Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

List of short-lived/canceled series on DVD ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#1 of 38 ONLINE   MattHR

MattHR

Screenwriter

• 1,497 posts

Posted September 09 2004 - 04:48 PM

I was thinking about "Keen Eddie", "Harsh Realm" and "Freaks and Geeks". All were shows that were canceled without completing their first season, but were released on DVD anyway.

There are two shows that I'd love to have on DVD: "Now and Again" and "Jake 2.0". They were similar shows, about guys who suffered serious accidents then were "rebuilt" to become secret government agents (like "The Six Million Dollar Man".)

"Now and Again" ran for one full season that ended with a cliff-hanger, but was not renewed for a second season. (At least I have the script for the unfilmed conlusion.)

"Jake 2.0" was canceled after only twelve episodes, with four that were filmed but not broadcast. (The last broadcast episode guest-starred Lee Majors of "The Six Million Dollar Man".)

What are some other shows that have been released on DVD that were canceled during their first seasons? Or shows that may have run longer than one season, but were canceled later, without any sort of finale or satisfactory conclusion.

#2 of 38 OFFLINE   Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,330 posts

Posted September 09 2004 - 06:22 PM

Firefly
Coming soon: Greg The Bunny

There are more, and IIRC there's another similar thread already.

#3 of 38 ONLINE   MattHR

MattHR

Screenwriter

• 1,497 posts

Posted September 09 2004 - 06:29 PM

Quote:
There are more, and IIRC there's another similar thread already.

I thought there might be, but several searches came up with nothing.

#4 of 38 OFFLINE   Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,330 posts

Posted September 09 2004 - 09:42 PM

IIRC, the title of that thread isn't remotely similar to yours. Sorry, I can't remember what the title was, maybe you'll have to "manually" read the titles of all TV software threads of the past month or two?

#5 of 38 OFFLINE   Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,490 posts

Posted September 09 2004 - 11:35 PM

"The Young Ones" and the live-action "The Tick" qualify. "Undeclared" is another one that's forthcoming. But the one I'd really like to own is "Square Pegs". C'mon, Columbia!

#6 of 38 OFFLINE   Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight

Screenwriter

• 2,515 posts

Posted September 10 2004 - 01:55 AM

The Tick was awsome! I can't wait for Greg The Bunny.

To add something to the thread, Wonderfalls is coming up. Gonna be good to see all of those eps.
Kyle McKnight

#7 of 38 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,923 posts

Posted September 10 2004 - 02:07 AM

Quote:
(At least I have the script for the unfilmed conlusion.)

I would love to hear how it was resolved. Since this show airs on Scifi once and a while. I wished Scifi would have done a conclusion movie.(But, thats another subject.)

I also agree with Jake 2.0. I do know that the other 4 unaired episodes did air in Europe and elsewhere.

I would want to add Special Unit 2.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#8 of 38 OFFLINE   ScottCor

ScottCor

Stunt Coordinator

• 85 posts

Posted September 10 2004 - 03:35 AM

Brought this over from my post on the obscure thread..

1."My Life and Times" (1991) only ran 6 episodes with Helen Hunt. I thought it was a great show.I would buyit even for the 6.

2. "Nowhere Man" (1995) 1 season ,and would buy it in a second, quality TV...on UPN at the time and quality was a bad word.

3. "Midnight Caller" (1988) 61 episodes...Oh please..please!!

#9 of 38 OFFLINE   Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted September 10 2004 - 05:22 AM

The "Planet Of The Apes" TV series (1973), which only lasted 14 episodes (1 unaired during the original run) also falls into this category. As does the one-season classic "Battlestar Galactica" (1978).

#10 of 38 OFFLINE   Magnus T

Magnus T

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted September 10 2004 - 06:47 AM

My favorite show "American Gothic" comes to mind...
There is no spoon...
but there is a fork with a cork!

#11 of 38 OFFLINE   Jonathan_Clarke

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit

• 485 posts

Posted September 10 2004 - 07:35 AM

"The Young Ones" ran two seasons. They were just six episode seasons on the BBC. It's not uncommon for popular BBC shows to have few episodes. "Fawlty Towers" was one of teh most popular shows on the BBC and it only had 12 episodes!

"The Ben Stiller Show" definitely qualifies. I'd throw "Invader Zim" in too although it was too sporadic seasons.

I really want "Andy Richter Controls the Universe" but so far have heard nothing.
www.notinmybook.comWhere I can complain and complain and complain.

#12 of 38 OFFLINE   Mark To

Mark To

Supporting Actor

• 574 posts

Posted September 10 2004 - 07:59 AM

I know for many people the world didn't begin until 6 years ago and I'm happy for those of you who actually care about these new shows that you are getting them released. But what about:

Way Out - 14 episodes
Coronet Blue - 13 episodes
T.H.E. Cat - 26 episodes
He and She - 26 episodes
Captain Nice - 15 episodes
Sons and Daughters - 10 episodes

#13 of 38 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,271 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted September 10 2004 - 08:35 AM

That's not fair to say that for them the world began "6 years ago," especially if they were born in 1998.

Short-lived shows from 40 or 50 years ago are seldom remembered, but others are fresher in people's minds.

That being said, my mom would probably like to see "My World and Welcome To It" again on disc.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#14 of 38 OFFLINE   ScottCor

ScottCor

Stunt Coordinator

• 85 posts

Posted September 10 2004 - 08:40 AM

I can only put shows I've actually seen..relax..Posted Image

#15 of 38 OFFLINE   Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,490 posts

Posted September 10 2004 - 11:21 AM

Released but not mentioned in thread yet:

My Big Fat Greek Life (stupid)
Dilbert
My So-Called Life
The Critic

I was one of the few who tuned into ABC Friday nights a couple years ago to see That Was Then. I loved that show and then all of a sudden, it was gone from the lineup -- replaced by repeats of America's Funniest Home Videos. I felt cheated because every episode was a cliffhanger. I heard some of the unaired eps wound up being broadcast on ABC Family, but I don't know how many ever aired or were produced (probably 4 or 5). I would be willing to invest in the complete series, but I doubt anything related to the show will ever surface again. Too bad because I had heard that an ABC exec with major pull liked it and wanted to bring it back mid-season or summer and give it a second chance. Guess that didn't pan out.

#16 of 38 OFFLINE   Tory

Tory

Screenwriter

• 1,321 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted September 10 2004 - 02:23 PM

Sledge Hammer lasted two seasons and 1 is on DVD.
The Ropers and Three's a Crowd seem DVD bound. The Jetsons only lasted 1 Season, originally anyway, and it is on DVD. Top Cat had one Season and it is coming. Fractured Flickers was short and it is on DVD.
Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

#17 of 38 OFFLINE   Duane R

Duane R

Second Unit

• 297 posts

Posted September 10 2004 - 02:41 PM

Sign me up for Brimstone if it ever comes.
Six worlds prayed to her, they built her temples, conquered planets, and yet one day she still rode off and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying he said "We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?" and she looked down upon him and she whispered, "Because I can".

#18 of 38 OFFLINE   Ron_Wi

Ron_Wi

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted September 10 2004 - 02:46 PM

Grosse Pointe......17 eps.

#19 of 38 OFFLINE   LukeB

LukeB

Screenwriter

• 2,179 posts

Posted September 10 2004 - 04:26 PM

Saved By The Bell: The College Year(s)

#20 of 38 OFFLINE   RyanAn

RyanAn

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted September 10 2004 - 05:27 PM

With Harsh Realm released, I can only hope to see my other Fox Faves come out soon:

Freakylinks
NightVisions
Lone Gunmen - PLEASE, OH PLEASE!

Pitts, The - I like it, sorry.
Oliver Beene - Canceled?

Ryan

Forum Nav Content I Follow