What's new

How to break the news to the wife? (1 Viewer)

Tony Baker

Grip
I was looking at the SVS website the other day and they had a B-stock PC Ultra. I had a meeting to attend, so I figured I would wait and think about it. The meeting lasted about an hour and when I checked back the sub was gone. Man was I kicking myself. I checked back about 15 minutes later still in disbelief that I did not order it when I had the chance. Damn if there wasn't another one on the site. I ordered it right away. Still haven't told the wife. I figure I have a few more days to come up with a good explanation.

Wondering what others think of this model. I have not been able to find a lot of info or reviews. Would the reviews of the CS Ultra be the same with the same amount of power going to both?

Fred_Krampits

Stunt Coordinator
Just remind the wife of how many clothes that she has bought are in the closet hanging there barely used and how you will be putting the sub to almost daily use! ;)

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Tony,

The longer the wait, the worse it's gonna' get -- women have a way of knowing when you're hiding something from them, so the longer you are, the more peeved she's gonna' be. Tell her you'd been eyeing one of these for a long time, and they had one, just *one* at a special price, and you knew if you didn't jump at it someone else would, so you didn't have time to consult her before making the purchase.

-Robb

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Can you get it in and setup before she comes home? Jusdt let her know what you bought and why. See what happens.

Kevin

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
>>Still haven't told the wife. I figure I have a few more days to come up with a good explanation.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Tell her it's a new water heater.

Just don't tell her :D Let it show up and watch the look on her face. Then take her out for a nice dinner. :)

LOL!

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
Just the other day my wife said she was suprised that she doesnt even the notice the pc+ 16-39 anymore. If you have a good corner location or other non-high traffic area they do "disappear" after a couple of weeks (and not becasue someone stole it :D ).

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Don't tell her anything, set it up and act like it isn't there.

Wife: What's that?
Tony: What's what?
W: That huge thing in the corner?
T: What, the wall?
W: In front of the wall.
T: The carpet?
W: No, that big ass black thing.
T: What, there a spider or something?

(Tony puts in Toy Story 2)

W: ...

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
I have a certain amount of experience in these matters (ordering stuff THEN explaining it to "her") ...

Start her off by showing her the Krell site, with the Master Reference subwoofer at $30,000 ...

The KEY is to look sincere that you GOTTA have that subwoofer...

She will eventually ask (eventually meaning within hours)... "Honey, there MUST be something for less $$$$ that will work, isn't there?"

Done Deal...:)

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
You have to tell the truth.. Its a mini ballistic missle for when the house is under terrist attack.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
So did you tell her? Over the last year I've replaced my speakers(Paradigm Mini Monitors to Studio(v3)40/20/570). Added a Monster AVS2000. Only yesterday did my wife notice the Monster and asked if it was new. I told her it was a trade I made. My $$$ to the dealer for the Monster. She still hasn't noticed the speakers.

Kevin

Jake S

Stunt Coordinator
i could tell you that there are a couple of things you could glue to the top that might make her more comfortable with it

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
Buy a big houseplant and put it in front of the sub to try and get it to disappear into the room better.

Tony Baker

Grip
I still haven't told her yet. Although I did tell her I was thinking about selling my old sub. She told me she thought we needed a new receiver. Go figure. I was thinking of showing her this "funny" thread of a "similar" situation and seeing if she puts it all together.

Scheduled delivery for Tuesday in Bismarck. Arrived in Minneapolis early this morning. Maybe it will get here early. I can hardly wait.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Tony,

Flowers and candy, and a firm grasp of your anatomy has been know to work wonders (not necessarily in that order ;^).

That's right SVS is full of ALL sorts of advice ;^)

One note on the order. There really was only the one PC-Ultra. If someone puts it in a cart/order it's removed off the site a an hour (IIRC). If it's not finally ordered in that time it automatically goes back up.

In any case, if you set things up, and proceed to watch a movie she might like, well, the moment of acceptance of your transgression will be quickly over.

I do second the idea of a plant next to the PC-Ultra. People rarely even notice an SVS cylinder sub in a room when it's in a corner with a plant (of course there are plenty of folks that show their SVS's off as a centerpiece of their system. There's all kinds out there.

In the end it's the sound that win your wife over. I've long ago lost track of how many once skeptical wives are now doing demos for THEIR friends (and more than a few are the ones that gave hubby the idea for the upgrade in the first place).

Of course in a pinch you can always use Craig's advice and tell her you got a world-class sub but saved $28,850 in the process I suppose.

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks