What's new

*** Official STAR WARS DVD Glitch Thread (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
What does belong in this thread:

Any and all technical problems with the Star Wars DVDs. We're trying to avoid what happened with the Alien Quadrilogy thread, where glitch reports were mixed in with substantive discussion of the DVDs' content. This thread is designed to keep all glitch reports in one, easily-accessed location.

What does not -- repeat, NOT -- belong in this thread:

Discussion of deliberate changes to any of the films, either image or sound. Regardless of how one may view a particular change, such items are not glitches and do not belong here. Posts that do not address glitches will be deleted without further notice.

ADDED: For reference, here are the layer changes on the three discs:

M.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
OK, once again, with more emphasis:

"Deliberate changes" includes the new sound mix.

A number of posts have been deleted from this thread by various moderators. If you posted here, but your post is gone, it means it didn't belong here. Please don't repost it.

As a general rule, if you don't yet have the discs, you aren't in a position to report any glitches, and you're probably in the wrong thread.

M.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i dont yet have the discs, but i have to ask...is this just a thread that is here IF there are glitches, or are there people who have the discs that are having problems already?

CJ

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Would having the music reversed in the surround channels throughout Star Wars count as a glitch, or will that be lumped in with the "artisitic decisions", despite the fact that it completely throws off the music soundstage and is just plain wrong from any standpoint and any other previous mix? Because the music is backwards in the surrounds during the movie and doesn't correspond with the properly mixed front channels. For example, music that should come from the right side of the room is coming from the right front channel and left surround while sound effects are properly mixed.

Neil

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i dont get why neil continues to be scrutinized for his concerns with this set.
he obviously has a passion for the origional series and wants it to be right.

anyway i posted this in the other thread but no one noticed amongst all the bickering.

"neil did you notice an odd jump cut or what seemd like a missing frame or 2 in ANH during the scenes with the sand people as they were jumping onto the creature they were riding.

this is at the 28 minute 3 sec mark.

it just seems like an odd segment there as if a frame is missing and the music seems to be cut off right in the middle of a sound."

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
That's a good question, Tony, but I seem to remember that particular sequence always being a bit odd. Lucas seems to have a knack for jump cuts and clipped music to this day. I'm sure Neil will be able to tell you for sure without thinking twice.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
My interpretation is that this thread is for possible MANUFACTURING DEFECTS in the discs. Not for "incorrect" production decisions.

Please don't be offended. Many of us were adults when the first SW film came out. We did not grow up with SW, play with the SW toys, etc. They were just movies among many other movies we saw in our developing/ongoing/complicated adult lives, albeit IMO rather decent ones. We just want to relive the movies at home. To that end, it is virtually impossible to gain useful info from the SW threads, get a general impression of the DVDs, without wading through tons of (probably valid) nitpicking. The initial review helps a lot for sure, but after that...

So IMO it would be nice to have a "clean" thread for reporting actual defects with the discs, so that people can find very pertinent info easily. Yes, I know I'm not helping by posting this, but please help those who aren't fanatics and just want to simply enjoy the movies without getting *too* analytical. The fans will have no problem reading the whole of the other threads to find out the particulars of production glitches (aka decisions).

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
I bought a copy of the Region 2 ( UK & Ireland ) set today. Disc 4 is refusing to play on any of my DVD players. Anyone else have the same problem with this?

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

While I am certainly not helping the clutter in this thread either, I just want to go on record as saying an issue of the magnitude Neil has described should ABSOLUTELY remain in this thread until someone from Fox and/or Lucasfilm has commented on it.

I'm not going to pretend to up on all the nuances of DVD production, but, upon first blush, it seems to me that the issue Neil describes could be attributed to incorrect authoring of the discs. Or am I wrong? I'm actually very curious if anyone has an answer for that.

Thanks.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H

No, I don't think you're wrong. I also think the earlier question (thinking a frame or missing one) was a valid one even though it didn't turn out that way. The way Neil answered it with link was a good way to go about it too.

Had the DVD's really been mastered with frames missing everyone would want to know. I think audio being on the wrong channels sounds like a potential glitch, but then again it could be a new production preference.

If we consider that music dropout a true dropout instead of choice that would be a glitch too. By the way, that is atrocious, Neil. I can't belive that cue is gone during the Battle of Yavin. That was one of the best moments of the battle if not the film. It totally sucks with just the sound effects. What the hell happened?

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
2 Things I noticed on ANH. On the Death Star Explosion watch how quickly the colour fades. Seems a little odd to me. Also, there are a few areas of Blue Grain which may or may not be part of a newer shockwave animation enhancement. Again looks a little odd. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this. Is it deliberate or a mastering glitch?

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Look, until Neil - who I respect for his knowledge - can confirm that he actually has the actual retail discs and not internet bootlegs, then I can't take his comments on the actual surround mix seriously.

Having said that, it would seem to be a sizable production error to port the front left soundstage of the music tracks to the rear right channel, and vice versa. I've never heard of such a thing happening outside of mono presentations, where both rear channels play the same information. Interesting potential controversey to say the least. I say lay off the board crucifixion of Neil until the truth is known.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I had access to an actual rental disc. I did no downloading to get this. And even if I did, a digital bitstream like an AC3 audio track cannot possibly be changed to reverse just the music. It had to happen during the mix phase.

Plenty of people had early copies of this, I'm just the only one to notice this error.

Neil

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
There is no "board crucifixion" of anybody by anybody that I know of. I'm sure it wouldn't be allowed by the mods.

The thing is, re most issues that people have: do you really believe that the Star Wars owner has not scrutinized every millimeter of the process? Right up until the DVD "masters"? Decisions must be made to make progress, and sometimes in retrospect those decisions may not have been optimal, but were necessary to advance at the time. A reasonably good product, or no product at all, that's the result.

Still, errors can be made. However, IMO channels getting "rearranged" is probably not a glitch, it's a production decision, possibly ill-informed or erroneous. One of many such instances on the discs I'm led to believe. So, I do believe that it could be an error in the league of the Back to the Future trilogy ones, though not nearly as noticeable to the majority of people. Or possibly even more likened to that of the LFE missing from Jurassic Park dts track...but in that case it was completely necessary to the film in certain scenes and was very obviously a mistake.

I wonder just how many errors there are in the film versions of SW OT? Plenty I'd guess, without checking on a site that catalogs them. Betcha the SW owner knows. The benefit of owning something: you can do whatever the hell you want with it without having to ask people what they think about it...kinda why people like to own things.

Leroy

Second Unit
Any JVC (723GD is the one I have) DVD player owners already have this? I'm wondering if the subtitle (no alien language subs-commentary subs)/random menu(only one shows up unless you manually select a different one) problems from TPM and AOTC have reared their heads on the OT.

None of these is a deal breaker, just an annoyance. Funny that my favorite series of movies are the only ones I've ever had any sort of problem with!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
OK, one more time -- loudly for the cheap seats:

Seriously, the next person who makes us delete a post twice will find themselves deleted as well.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks