What's new

Tech question : AVS forum couldn't help (1 Viewer)

Tom Blizzard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Blizzard
I did a search and found little or nothing about this issue.

I'd appreciate some help. For several years now, my Malata DVD player has been an excellent player. Especially because of the xy scaling ability. Also, the infinite zoom is great. I really don't think the brand has anything to do with it, however, I'm having a strange picture problem. I've seen this same thing once in a while on my local cable reception

It's hard to describe, but it looks like a shimmering digital grain that appears inside a field of color. sometimes it will make an uneven circular pattern and sometimes it will follow the outline of an object. When it seems to follow the outline of an object or face, it is about one inch in from the edge.

It's not EE but I'd describe it as a kind of shimmering inside a field of color. It seems to have a definite edge which is the most noticeable part and it varies in intensity (very, very slight shimmer) over the enclosed area. It only seems to appear when there is a close-up of something, but it can appear if there is a large solid color background on the background itself.

This grain or shimmering patter will change if I adjust the color or contrast on my monitor. It won't go away, but the "edge" seems to move around. I tried setting the DVD player to interlaced and using my DVDO v2 processor and that seems to help a little, but I can still see it.

My Panasonic XP-30 does not show this problem at all.

I probably need to retire the player but does anyone know if this has a name??

Regards, Tom B.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Certain discs simply have this problem with artifacting, and it is most common in large bright colored areas. It could also be the MPEG decoder, but then it would happen more often. It could also be CUE or ICP or both.

You will find a wealth of info on these types of problems on www.hometheaterhifi.com

Tom Blizzard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Blizzard
John and Wayne I thank you both, :emoji_thumbsup:
I do appreciate your opinions and answers to my question.
Regards, Tom B.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
It also sounds sort of like a MPEG-type encoding 'issue,' that for whatever reason, some players are masking; others aren't. JPEGs often have that sort of 'look' when you crank the compression too high.

Leo KErr

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks