What's new

difference between the 34HF83, 34HF84 and the 34HFX84 picture wise? (1 Viewer)

Rolando

Screenwriter
Is there difference in PQ between 34HF83 and the 34HF84?

I can actually get this year's model the 34HF84 about $200 cheaper than last year's model. Any reason why? Is last year's model better?

And anyone know if there is a difference between the 34HF84 and the 34HFX84 picture wise?

I know the cinema series is bound have more features, better look/design but all I care about is PQ.

I can get the 34HF84 at a decent price and I want to know if it's worth it to go for the 34HFX84. If the picture is the same I will go for the 34HF84, all I need is a nice image.

Thanks.

sabryan

Grip
I am on a search for a 34HFX84 myself but I am only able to find them in Canadian sites, somehow they are not available here in the US.

Richard Paul

Stunt Coordinator
The reason you can get this years model cheaper than last years model is because HDTVs have gotten cheaper every year since they where first released. As for whether the 34HFX84 has a better picture than the 34HF84 that is not yet known. The first real reviews of the 34HFX84 are at least a month away. If I had to guess the actual picture tube and the vast majority of the electronics will be identical between the two. You can download Toshiba's manuals for the 34HF84 and 34HFX84 and compare the features. The only obvious differences between the models is the remote, selectable SVM (High/Low/Off), a 13 watt subwoofer, and the interesting fact that the 34HF84 uses 144 watts while the 34HFX84 uses 185 watts. This might mean that the 34HFX84 includes a better power supply, which tends to be one of the weaker components in modern televisions. Also after looking at the differences between the 34HF84 and the 34HFX84 at Crutchfields it states that both have SVM but only the 34HFX84 lets you turn it off. If this is true then that alone would be good reason to go with the 34HFX84. An interesting thread that talks about SVM and the Toshiba 34HFX83 can be found here and a general thread on SVM can be found here.

Rolando

Screenwriter
Oh wow, thanks, I did not even know what SVM was. So is it a fact that in CANNOT be turned off on the 34HF84?

I had a good deal for it, no idea how much more I might have to pay for the 34HFX84...

Bill Will

Screenwriter
To me the BIG difference between them is that the "HFX" has 2 HDMI Inputs & the "HF" only has 1. I was also surprised to see the "X" on Crutchfield's website because Toshiba's policy on their "Cinema Series" has always been that they can only be sold in "Selected Stores" & not on-line. I known J&R has them in their stores but they will not sell them on-line & when they made a few exceptions in the past they got in BIG Trouble with Toshiba. Either Toshiba has changed their policy in the USA on the "Cinema Series" or the "X" on Crutchfield's site is only ment for their stores?

I've have had the 34HFX84 for about two weeks now (via online ordering at Electronic Express.com). Unfortunately, I am not as satisfied with the picture as I was hoping. The picture seems very unnatural. Shadowing looks like a topographic map. Some programs are more so than others (Especially while watching satellite programs via Dish Network). I am looking into getting a calibration DVD today to see if that helps (SVM is already turned off). I am going to try the Video Essentials one first and see if that helps. I have e-mailed Toshiba Customer Care and they said to call the toll-free number. Haven't had a chance to call them during "in-hours" yet.

Hope I didn't just waste $1400 dollars.

-Lou

Rolando

Screenwriter
so has anyone seen the 34HFX84? I have not gotten a chance to view one but on paper sounds like the way to go. I am also getting a good deal but don't want to find out once it's home that I should have gone another route.

sabryan

Grip
Does anybody knows if this supports 720p?

If that is the case, suggest a different model, I only have 34" to play, to fit it into my TV Armoire.

Thanks

Sebastien S

Second Unit
I just received word from the store... My 34HFX84 has arrived, they are delivering it on Saturday.

I'll let you know how it looks after I get it.

Rolando

Screenwriter
Dude I think I am more excited than you are!

sabryan, specs do seem to indicate support for 720p.

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
As far as SVM goes, there is a menu option that allows it to be turned off on all new 'X' or 'Cinema Series' models, but that is not a huge deal since on the regular models you can turn it off by making your color/contrast/brightness etc adjustments by simply starting in 'Movie' mode as opposed to standard or sports.

sabryan

Grip
Actually the manual does not said, since most of us like sports, and ESPN is the one to watch, the only transmit in 720i and it will be a huge incentive for me to buy this unit.

Sebastien S can you please verify that when you get your unit.

Thank you

PLayed around with the Video Essentials DVD. It seemed to help some. I also called the Toshiba help desk and they said that SD programming will not be as sharp as HD programming. They also said that the veiwing distance for this TV is rated at 12 feet and mine is 9 feet.

I can't wait to hear back from others who have purchased this TV.

Thanks,

-Lou

JasonLC

Stunt Coordinator
All of the new toshiba HF and HFX series HDTVs support 720P input and upconvert them to either 540P or 1080i and they do a great job of it. Quality control of the early batches of the 30HF84 seems to be bad though.

sabryan

Grip
JasonLC , have you actually seen the 720i in use, or you are just making and assumption?

I was told it did not do 720 natively.

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
they do not do 720p natively. They do 1080i natively (unlike a DLP for LCD RPTV that is 720p native)... but if you feed them a 720p signal, they will display it as 1080i with no issue whatsoever

Sebastien S

Second Unit
Got my 34HFX84 today...

This is an somewhat, early review. Either tomorrow or Monday, I will post again and post a more thorough review including how DVD's look on this baby.

I have only had a little bit of time to play with the set, but let me tell you right away... I am VERY pleased! :D :emoji_thumbsup:

First the set arrived this morning around 11:30 AM. It took a good 15 minutes for the guys who delivered it to manage to take it out of the box. You would think that they could make a box that opens very easily from the sides... As it is nearly impossible to get the set out of the box from the top (given the weight of the set).

After ripping the box to shreads, I placed it on my counter where my previous Toshiba 34HDX82 was.

At first glance, the set looks somewhat smaller than my previous set... But the screen is the same size (34"), however the frame around the screen is somewhat smaller/thinner. I see this as a good thing as it will take less place for those who require it.

Now out of the box, the set is of course not properly calibrated and way to bright! The first thing to do is to take it off the "Sport" setting and place it to "standard" setting until you are ready to calibrate the set manually which will place the setting to "preference".

Next thing to do is to turn off the damn "SVM", which you can do in the menu. You can also switch the "DNR" off if you which or leave it on "Auto".

Another thing that I switched off is the "automatic aspect ratio", I prefer to set this myself manually.

Now, as I was looking at the set... I could see that the image was somewhat "crooked"... The image seemed to tilt slightly to the left. Fortunately, this can also be corrected in the menu.

After arranging all of these things and calibrating one of my inputs, I can safely recomend this TV to anyone!

Standard non-HDTV programming looks very decent. The TV does have "minor" geometry issues (really just a few) but it actually has less than my previous set (34HDX82) and that set had pratically none! I doubt that many people will notice unless they look really hard for it or are extremely experience in video HDTV quality. Even then, this can easily be lived with or at the most, corrected easily by a professionnal ISF calibrator.

Just one thing I feel the need to mention... People who have a home theater system and place their "center channel" speaker on top of their TV might want to find another place to set it. All my speakers are shielded and I used to have the center channel on the top of my two previous TV's, I never had any problems... However, as soon as I placed my center channel on top of this TV, a purple discoloration started forming at the top of the screen right under the right part of my speaker. I removed it immediately and the purple effect dissapeared. Later I tried again and as soon as I placed it on the set, the purple effect returned.

I don't know why this is? Perhaps this set is more sensitive than others??? Fortunately, I have shelves on the wall right above my TV so I place my center channel in the bottom shelf (right above the set) and everything is fine. If this is the biggest problem this set has, I can definitely live with it!

Piture quality seems excellent but I will be able to tell more tomorrow when I finish calibrating it for my DVD player (Panasonic DVD-RP 82).

I will post again tomorrow or Monday and follow up this review.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks