What's new

The Rocket RS 750 Signature Speakers Are Here!!!!... (1 Viewer)

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
Convalescing from recent surgery at home hasn't been all that negative an experience since it has brought me some opportunities to accomplish a few fun-filled tasks that might not have happened otherwise. Take the delivery and unpacking of the recently ordered Onyx/Rocket RS 750 Signature speakers, for instance...
Anyway, this little tirade isn't about their particular sonic signature and what I think of it (that will come later) as much as it is a sharing of my impressions of the pertinent physical attributes, etc., of the product itself, as well as how the 750s wound up becoming what most likely will be an integral part of the "big" HT "reference" system.

Several days ago Craig Chase posted a thread about a shootout between two speaker systems right here in HTF: one was the Rocket RS 550 IIs, and the other the Ascend 340s (please refer to that thread for more information).
Reading Craig's review of those loudspeakers piqued my curiosity to levels of the sort I haven't experienced in a very, very, very long time, so I decided to check the associated manufacturers' Web sites to see what all the hoopla was all about (prior to reading Craig's review I had no knowledge of who the speaker manufacturers were nor seen anything regarding their speaker models; I didn't know they even existed!).
Mind you, I haven't been looking for new speakers lately, particularly since I purchased the Athena small L&R mains and center channel monitors for the "small" HT system as well as a pair of SVS B4-Plus subwoofers quite recently, so once I started thinking that as much as I would like to try those reviewed speakers in my own systems I also thought that I needed more speakers around my environs as much as I need a hole in the head (although I have been toying with the idea of buying a pair of Magnepan IIIAs outfitted with ribbon tweeters from a co-worker when he retires later on this year)!
Even so, Craig's concise technical tests and glowing empirically subjective accolades of both systems' sonic attributes kept tugging at my attention and interest in such a way that I just couldn't resist reconsidering my position against any further loudspeaker purchases, thus ultimately decided to go ahead and buy what I mistakenly took as being a pair of "B" stock 750s.
Now, am not at liberty to divulge what sort of deal I wound up getting from them, but this I will share with 'ya: the AV123 company offered me a deal on a brand new pair of Ebony-clad RS 750 Signature transducers (with bi-wiring facilities) I simply could not refuse!

But to continue...my friendly UPS delivery man dropped two fairly large boxes at my door steps this last Tuesday morning; they contained the 750s.
Even though am not supposed to handle anything that weights over 15 Lbs. because of doctor's orders due to having undergone stomach surgery couple of weeks ago, I nonetheless managed to figure out a way to get the boxes inside the house without physically overstraining myself (unlike the unpacking and moving of the 190+ Lbs. B4-Plus behemoths experience!). Once the two boxes were moved inside the house I immediately proceeded to open each package...

To say that I became extremely pleased with the way Rocket packs and ships their speakers would be an understatement because not only are they double-boxed, but are totally covered with a sox that protects the wood finishes from becoming damaged as well. In addition, each speaker is outfitted with a foam "ring" that is placed over the sox-covered speaker enclosures. Two molded foam pieces were also placed at both end caps; they are used to provide additional protection against structural damage. The darnest things I ever saw, I kid you not...

Once their sox were pulled out I had the chance to lay my eyes on the gorgeous looking, slender RS 750 Signature tower-like enclosures.
The Ebony wood veneer used in my 750 pair was impeccably applied and finished...nay, perfect I would dare say!
The end caps were finished in a very deep, ultra-glossy black piano finish that's as good as I've ever seen applied to audio components regardless of price (two pairs of white gloves were also included to handle the speakers while they're being positioned. Neat!).

The speaker grills are very light and somewhat fragile, but I bet they serve their assigned function quite well (am assuming they have to be in place all the time otherwise I see potential sonic interferences affecting the tweeter's performance since the top end cap has quite a bit of "overhang" on the front of the enclosure just above its assigned location, thus possibly causing frequency response irregularities. I'll try to aurally determine whether that sort of thing is an important issue as more listening sessions are conducted.
Perhaps Craig would like to comment about this design aspect since the 550s seem to share the exact same physical dimensions and construction as the 750s).
The rear of the enclosures is just as beautifully done. The rather large gold-plated banana jacks look very beefy, hefty, and solidly built. Too bad they don't accept double-banana jacks, though...

Each speaker was equipped with a set of four machined solid brass spikes. Four solid brass discs of about 1 1/2" or 1 3/4" in diameter containing a "dimple" in the middle are also included; they are supposed to be used underneath each spike in order to protect finishes such as hardwood floors. Good idea, really, but is too bad they're rather difficult to put in place (why not machine both parts as a single piece instead? It'll would definitely be more user-friendly in my opinion).
However, in lieu of metal spikes rubber "bumps" can be substituted if one wish to do so; they are also included with the speakers.

The front of the enclosures, which contain the bass/midrange and HF drivers, is also beautifully done. Being dimensionally narrow bespeaks of potential wide dispersion characteristics (which may also be aided by the extra deep, oval-like shape of the enclosures), something that seems to becomes apparent while listening to them in action. But more on that later.
Sans speaker grills the front of the 750's are quite an eye full as the 5" white aluminum drivers demands one's full attention!

Stay tuned; the RS 750 Signature transducers saga will continue...

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

Richard_M

Second Unit
Well done Frank...

Very well written and presented, look forward to the next installment.

Oh BTW congratulations on getting the new speakers.

Nhan_H

Second Unit
Nice write-up, Frank. I always thought the speaker grills were rather thick and heavy. I'm comparing this to my former PSB 6Ts and a pair of Polk LSi 15s I was playing with over the weekend, as well as other speakers I've checked out in the past at the good ol' brick & mortar stores.

Rob Kramer

Second Unit
Frank

Please dont tell me your going to be driving those puppies with some mid-line Yamaha or something. Is EMO on the way for support?

:D

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"Very well written and presented, look forward to the next installment.

Oh BTW congratulations on getting the new speakers."

Thanks for the kind words, Richard!...

-THTS

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"Nice Frank. You get better now!"

Thanks, Chu!... :)

-THTS

JackRI

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Richard
I always enjoy reading what you have to say, Frank. And, I'll be looking forward to your impressions of the sonic qualities of the 750 sigs. I know this is not your first experience with an internet direct company. It seems to me you own one or two subwoofers obtained from an internet company. :laugh: But, if this is your first experience with av123, I suspect it will NOT be your last.

Now stop moving heavy stuff around and do what the doctor says! :D

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"I always thought the speaker grills were rather thick and heavy. I'm comparing this to my former PSB 6Ts and a pair of Polk LSi 15s I was playing with over the weekend, as well as other speakers I've checked out in the past at the good ol' brick & mortar stores."

Nahn,

I have also been under the impression that speaker grills are a necessary "evil" for the most part, but there seems to be occasional exceptions to that rule here and there.

The main L&R speakers in the "big" reference HT system (full range prototype 4-ways) never had speaker grills so have done a lot of listening without them. But part of the HT experience is not to have anything that detracts from the moving images before our eyes, thus decided to cover them with really sheer, acoustically transparent black speaker grill material that's sort of draped over the enclosures. Since I can't see the speakers now the sound seems to emanate from midair.
Haven't noticed deleterious sonic changes, but then I never took measurements to see if they took place.
I started listening to speakers sans grills since the Rogers LS3-5A mini-monitors made their way into my audiophile life way back in the 70s.

Oh, well...it would be awfully interesting to see what Craig has to say about this matter...one way or another...

-THTS

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Great write up so far. Would love to hear more about them when you get them up and running. I love mine but don't really listen to alot of music. I have a 750 sig HT with the 200, 300's and an SVS PB2+ and it is killer. WOuld like to know what your plans on for driving this and are you eventually going to get more speakers to do HT or not?
Thanks
Mike

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Hi Frank. Nice post. I would have figured you were plenty busy with your new amps -dual 4's? They just cant keep you down can they? Bet your going against the doc's advice moving all those speakers around.:angry: ;)

I once tried the bigfoot center out and was very impressed with packing as you mention. That sox was just what I envisioned. I have to say that was the nicest looking, built center imo I have tried out. I run the Klipsch C-7 now. I wish I would of had more power to give it a more fair listen but none the same, I sure liked the built and the way they handled costumer service.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"Would love to hear more about them when you get them up and running. I love mine but don't really listen to a lot of music. I have a 750 sig HT with the 200, 300's and an SVS PB2+ and it is killer. WOuld like to know what your plans on for driving this and are you eventually going to get more speakers to do HT or not?"

Mike,

Thanks for the kind words.

Now, the main trust in my buying the 750s was to replace the main L&R speakers in the "big" HT system; they are playing in the "small" HT system temporarily...at least until I get the other system's sound going again, and after performing cleaning, painting, etc., in that venue.

As far as getting more Rocket speakers is concerned...am now lusting after their larger center channel model with which to replace my current CC speakers: a pair of home built original D'Appolito monitors (as per The Speaker Builder project from the 80s), but that will have to wait a while; am a bit short of cash now. :b
Then too, their surround sound speakers seem to be what the doctor recommends, so who knows...I might go for an all Rocket set up (but for my intended multi-channel system, one that will include a "ceiling" channel pair--literally--the cost is apt to escalate quite a bit being that I would also like to get not only their THX surrounds but a rear center surround pair as well (am already running the main HT system with three pairs of two-way surround sound speakers). It would great to get all speakers timber-matched, though.

As far as amplification is concerned...no receivers are ever used in the main HT system; only separate components.
I have a sundry of good amps with which to drive the 750s with...including a home brewed Professor Marshall Leach's "Low TIM" amp I built from scratch (back in the days when my "motivator" worked correctly! :D ) from construction plans given in couple of issues of the now defunct AUDIO magazine; it sounds as good as anything I have ever heard when it comes to electronic amplification...

-THTS

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"I would have figured you were plenty busy with your new amps -dual 4's? They just cant keep you down can they? Bet your going against the doc's advice moving all those speakers around."

So it seems, pal! :D

"I once tried the bigfoot center out and was very impressed with packing as you mention. That sox was just what I envisioned. I have to say that was the nicest looking, built center imo I have tried out. I run the Klipsch C-7 now. I wish I would of had more power to give it a more fair listen but none the same, I sure liked the built and the way they handled costumer service."

That might be the model am lusting after now, Steve. Too bad am sort of broke right now otherwise I order me one..."sight unseen...sound unheard"... :wink:

-THTS

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
That might be the model am lusting after now, Steve. Too bad am sort of broke right now otherwise I order me one..."sight unseen...sound unheard"...
__________________________________________________ _____

Well Frank, considering all the $$ you have spent lately.> I'm going to post a Thread on your behalf to the members of the Forum begging for $$. By GOD you deserve one free speaker/bigfoot anyway after spending the better part of a $20,000 wad this past year;)

Nhan_H

Second Unit

Cool....but I was referring to the build quality of the grills. They were surprisingly of much better quality than the ones I've seen before. Maybe my ears are not as critical as others, but I could find no difference with or without the grills. I just change them for a different look from time to time :)

FoT

Auditioning
frank,

if you make it to the sat. listening session, you'll have a chance to experience bigfoot! :)

hope to see you!

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"Frank

Please dont tell me your going to be driving those puppies with some mid-line Yamaha or something."

Not mid-line Yamaha or otherwise; the 750s are being powered by a Pioneer SVX-49TX receiver, one that I consider to be as good as it gets when it comes to these type of audio components. I know they'll sound even better with more powerful amplification, but the big Pioneer unit will do for the time being...

-THTS

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"I always enjoy reading what you have to say, Frank. And, I'll be looking forward to your impressions of the sonic qualities of the 750 sigs. I know this is not your first experience with an internet direct company. It seems to me you own one or two subwoofers obtained from an internet company. But, if this is your first experience with av123, I suspect it will NOT be your last."

Thank you for the kind and encouraging words, my friend!

It'll be a while before I post my subjective aural impressions/opinions of the gorgeous looking 750s (man, I can't shake off the feeling of just how beautiful they are, at least to me. And am not that easily impressed 'cus I am quite jaded after looking at very handsome audio components [turn tables used do it for me] for many, many years, but I sure have grown very fond of them!), so please bear with me.

And you're right...it won't be the last time I deal with AV123... :)

"Now stop moving heavy stuff around and do what the doctor says!"

Yes, Sir, will do! :) :D

-THTS

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"Well Frank, considering all the $$ you have spent lately.> I'm going to post a Thread on your behalf to the members of the Forum begging for $$. By GOD you deserve one free speaker/bigfoot anyway after spending the better part of a $20,000 wad this past year..."

Steve,

Thanks, pal! I sure love to have a "big foot" to go along with the 750s and B4+s. :D :D
Oh, wait...I better get a new car first 'cus my 'ol T-Bird has seen better days. :frowning: Need a new automobile so I can go back to work and earn more money to continue getting my audio/HT "fix," you know!... ;)

-THTS

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"Cool....but I was referring to the build quality of the grills. They were surprisingly of much better quality than the ones I've seen before. Maybe my ears are not as critical as others, but I could find no difference with or without the grills. I just change them for a different look from time to time..."

Oh, no doubt. I too agree that the 750's speaker grills are of high quality construction...

-THTS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks