Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

How to break the news to the wife?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#1 of 35 OFFLINE   Tony Baker

Tony Baker

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted September 09 2004 - 12:12 PM

I was looking at the SVS website the other day and they had a B-stock PC Ultra. I had a meeting to attend, so I figured I would wait and think about it. The meeting lasted about an hour and when I checked back the sub was gone. Man was I kicking myself. I checked back about 15 minutes later still in disbelief that I did not order it when I had the chance. Damn if there wasn't another one on the site. I ordered it right away. Still haven't told the wife. I figure I have a few more days to come up with a good explanation.

Wondering what others think of this model. I have not been able to find a lot of info or reviews. Would the reviews of the CS Ultra be the same with the same amount of power going to both?

#2 of 35 OFFLINE   Fred_Krampits

Fred_Krampits

Stunt Coordinator

• 81 posts

Posted September 09 2004 - 12:14 PM

Just remind the wife of how many clothes that she has bought are in the closet hanging there barely used and how you will be putting the sub to almost daily use! Posted Image
The Man who coined the phrase "Maniac: The Citizen Kane of Horror Movies"

My DVDs

#3 of 35 OFFLINE   Robb Roy

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor

• 711 posts

Posted September 09 2004 - 12:30 PM

Tony,

The longer the wait, the worse it's gonna' get -- women have a way of knowing when you're hiding something from them, so the longer you are, the more peeved she's gonna' be. Tell her you'd been eyeing one of these for a long time, and they had one, just *one* at a special price, and you knew if you didn't jump at it someone else would, so you didn't have time to consult her before making the purchase.

-Robb

#4 of 35 OFFLINE   Kevin. W

Kevin. W

Screenwriter

• 1,546 posts

Posted September 09 2004 - 12:39 PM

Can you get it in and setup before she comes home? Jusdt let her know what you bought and why. See what happens.

Kevin

#5 of 35 OFFLINE   steve nn

steve nn

Screenwriter

• 2,420 posts

Posted September 09 2004 - 01:50 PM

>>Still haven't told the wife. I figure I have a few more days to come up with a good explanation.<<

Thats a original Tony. Not sure I have seen that in the past or not here on the ForumPosted Image I'm sure it will be on your mind until you come clean though. I have a few stories but i'll spare you.

I bet you picked up the PC-Ultra I sent back or should I say possibly. Lets hope so because that's one performer of a sub.

Both PC-CS Ultra subs are the same but the PC will have some built in EQ and of course the subsonic filter. All reviews I can think of with the CS-Ultra are with the first generation TV-12 Ultra driver also. Maybe Ed will come along and give a little more of a detailed answer?

#6 of 35 OFFLINE   Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter

• 1,127 posts

Posted September 09 2004 - 03:09 PM

Still time to shop for jewelry.

#7 of 35 OFFLINE   KeithY

KeithY

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts

Posted September 09 2004 - 03:53 PM

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission

#8 of 35 OFFLINE   Edward J M

Edward J M

Screenwriter

• 2,031 posts

Posted September 10 2004 - 03:51 AM

"You'll get over it" works well for me.
Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Relations

SVS

www.svsound.com

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

#9 of 35 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted September 10 2004 - 04:19 AM

Tell her it's a new water heater.

Just don't tell her Posted Image Let it show up and watch the look on her face. Then take her out for a nice dinner. Posted Image

Quote:
Still time to shop for jewelry.

LOL!
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#10 of 35 OFFLINE   Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit

• 483 posts

Posted September 10 2004 - 06:52 AM

Just the other day my wife said she was suprised that she doesnt even the notice the pc+ 16-39 anymore. If you have a good corner location or other non-high traffic area they do "disappear" after a couple of weeks (and not becasue someone stole it Posted Image ).

#11 of 35 OFFLINE   steve nn

steve nn

Screenwriter

• 2,420 posts

Posted September 10 2004 - 07:12 AM

Thats a good point Andrew.Posted Image

#12 of 35 OFFLINE   Joe Szott

Joe Szott

Screenwriter

• 1,962 posts

Posted September 10 2004 - 11:06 AM

Don't tell her anything, set it up and act like it isn't there.

Wife: What's that?
Tony: What's what?
W: That huge thing in the corner?
T: What, the wall?
W: In front of the wall.
T: The carpet?
W: No, that big ass black thing.
T: What, there a spider or something?

(Tony puts in Toy Story 2)

W: ...

#13 of 35 OFFLINE   Craig Chase

Craig Chase

Screenwriter

• 1,453 posts

Posted September 10 2004 - 11:12 AM

I have a certain amount of experience in these matters (ordering stuff THEN explaining it to "her") ...

Start her off by showing her the Krell site, with the Master Reference subwoofer at $30,000 ...

The KEY is to look sincere that you GOTTA have that subwoofer...

She will eventually ask (eventually meaning within hours)... "Honey, there MUST be something for less $$$$ that will work, isn't there?"

Done Deal...Posted Image
Craig Chase

#14 of 35 OFFLINE   MikeLi

MikeLi

Supporting Actor

• 945 posts

Posted September 10 2004 - 12:53 PM

You have to tell the truth.. Its a mini ballistic missle for when the house is under terrist attack.

#15 of 35 OFFLINE   Kevin. W

Kevin. W

Screenwriter

• 1,546 posts

Posted September 10 2004 - 03:59 PM

So did you tell her? Over the last year I've replaced my speakers(Paradigm Mini Monitors to Studio(v3)40/20/570). Added a Monster AVS2000. Only yesterday did my wife notice the Monster and asked if it was new. I told her it was a trade I made. My $$$ to the dealer for the Monster. She still hasn't noticed the speakers.

Kevin

#16 of 35 OFFLINE   Jake S

Jake S

Stunt Coordinator

• 119 posts

Posted September 10 2004 - 07:46 PM

i could tell you that there are a couple of things you could glue to the top that might make her more comfortable with it
let your own ears decide,
do blind, comparative listening tests....

#17 of 35 OFFLINE   Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor

• 784 posts

Posted September 11 2004 - 01:28 AM

Buy a big houseplant and put it in front of the sub to try and get it to disappear into the room better.
"It sounds like it's barfing out the bass." - Zach

#18 of 35 OFFLINE   Tony Baker

Tony Baker

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted September 11 2004 - 05:04 AM

I still haven't told her yet. Although I did tell her I was thinking about selling my old sub. She told me she thought we needed a new receiver. Go figure. I was thinking of showing her this "funny" thread of a "similar" situation and seeing if she puts it all together.

Scheduled delivery for Tuesday in Bismarck. Arrived in Minneapolis early this morning. Maybe it will get here early. I can hardly wait.

#19 of 35 OFFLINE   Philip_T

Philip_T

Supporting Actor

• 876 posts

Posted September 11 2004 - 05:18 AM

You have to tell the truth.. Its a mini ballistic missle for when the house is under terrist attack.

LOL

#20 of 35 OFFLINE   SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter

• 1,074 posts

Posted September 11 2004 - 06:43 AM

Tony,

Flowers and candy, and a firm grasp of your anatomy has been know to work wonders (not necessarily in that order ;^).

That's right SVS is full of ALL sorts of advice ;^)

One note on the order. There really was only the one PC-Ultra. If someone puts it in a cart/order it's removed off the site a an hour (IIRC). If it's not finally ordered in that time it automatically goes back up.

In any case, if you set things up, and proceed to watch a movie she might like, well, the moment of acceptance of your transgression will be quickly over.

I do second the idea of a plant next to the PC-Ultra. People rarely even notice an SVS cylinder sub in a room when it's in a corner with a plant (of course there are plenty of folks that show their SVS's off as a centerpiece of their system. There's all kinds out there.

In the end it's the sound that win your wife over. I've long ago lost track of how many once skeptical wives are now doing demos for THEIR friends (and more than a few are the ones that gave hubby the idea for the upgrade in the first place).

Of course in a pinch you can always use Craig's advice and tell her you got a world-class sub but saved $28,850 in the process I suppose.

Ron