-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Puppy shoots man

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

#1 of 48 ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted September 09 2004 - 12:53 AM

http://www.cnn.com/2.....ap/index.html

#2 of 48 Nathan*W

Nathan*W

Screenwriter

• 1,069 posts

Posted September 09 2004 - 01:15 AM

Saw this on another site. Charlton Heston needs to adopt that dog!

#3 of 48 Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter

• 1,220 posts

Posted September 09 2004 - 02:24 AM

Someone needs to inform that man about animal shelters.

#4 of 48 MickeS

MickeS

Producer

• 5,065 posts

Posted September 09 2004 - 02:53 AM

Or tell him to take the consequences of letting his dog breed, and take care of the puppies until he finds them a home...

Go puppy. Posted Image

/Mike
/Mike

#5 of 48 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,523 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted September 09 2004 - 03:54 AM

Too bad the puppy didn't shoot the guy in the crotch so HE can't breed.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#6 of 48 Nathan*W

Nathan*W

Screenwriter

• 1,069 posts

Posted September 09 2004 - 03:59 AM

Posted Image
Puppy...POWER!!!

#7 of 48 Grant B

Grant B

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted September 09 2004 - 05:14 AM

They should have dumped the asshole in the shallow grave and put him out of his misery
"Whatever it is, I'm against it!" G. Marx

Sony TAE/TAP/TAN(2)9000ES;DVP-CX860 DVP-CX777ES
Sony CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355 CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355
Sony S-TS 700ES XPR32450Pioneer Elite CLD 79 KEFs (5) Q75s & 20B Subwoofer

#8 of 48 Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor

• 992 posts

Posted September 09 2004 - 06:10 AM

I read the story this morning...

I will never understand people like that. Never.

Go Puppy!

Moe.
- Confidence implies the knowledge of one's limitations, while arrogance implies that one does not have any.

- There's no such thing as "normal". The secret is to find someone that's screwed up in a way that seems "normal" to you.

#9 of 48 Eric_L

Eric_L

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted September 10 2004 - 04:43 AM

Better to shoot the pups than to abandon them somewhere, though animal shelter would have been a better choice-there are far worse choices.

#10 of 48 Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit

• 322 posts

Posted September 10 2004 - 04:46 AM

Okay, I'm all for animals. I'm all for people not abusing animals. I have owned animals and taken great care of them. What that guy was doing was WRONG. 100% wrong, immoral, unethical, etc...

But do you guys realized what you're saying? Go puppy? A HUMAN BEING was shot. Somebody's son. He could have died. And you are chearing THAT?

No wonder our kids are growing up with no respect for firearms and the sanctity of life. Our priorities should be people. I don't see a single person saying "well, I hope this attention that he's getting makes him and others realize the error of his ways and that they all treat animals better from now on."

I, for one, am glad the man didn't die. That would have been a shame, but his own fault, all the same, for using a firearm incorrectly.

/rant

#11 of 48 Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted September 10 2004 - 05:12 AM

Quote:
But do you guys realized what you're saying? Go puppy? A HUMAN BEING was shot. Somebody's son. He could have died. And you are chearing THAT?
I don't get it either. But then again, I never got the whole pet thing.

--
H

#12 of 48 Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted September 10 2004 - 08:58 AM

Oh come on Adam, I don't think they really hoped the man was killed, it's just that the irony of the whole thing is practically unbearable! For me at least.Posted Image
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#13 of 48 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted September 10 2004 - 09:11 AM

Quote:
If you decide to take a life, don't be surprised if people cheer when your life is taken (or almost taken).

i.e. It wasn't his right to decide that any puppy's life should end.

#14 of 48 Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor

• 992 posts

Posted September 10 2004 - 09:33 AM

Quote:

I'm not cheering the fact that he could have died... I'm cheering the fact that he got a taste of the meal he was about to serve to several innocent dogs (Besides... being shot in the wrist is hardly fatal). The irony around the entire situation is pretty damn thick - big tough guy with a gun is outwitted by little puppy on deathrow.

The options available to the guy far exceeded the options he afforded to the pups. He could have brought them to a shelter... but instead chose to shoot them.

Fact is that he was holding the gun. He loaded it with the bullets. He took the safety off. He decided to handle dogs & a firearm at the same time. That an non-fatal accident occured & spared the innocent pups their lives is karma.

Having owned & shot several firearms, one of the first things you learn is never to remove the safety until you're ready to use the gun. High up on that list of rules is to never point a loaded gun (safety or no safety) in the direction of another human being. Buddy broke both those rules, and subsequently paid for it.

Quote:
No wonder our kids are growing up with no respect for firearms and the sanctity of life.

You're joking, right?

This guy was handling A GUN in an irresponsible (and illegal) fashion and got shot in the process. He & others will learn a valuable lesson for this!

The NRA should use this boob as a poster child for firearm safety!!! Our kids should read about this guy so they can learn about the dangers of firearms! If anything, it'll teach them to respect firearms and the sanctity of life!

Quote:
I don't see a single person saying "well, I hope this attention that he's getting makes him and others realize the error of his ways and that they all treat animals better from now on."

Let me be the first then... I hope this dumbass serves as an example to others, and teaches them about respecting aniamls, as well as the PROPER use of firearms.

Moe.
- Confidence implies the knowledge of one's limitations, while arrogance implies that one does not have any.

- There's no such thing as "normal". The secret is to find someone that's screwed up in a way that seems "normal" to you.

#15 of 48 Julian Reville

Julian Reville

Screenwriter

• 1,197 posts

Posted September 10 2004 - 09:50 AM

Go Moe! (and puppy!)

#16 of 48 Geraldine/F/M

Geraldine/F/M

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted September 10 2004 - 03:04 PM

People like this guy make me so glad to be a Floridian! What a jerk. Unfortunately, people like this are all too common. They can't be responsible enough to spay/neuter their pets. They "just can't" find anyone to take them and, oh no, they couldn't take them to the animal shelter. So that leaves killing them or dropping them off to fend for themselves.

Quote:
our priorities should be people

Yes, Adam, people should be a priority. However, when we choose to have a pet, we should take responsibility for it.

Geri

#17 of 48 Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,668 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted September 10 2004 - 03:26 PM

The story said the gun was a .38 cal. revolver. Revolvers don't have a "safety", since you need to cock them before each round. In the most likely case, this was a "double-action" revolver, which has a strong trigger pull that cocks the gun as part of firing it. The puppy probably couldn't apply enough force to do this. The guy probably had manually-cocked the gun, which would permit a much lighter trigger pull to fire the gun.
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#18 of 48 Luis S

Luis S

Supporting Actor

• 638 posts

Posted September 10 2004 - 03:39 PM

No, a total scumbag was shot. Would be fine by me if he wound up six feet under. You decide you cant take care of the pups so you shoot them? WTF is that?!? There are tons of different humane ways to give up the pups. His irresponsibility and cold blooded disregard for an animals life ( 3 I believe) resulted in poetic justice IMHO.

A shot to the wrist is nothing. I would have beat that asshole senseless. Pups are easy to give away. There is no reason to execute them. Sounds like he probably was just getting off shooting live targets.I laughed my ass off when I heard it on the news.Sweet justice I tell you. People like this guy make me sick, he got what he deserved. GO PUPPY! GO!

And yes Im a proud animal lover. I think Ive known more great animals than great people.Posted Image

Later,

Luis S
Neo: "Its been an honor sir."

Morpheus: " No,the honor is still mine."

#19 of 48 Walt N

Walt N

Second Unit

• 417 posts

Posted September 10 2004 - 03:48 PM

Wouldn't have bothered me.

#20 of 48 Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Producer

• 3,759 posts

Posted September 10 2004 - 04:25 PM

This was somebody's son, and probably also somebody's husband and somebody's father. Yes, one should hold human life more highly than animal life, no matter how much we love our pets. If a child and a pet are drowning and you can only save one, the child should win out.

But hasn't it been proven that people who abuse animals are also very likely to abuse their wives, children, etc?

The kind of person who self justifies shooting unwanted puppies when there are so many other alternatives is suspect in my opinion. He claimed he couldn't find homes for them and thought this was mercy killing, I don't buy it. I think he was either too lazy to haul them off to the shelter or more likely just plain sadistic enough to get some kind of thrill out of shooting the dogs.

In either case, but especially the latter, just how likely is he to show this same sadistic streak in his dealings with his wife or kids?

So aside from our sympathy for these pups, the guy's probably also abusive to humans--another reason why I think he got what he deserved.

btw, I don't own a gun, but if I did I would not hesitate to shoot anyone who tried to hurt one of my animals. I would defend them the same way most folks would defend their children.
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow