Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

how to connect "assistive hearing" device?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   GlennB

GlennB

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted September 11 2004 - 05:33 AM

The receiver for our HT is an Onkyo TX-SR600. Because I am in the category of "hard of hearing" I keep the volume setting louder than my wife, and others, prefer. Even when I wear hearing aids I need the volume to be louder than she, and others, would like.
I thought maybe a hearing assistive device such as are available in movie theatres would be a good solution to this problem. I saw a product advertised called "TV Ears". I'd like to give it a try.
But there appears to be a problem. The “TV Ears” device needs to be plugged into an audio output, such as an “Audio Out” jack or a headphone jack. My Onkyo TX-SR600 receiver does have a “Headphone Jack” but when you plug into it the speakers are turned OFF. I need the speakers ON for my wife to hear. I don’t know where else I could connect.
Any ideas?

Also, “TV Ears” is the only assistive hearing device I know of. Likely there are others. Any of you know?

Glenn

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted September 11 2004 - 10:18 AM

If the Onkyo has pre-outputs you can use those, but it may require some adapter cabling if the TV Ears are only set up for headphone jacks.

If there are no headphone jacks, tape monitor outputs could be used. That might be better, because it’s a constant-level signal (i.e., independent from the volume control).

Quote:
Also, “TV Ears” is the only assistive hearing device I know of. Likely there are others. Any of you know?
A Yahoo search turned up this. Pricier, but designed for signals from RCA jacks, it appears:

http://store.yahoo.c...intvaslide.html

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Michael.M.C

Michael.M.C

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted September 12 2004 - 02:47 AM

Do these devices have their own volume controls? Can these devices be used if the tv volume is turned completely down i.e. wife sleeping and I want to watch tv?

Thanks!