What's new

MD not picking up optical signal (1 Viewer)

Matt_ES

Agent
MDS-JB930, about 3 y/o MD deck & recorder.
Back in the day, I could record directly from my older Sony ES333 receiver, which was hooked up to my Dish Network receiver. All, via Optical cables.

It even recognized one tune to the next on the Music Channels, it was the best.

Now, it can't pick up a digital signal on my B&K, not on the Optical link. Only analog! It sucks. I can play back to the receiver from the Optical, but not to the receiver.

Also, I have a newer 6200 Motorola digital cable box, which is great, but that doesn't read on my MD either.

I've never used a digital (orange) coax, I tried an RCA cable. Is there a difference?

Is my MD busted? Is the signal of a newer technology that the MD doesn't understand? Should I go out and buy a digital coax instead?

Or should I get a newer deck?

Tanks in advance...
-matt

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Does it "pick up" CD's over optical? Does it ever say CAN'T RECORD in the readout? My MD decks won't record DVD's PCM output via digital input, sez can't record. It's very possible you're gettin' jam'ed.

What new deck would you get? Apparently you haven't looked lately. It's just portables anymore...

Matt_ES

Agent
No, it doesn't pick up the signal bars for L & R.
Everything goes thru the receiver, CD's, Cable, whatever.
I'd like to record FM sometimes, I can't even do that!

Never said can't record.

I haven't looked lately, but I'm sure there is a much more current model than mine. What the hell am I gonna do, go and get this thing fixed? Or spend a bill on a newer used one.

No brainer there.

I'm gonna test my portable and see if that gets a signal...

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I just got the latest Sony MD home recorder. (Rachael, they still make one--though I waited three months for my order to come through from J&R, always on backorder, no matter where on the web I went). I haven't had time to play with it but I expect it to work. I'll be trying it out in the next couple of days, I'll let you know.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Paul, did you get the 480 that so many sites are promising to get?

Matt, is there any chance that the optical switching in your reciever has gone amuck? Have you plugged stuff straight into the deck? I'd hate to go from a nice deck like a 930 to a feature starved deck like a 480. I could use another deck myself and the 480 is a depressing alternative to me...

Matt_ES

Agent
Naw, I was having problems with the Sony ES before this.
Besides, it's a B&K!!! (sweet, sweet, sweet)

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Rachael,

Yes, it is the 480. I know it's pretty slim in features but it was the only home deck I could find (and afford--some pro decks looked nice but were way too expensive). Until now, all I've had was a first generation portable Sharp (paid a lot of money back in the day--been bulletproof and the casing is much hardier than those you see today, but it's a pain to record with, so I got the home deck Sony).

I hope to have time to play with it this week. I have a jazz concert recorded on my PVR that I'd like to capture with the home deck.

Matt_ES

Agent
I think the crux of my original post, and what it all comes down to is this:

Are the current signals sent out via optical connex copy-proofed to fool the MD recording mechanism?

I want to treat my MD like a good old-fashioned tape recorder, and record anything that goes in or out of my receiver. But I can't. Not with the deck, nor with the portable!

Paul DA (Digital Analog?), let me know if you have a comparable setup to mine.

PS-U571 kicks ass on a good system. 220 meters never sounded so creepy!

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Paul, I'm tempted to buy one too and put it in my studio and extract my low-mileage 920 for other use. My problem with it , the 480, for real music listening is that's there's no optical out. Some years back their budjet models atleast had that. I had one and wish I hadn't sold it last year, now. One Call, seems to have an order registry and Crutchfield is offering e-mail notifications when stock arrives. Even Minidisco and Planet Minidisc have no home decks but the pro stuff at Minidisco...

It's discouraging!

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Matt, it's very possible. I wondered if some recent CD's I've bought are corupted somehow to anoy recordists. I forget which discs right off hand but I've encountered a few that seemed to make my CD recorder stop about 1 minute into the dub. They've had the gaul to do similar things aimed at computers. Funny, the same discs worked purr-fectly well going on MD. I do remember that and do remember that one of the afflicted CD's was a Sony label one. I'm suspicious....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks