loved that scene between Harold and Dr. Jake at the cars; it's the kind of moment they made time for in Season One. I wish there were more.

There was a lot cut from the MEOW. It was barely a presence in the episode, they dragged it out for the metaphor and put it to bed fairly quickly. I'm not liking the execution; hopefully the Anne Heche MEOW will have a little more meat to it.

I do like how Nina is utilized. One thing these two episodes have been better at than last year is using the characters who aren't involved in the main action of the episode. Last season, characters who weren't involved in the story arcs would disappear for six or more episodes at a time. Atleast this year, they're making an effort to have those characters interact in the settings they're associated with. When Andy's in Momma Joy's, he exchanges a few lines of conversation with Nina across the counter. When Andy's in the doctor's office, Edna makes her presence felt even if she's only brought in for a moment. Louise being part of Dr. Jake and Irv's Wellness Walk was a great little beat. I hope they continue with moments like this throughout the year; a lot less of the airtime seems devoted to exploring the nature of the town, but atleast those moments that are make the town feel inhabited. This episode gave a great feeling of community about Everwood, which Harold's speech just capped off perfectly.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
"Nice share, Hal!" :emoji_thumbsup:

Only Scott Wolf could pull off that line.

A lot was going on under the surface, and the parallel patient storyline with Andy's home life to hammer the point even more so.

Amy was so cute in this episode. I lurve her.

Wonder how the Nina's favor will impact Ephram (hope it's not a lame "puppy love" storyline).

Thank goodness the nasty sideburns are gone on Ephram.

Andy will need to come clean on the Madison issue, but they probably will save it for a sweeps episode.

Harold can be petty and self-serving one minute, and then be this breath of perspective and wisdom in the next.

It'd be hilarious if Bright were to go work for the new doctor (but the previews don't appear to go in that direction).

ChrisDixon

Second Unit

My wife said, "Does she have anything BUT tight tank tops?" To which I replied, "I'm not complaining!"

Like somone said earlier, I'm glad she's back to be normal... or as normal as high school can be.

Chris

So far I've been a bit disappointed with this season. I know it's still gearing up, but I can't help but wonder if it'll be the same with Berlanti spending most of his time on "Jack and Bobby."

While I do appreciate that they have given each character a little screen time, I also think that this may be the biggest problem so far. The first two episodes have felt very fragmented. Instead of focusing on a couple important stories and drawing us into them, they are introducing so many smaller stories that it's really hard to care much about any of them.

The writers seem to be spending so much time coming up with ways to mislead the audience into thinking Ephram will find out about Madison that they don't realize we would rather them forget about Madison and focus on the family and the town.

I'm probably being a little unfair since they are still introducing characters and showing how things have changed over the summer, but so far the episodes have lacked the emotion and flavor that have become standards for this program.

And I can't get past the missing Irv narration. It just isn't the same without Irv wrapping it up nicely in a tight bow and presenting it to us himself. My wife and I have started coming up with our own narrations to close out the shows. Sure the narrations were a bit forced, and sometimes a bit much... but they were another part of the Everwood charm.

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit
Chiming in as one of the 4 Everwood fans. ;)

It's nice to have it back. I knew it was different but I couldn't put my finger on it...Irv narration.

Jury's out. Still watching.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks