Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Slow times in the movie watching

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   LanieParker

LanieParker

Supporting Actor

• 735 posts

Posted September 09 2004 - 06:46 AM

Right now there really isn't anything I just absolutely want to see in the theaters.... it's weird for me, because we use to go to a movie like every other week.

Hopefully, some good movies come out that actually peak my interest.

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   Mark Philp

Mark Philp

Second Unit

• 302 posts

Posted September 09 2004 - 07:26 AM

I agree, my wife and I just started our vacation, and for reasons I won't go into, we posponed a trip and will be staying around town. I figured it would give us a chance to catch up on the latest movies. Well, after looking at the listings in the paper I guess we'll be stocking up at the video store instead.

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   DonRoeber

DonRoeber

Screenwriter

• 1,851 posts

Posted September 09 2004 - 07:31 AM

I just saw three movies that I thought were fantastic. Probably the best I've seen all year.

Hero
Garden State
Before Sunset

As far as big action movies go, yeah, it's kinda bleak. But Sky Captain is opening soon.
Luckily, right at that moment, an unconscious Argentinean fell through my roof.

He was quickly joined by a dwarf dressed as a nun.

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted September 09 2004 - 08:04 AM

Late Aug-Sept traditionally sucks... We are in the lull before the the Holidays/Oscar season. That said, I saw and liked Garden State and We don't live here anymore last week. Need to get around to Hero. I am PISSED that I missed Maria Full of Grace Posted Image.

--
H

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S

Producer

• 4,468 posts

Posted September 09 2004 - 12:56 PM

Hmmmmm, although we don't have as many choices as some cities, I'm having a hard time keeping up by going to 2 or 3 a week. Have seen recently: Tae Guk Gi, Purple Butterfly, Vanity Fair, Intimate Strangers, We Don't Live Here Anymore, Garden State, Open Water.

Will see "Cellular" this week, and "Criminal" if it opens here. . .

*edit* Oh, well, no "Criminal" yet, but "Maria Full of Grace" and "The Mother" are opening!

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   Rob P S

Rob P S

Screenwriter

• 1,995 posts

Posted September 09 2004 - 01:36 PM

I'm seeing Open Water this weekend (at a theater that's closing after Sunday), and am interested in Mr. 3000, Sky Captain, Ladder 49, Friday Night Lights, and Ray.

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   TommyT

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator

• 243 posts

Posted September 10 2004 - 06:00 AM

Actually, Garden State was the 1st new film I'd seen in several weeks. The last was Collateral.

BTW, Garden State is worth seeing! One of the best films I've seen this year!
It has to start somewhere, it has to start sometime,
What better place than here? What better time than now?

-Rage Against the Machine

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted September 10 2004 - 06:39 AM

I rarely have a desire to watch newer films. I keep track of the movies I watch every year, and so far I've seen 214 titles for 2004... but only 5 of those were new theatrical features.

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   hanson mat

hanson mat

Stunt Coordinator

• 212 posts

Posted September 10 2004 - 07:59 AM

Hi Rob- I am interested in seeing Sky Captain, and especially Ladder 49 too.
"He who sets to work on a different strand destroys the whole fabric."

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   Eman_Ramos

Eman_Ramos

Stunt Coordinator

• 152 posts

Posted September 10 2004 - 08:35 AM

The last movie I saw in theaters was Kill Bill Vol. 2. There's just been too much going on that I haven't been able to make time to see anything.

That, and a lot of these movie are more of the "Wait-For-The-DVD" variety...

Though I will see Garden State tomorrow. Can't wait!
Eman's Random Thoughts
Eman's 2005 Movie List
Eman's DVD Collection
Charter Member of the HTF San Diego Chargers Fan Club. Hop on the Boltwagon!

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra

Producer

• 3,501 posts

Posted September 10 2004 - 10:36 AM

For me it's the other way around - too many films I want to see but don't have the time to do it: Intimate Strangers, Zatoichi and We Don't Live Here Anymore.

~Edwin
DVD Unwind: Paradise Now (Coming) • King Kong - - • KeaneThe Squid And The WhaleA History Of ViolenceHarry Potter and the Goblet of FireThe Best Of Youth (Italy) • Good Night And Good LuckHowl's Moving CastleWalk The Line - - • ZathuraNorth Country

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   Thi Them

Thi Them

Producer

• 3,650 posts

Posted September 10 2004 - 11:58 AM

Some well-reviewed movies opened today around here: Red Lights, Bright Young Things, and End of the Century: Story of the Ramones. Next week, Infernal Affairs opens.

If you go to the movies every other week, I think there should be plenty to see.

~T

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted September 10 2004 - 06:40 PM

I actually enjoy a lot of the movies that come out this time of year. A lot of it is that, unlike the summer and holidays, I really haven't followed most of the movies that open after Labor Day and my expectations are usually low so movies often come as a pleasant surprise.

Just this month I'm looking forward to Cellular, Sky Captain, The Forgotten, and Ghost in the Shell 2 (if it comes to my area).

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted September 11 2004 - 02:34 AM

Quote:
If you go to the movies every other week, I think there should be plenty to see.
I have more movies than I can see in a weekend. This weekend I have to choose among Cellular, Criminal and When Will I Be Loved?.

Next weekend it's Sky Captain, Silver City, Head in the Clouds and possibly Wimbledon.

And I still have a few items from Edwin's and Thi's lists above.

And on the 24th, unless they've changed the schedule, we're getting The Forgotten, A Dirty Shame, Shaun of the Dead, The Motorcycle Diaries and The Last Shot.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   Tarkin The Ewok

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor

• 654 posts

Posted September 11 2004 - 05:11 AM

This is the time of year that I turn to DVDs. There are only two movies left this year that I consider must-sees: The Incredibles and Ocean's Twelve. However, there are DVDs coming out every week or so that are on my wish list. Also, there are classics like Lawrence of Arabia that I have yet to see, so I usually won't go to a theatrical release unless I'm pretty confident that I'll enjoy it.