What's new

Cellular anyone?? (1 Viewer)

Erin C

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone seen this yet?
I have been reading some pretty solid reviews,including Roger Ebert who said he liked it better than Phone Booth.

RichardReady

Auditioning
Saw it the other day and liked it. Probably not in my top 10, but a quite enjoyable hour & a half. Good mix of action, tension, and smiles. I thought that is was much better than Phonebooth, which I thought was a bit disappointing. You do find out "who dunnit and why" a bit early, but even that didn't seem so bad when it was all said and done. William H. Macy was very good in as much as he was used. I really wish that he would have been seen more.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Richard. A very enjoyable hour and a half in the theater. The filmmakers clearly had a lot of fun with the concept and many of the situations were very clever with a nice amount of humor added in. Basinger was very good and Will H Macy stole the show. I wasn't too hot on Chris Evans initially but his performance grew on me throughout the film and I enjoy Jason Statham in almost any role.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I'll echo those comments. Well done and a level above what I had any reason to expect. It is also superior to recent films likePhonebooth, although the comparison between them is pretty unfair.

For the most part, they managed to be continually inventive with their concept and never wore out the welcome. The action was well filmed and they got a fair amount of suspense during the key portions.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Saw it yesterday, and I too was impressed. I feel the same way as Kevin about Chris Evans. He grew on me during the film, and I ended up liking him a lot. Statham was great, and William H. Macy was hilarious. Not the smartest film around, but definitely a guilty pleasure.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member

I enjoyed it more than I expected I would but I wouldn't go far - have you seen Spartan?

Cellular was a "fun" concept and played on the over the top concept nicely. Kim Basinger & William H Macy were very good in their roles. The plot moved along at a brisk place, and the film didn't outstay its welcome.

CraigL

Screenwriter
How long does Chris Evans have his shirt off? That might be the make or break for me. ;)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I entered the film with low expectations, despite decent buzz, and came out of the film enjoying the crazy ride the film took the viewers on for 90 minutes.

This is one of those films where the audience gets into the film, and almost thinks it's getting to participate in what's going on on screen. We don't get shortchanged in the tension, or the action, and the film seldom drags. So moving at a brisk pace, even some of the stuff that stretches disbelief gets a pass because the film is having a lot of fun with the concept and execution of the script.

So ratchet down the expectations, and you'll have fun with this film.

I give it 3 stars or a grade of B.

MattGentry

Second Unit
Finally got around to seeing it today (just before the atrocity that was The Forgotten) and was pleasantly surprised.

A fast-paced, well-done thriller that had just the right amount of action, comedy, and fun.

However, the one thing that brought this movie down, for me at least, was Kim Basinger. Her performance in the first half was horrible, and only got mildly better towards the end.

William H. Macy, one of my favorite actors, was, as per usual, great, though terribly underused. Jason Statham, love him as I do, was very good as well. And Chris Evans did a very nice job as Ryan. Should prove to be quite a good actor, providing he chooses his roles wisely.

Definitely recommend.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
I saw Cellular today. I agree with much of what has been written here. The movie exceeded my expectations (which weren't high) and it was enjoyable. It moved right along, had a good mix of action, twists/turns and drama. I'd give it a solid B.

Dave Hackman

Stunt Coordinator
Listen, listen I need you to read this, don’t look away or open another application. I was kidnapped and tied to a theater chair by a well shaven man in blue jeans and forced to watch this movie. I have been reconnecting keyboard keys all day so I could relay this message to you and here it is. I would not go to see this unless you have a sense of humor because as a straight thriller this film SUCKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS Jabba the Hutt’s Trim-Spa body.

Kim Basinger has taken on this role with such zest that she has adopted Linda Hamilton’s Terminator 2 workout and has transformed herself from an attractive women into a Man Baby. She has the arms of a Kenyan marathon runner and the face of crack addict. Wow. Forget superficial things like looks; lets look at her acting and to say she one-ups William Shatner for overacting is an understatement. She takes the Stupid White Female role to a whole new level. Her ability to hit high notes like Mariah Carey during her abduction was an unexpected surprise to say the least. She would go from a frantic pull your hair out moment to a calm valium induced lecture that was so over the top I just wanted to stand up an applaud. I thought she could not be out done, but once I saw her husband played by Richard Burgi who also acted in this manner, I just sat back in my seat in disbelief and embraced this film as a good comedy. One scene that I just died laughing at, was the part where she is trying to incapacitate a kidnapper with her arms trembling like an eruption at Mount St. Helens and her husband tells their son not to watch his mother and too focus on him until she overtook took the man. Wow, now that’s what I call good parenting.

I thought it was ridicules that every stinking person in this film had a phone on his or her ear at the same time, until I left the theater and guess what? It’s true.

I pray that Kim and Richard were told to act like this, because if not this is the worst acting I have every seen and for the Love of Pete, please get some food in Kim before she becomes a strip pole in the next Beverly Hills Cop movie.

C

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Can't seem to find any official review thread for Cellular so I guess I'll post here. Got this in today from Netflix. I really enjoyed it.

The performances were good, and for the most part, believable. At first, I didn't think "Ryan" would be able to carry it but he did well. Macy was great as usual. And Basinger was effective. Good Lord, she's hot. :b

An effective thriller that I'm sorry I missed in theaters. Looking forward to seeing this again.

BTW, fantastic video quality and wonderfully immersive Dolby Digital track. New Line Cinema does outstanding work, indeed. :emoji_thumbsup:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thnnkfully, I saw this movie on DVD. I also didn't have to pay to see it, which was another bonus. As a thriller this film was lame. The writing was lame with one improbable action after another. There was an incident with two cell phones and an exotic sports car that was completely ridiculous. What the character did with the phones in that car was physically impossible. The fact that the writer used such a stupid deus ex machina to move the story showed how little he or she cared about what they were coughing up on paper. The characters also did stupid things that no rational person would do.

I agree with another poster here. This film, as an unintentional comedy, was a gut buster. As a serious thriller this movie was :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Comparing this film to Phone Booth IS unfair: unfair to Phone Booth that is.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I watched this last night with the wife and parents. Like Edwin, the fact that it cost me nothing is about the only good thing I can say about it. :)

I don't know that Kim Bassinger did a bad job but something about her performance was odd, her scenes almost seemed detached from the rest of the movie (not sure if that makes sense). Mostly I thought the writing was annoyingly bad.

:star:1/2/:star::star::star::star::star:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks