Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

What happened to DVDFile???

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
146 replies to this topic

#1 of 147 OFFLINE   Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor

• 631 posts

Posted September 13 2004 - 02:54 AM

This was brought up in the big Star Wars thread, but never answered.

Anyone know what is going on? I would have expected big coverage of the SW release.

#2 of 147 OFFLINE   Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight

Screenwriter

• 2,515 posts

Posted September 13 2004 - 03:05 AM

What do you mean? The site works fine for me.

EDIT - Never mind. I take it you're asking where their Star Wars DVD coverage is...there goes my 3rd grade reading comprehension.
Kyle McKnight

#3 of 147 OFFLINE   Vincent Matis

Vincent Matis

Second Unit

• 491 posts

Posted September 13 2004 - 03:07 AM

Quote:
What do you mean? The site works fine for me.

Last updated 10 days ago...

#4 of 147 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,264 posts

Posted September 13 2004 - 03:09 AM

I would think the staff is taking a much
needed vacation coming off of Labor Day.

I'm sure Bracke and company will be back shortly.

We look forward to it.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#5 of 147 OFFLINE   Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand

Screenwriter

• 1,269 posts

Posted September 13 2004 - 03:50 AM

For a few weeks now, when I've tried certain "Links" on the DVDFile site, I would get the message:
Quote:
Sorry. The administrator has banned your IP address. To contact the administrator click here
Everytime I've tried to email the problem to the contact addresses, the e-mails have all been returned "not deliverable".Posted Image Evidentally, something seems to have been brewing at Bracke's site for awhile.

Paul
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection

#6 of 147 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,630 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted September 13 2004 - 04:36 AM

He's probably too busy writing books and doing DVD commentaries.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#7 of 147 OFFLINE   Arnie G

Arnie G

Supporting Actor

• 662 posts

Posted September 13 2004 - 05:51 AM

What DVD commentary has he done/ is he doing?Posted Image
I've got my own Toto

#8 of 147 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,813 posts
  • LocationHollywood, California

Posted September 13 2004 - 05:52 AM

Ron, I appreciate/acknowledge the effort on behalf of a fellow Website operator to perhaps make sure that the thread doesn't turn into a slagfest, but be that as it may . . .

Paul, I concur: although I haven't (yet?) experienced the 'banned I.P. address' message, my e-mails to Peter to remind him to update his weekend b.o. overview over two weeks ago (a report that was last done for AVP winning the weekend of August 13-15) were bounced back to me.

Malcolm: What DVD(s) did Pete do commentary for?

-p

#9 of 147 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,630 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted September 13 2004 - 06:10 AM

Isn't he included on one of the upcoming "Friday the 13th: Ultimate Edition" discs? I thought I saw his name in that discussion.

EDIT: Here it is:

Commentary on FRIDAY THE 13th - PART 3 by author Peter Bracke and actors Larry Zerner, Paul Kratka, Dana Kimmell and Richard Brooker

Unless there's two of 'em. Posted Image

#10 of 147 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,813 posts

Posted September 13 2004 - 06:27 AM

Malcolm: Where's that quoted text from? -p

#11 of 147 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,630 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted September 13 2004 - 06:31 AM

From a post in the 32-page HTF discussion about the F13 set. That particular post is here.

#12 of 147 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,813 posts

Posted September 13 2004 - 06:50 AM

Of course now I wonder what Michael Elliot's source is--presumably a studio sell sheet for the release since he's an HTF reviewer. If this is the File's Peter, I presume this happened due to a relationship with Par's Martin Blythe. Interesting.

Interestingly, an Amazon search for Pete's name returns, of course, his DVD book but also David Grove's Making Friday The 13th: The Legend Of Camp Blood. Does anyone have the Grove book? Did Peter write a preface or something?

-p

#13 of 147 OFFLINE   DeanWG

DeanWG

Stunt Coordinator

• 89 posts

Posted September 13 2004 - 07:01 AM

I will concur with this thread. Over the past 12 months, DVDFile, which was my first and often only stop for DVD info, has gone by the wayside. There are several high level DVD titles that never saw the light of day for review at DVDFile. They used to have everything up right away. Now sometimes new releases appear days or even weeks past release date. I prefer to make my purchase decision in the first week for the best deals finacially, so I've decided to depend on other sites.

Just last night we watched Monster via Netflix, and I wanted to read a review from a reputable site as far as what they had to say about the disk. I was surprised to see that DVDFile never reviewed the title at all.

#14 of 147 OFFLINE   Jeff Ashforth

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted September 13 2004 - 07:13 AM

Not to mention that the review search function is totally useless...
Procrastinators unite, tomorrow.

#15 of 147 OFFLINE   david*mt

david*mt

Second Unit

• 306 posts

Posted September 13 2004 - 07:24 AM

Quote:
Not to mention that the review search function is totally useless...

That couldn't be more true. You can search for some titles that they have reviewed in the past and not get any results. If you go to DVD-Basen, however, the reviews are still available.

#16 of 147 OFFLINE   Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor

• 528 posts

Posted September 13 2004 - 07:51 AM

As of today, the 13th, it's still showing the last update as 9/3. With 10 days elapsing with no word, something has to have changed.

#17 of 147 OFFLINE   David Dias

David Dias

Stunt Coordinator

• 159 posts

Posted September 13 2004 - 08:31 AM

I know Peter Bracke wrote a DVD book recently, perhaps he's busy promoting it or whatever.

#18 of 147 OFFLINE   Matt Butler

Matt Butler

Screenwriter

• 1,921 posts

Posted September 13 2004 - 10:38 AM

Quote:
Interestingly, an Amazon search for Pete's name returns, of course, his DVD book but also David Grove's Making Friday The 13th: The Legend Of Camp Blood. Does anyone have the Grove book? Did Peter write a preface or something?

Peter Bracke wrote his own F13 book as well. It is called Crystal Lake Memories. So there are two F13 books to look forward to.
My Blu Rays
http://www.blu-ray.c...ol...=Dj Matt B

Favorite films of all time in no order
1. Zodiac 2. Dawn of the Dead (1978) 3. The Good The Bad and The Ugly 4. Blade Runner 5. The Warriors 6. Dark Knight 7. The Godfather  8. Bullitt 9. Experiment in Terror 10. Raiders of the Lost...

#19 of 147 OFFLINE   Arnie G

Arnie G

Supporting Actor

• 662 posts

Posted September 13 2004 - 11:03 AM

From a post on DvdFile forum:
The guy that runs it is on a leave of absence. It has taken us a few days to get our act together, but updates are planned to resume this week.

I guess they mean their webmaster???
I've got my own Toto

#20 of 147 OFFLINE   GeorgePaul

GeorgePaul

Second Unit

• 274 posts

Posted September 13 2004 - 11:14 AM

DVDFile has more than one webmaster, just like Peter Bracke is not their only contributing editor. Like Dean, I too joined this forum when the 'File started slowing down and have never looked back. In spite of the efforts of a couple decent site admins, the the juvenile, dull-witted rot slung around on the 'File forum has dropped the level of discourse there miles below this site, sadly. This site is far and away the superior site for DVD information and discussion, I have quickly discovered.
"Film is not created in a vacuum. Rather, it results from a combination of forces and personalities, coupled with limitations of time, budget, and technology, which all converge in a way that is unique to a moment in time."--Robert Wise

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow