What's new

Underworld 2 (1 Viewer)

Kachi Khatri

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
Underworld 2 Gears Up

Tom Rosenberg, producer of the upcoming sequel to 2003's vampire-werewolf movie Underworld, told SCI FI Wire that the follow-up will pick up where the original movie left off. "I think the real intense followers of the whole saga will really love the second one," Rosenberg said in an interview. "It's very intricate. It gives Selene's [Kate Beckinsale] history, Viktor's [Bill Nighy] history, and then of course now Marcus is going to come out of the crypt. So it's really cool. I'm excited about it."

Rosenberg added that the sequel, which doesn't yet have a firm title, is set to begin shooting in November. "We may call it something else," Rosenberg said. "We'll probably call it something with Underworld, but right now it's Underworld 2."

Rosenberg added that Underworld director Len Wiseman wants to be careful not to obscure what made the first film appealing. "It's much bigger action, but we have to keep the coolness of it and not let the action overwhelm it," Rosenberg said. "I like the whole world that's created, and you have to stay within that world. I don't want to jam mindless nonstop action at the audience; this is going to still be story-driven. But we're going to have cool sequences and some bigger action. This story is better, more intricate and more interesting. That's what I really like about it." Underworld 2 is due to be released in 2005.

-----

I'm one of those few who enjoyed the first sporadically and will check this sequal out. The back-storyline does capture my interest.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Which, aside from Kate Beckinsale in tight leather, was what, exactly?

Not meant as a thread-fart; I'm just sort of puzzled by there being a sequel (and a Special Edition DVD, and numerous comic book tie-ins). It did modest box-office and I haven't talked to many people with a lot of enthusiasm for the movie.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I loved the first one, plus it had one of the best posters of 2003 :D, so I'm definitely looking forward to the 2nd one. Great news indeed.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Well, gross for the film was over double the budget, so it did well for itself, if not gangbusters.

I also thought the plot was moderatly interesting. Execution is another story, since some of the acting was very questionable.

While I'm not waiting with baited breath for a sequel, I'll probably will take a pass at it...

Jason

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Vampires battling Werewolves in a White Wolf-esque "World of Darkness" (Did they ever settle that lawsuit?)... what's not to love? :)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I enjoyed the first one on DVD and I will a sequel. Not one that I'll see in the theater though. A blind buy I'm sure.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
I was very surprised to find the budget for the first movie was only $22 million- it certainly looked like more to me.

Count me in as one who was pleasantly surprised by the first movie. I'll definitely be there for the second film if the same crew is behind it.

Cassy_w

Second Unit
Loved it. Loved the almost zero use of CGI. Most of the werewolf shots were men in suits and the transformations were morphs of various stages of makeup. That added to the realism.

if the script for 2 is as engaging as the script for 1, then it will be a worthy sequel. :emoji_thumbsup:

Mike Brogan

Second Unit
I hope they bring back Kraven with his shiny disco shirts of doom. That performance totally turned a really bad movie into a so bad/it's funny movie. Especially when you watch it amongst friends it can really be entertaining. Any predictions on a title? How about "Underworld 2: Reloaded Trinity"? And it sounds like they've listened to what the "real intense followers" of the first one wanted...an "intricate romance" between Kate and Creed/Nightcrawler guy.

Honestly, I wanted to like the first one and thought the premise sounded cool but it just turned out very badly. It took me three sittings to even finish it.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I guess I'm also in the minority because I really liked this movie. The only thing that left a bad taste in my mouth was the performance of the Kraven character.
Totally looking forward to the sequel.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I guess what was disappointing about the movie was that it had great potential. The movie was similar in style as Blade, but Blade had more cool factor and less 'groan' factor. It's been a while since I've seen the movie (I should catch it on HBO-HD again soon), but scenes like where she spun around shooting into the floor as an example of potential coolness that wasn't executed well, and left me thinking "what did she gain by doing that?".

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

Me too.

But contrary to your suggestion Mike, I don't think the guys infatuation with Kate should turn into a romance. As she said in the extras on the first film, there's not a romance there, they're just noticing each other. Not a chance it will turn into a good relationship, IMO.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
shiny disco shirts of doom?!

I loved UNDERWORLD. I was blown away when I saw it in the theaters last year. I do own both versions on DVD.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

I don't know about minority- go back and read the DVD impressions thread in the software forum. It seemed like most people seemed pleasantly surprised.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Kind of a biased sample, though, as it doesn't include those of us that came out of the theater fairly unimpressed (to put it mildly).

I guess this is more popular than I thought, but it's certainly gotten popular quietly (though I still can't fathom why).

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
I am somewhat looking forward to the sequel. My only real problem with the first was that during some of the action sequences you could tell, or at least it seemed like the actors had no experince doing an action flick. For example, the last action sequence with the old guy (dont remember his name) seemed like an tired old man fighting. His movements seemed slow and very unnatural. Even the lead actress suffered from this at times. I know some films have the actors go through extensive training but if they did for this I couldnt tell. Hopefully the second movie will be better in this regard.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
I liked the first movie a lot, but it was no Blade or Blade II for that matter. The sequel looks like it could be really promising, so we will just have to wait.

Ryan

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

But it does include those who rented it or bought it blind and were unimpressed (and there were several of those impressions too) so I'm not sure I get the point.

I'm not saying Underworld is a classic, a cult classic, or anything close. I will say that the general reaction on several internet forums I've been to has been pleasantly surprised particuarly after the scathing reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks