What's new

Clerks X-MIA in Canada? (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone seen this disc in Canada yet? I checked for it today in a couple places, and no luck. Future shop doesn't list it on their website, nor does Entertainment Warehouse. Is this another case of Alliance needing to "Alliance-ize" the content?

Jeremy Brupaste

Stunt Coordinator
Re: is this another case of Alliance "Alliance-ing" the casing of the dvd?

Let me consult my Magic 8-Ball:

"It is certain".

They're such a bunch of douchebags at that company. Even if there's no need to repackage the disc (i.e. no French track), they STILL need a few extra weeks to slap their damn logo all over the place. Witness "Red Heat", which came out today in the States. It comes out in Canada on the 21st! That's three weeks - for what? Extra time to re-name it "Chaud Rouge"?

Luckily my copies of both are on their way from the States. :emoji_thumbsup:

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
While going through the very full (and confusing for Canada) schedule of what's being released until the end of the year, I noticed that lots of discs are being released in Canada 2 weeks or even a month after their U.S. release. I only paid attention to this for discs I was interested in, but I didn't pay particular attention to what studios they were from...I do know it's not just for AA releases though. I normally schedule my pre-ordering by U.S. release dates, and let me tell you it's *real* screwed up for this fall.

I think Clerks X is avaiable in Canada on Sept. 21.

I also ordered many U.S. versions of discs lately, as they're usually only a buck +/- from the Canadian versions, and at least you have some advance clue of what you're getting. It's especially been too much of a crap shoot re what AA is going to give us lately.

Eric_B_C

Stunt Coordinator
Those bastards! It's a real hassle for me to get anywhere I can get DVD's, and I have deliberately scheduled appointments for tomorrow so I could get to HMV and get this... Utter bastards.

ChristianB

Stunt Coordinator
My supplier still lists September 7 as the release date.

You know Alliance will ADD a French track so a delay is inevitable.

Christian

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
May I suggest that amazon.ca is a very good place for all pre-orders of U.S. releases? They have recognised this market niche and serve it well, and for those who like R2 stuff too (i.e. Shaun of the Dead DVD, not even in theaters here yet), they are tightly connected with amazon.co.uk of course (your same account).

If you plan and *order in advance* you can often get the U.S. releases cheaper than the Canadian ones, and in many cases for the rest of this year, maybe even up to a month sooner. If you snooze, you lose though:

amazon.ca does not carry U.S. releases for very long after release date, so you must act quickly, and early to get the best price. Also, they are usually much cheaper than you can import from any U.S. (r)etailer, all costs considered. Don't forget the ridiculous exchange rates the CC companies charge when buying in the U.S., amazon.ca is much closer to the "real" exchange rate.

And fast for pre-orders, I get mine within 1 day of release day, but I live an hour from their warehouse.

As for Clerks X release date, I think most online Can. retailers use the U.S. release dates, like I *used* to do up until just this week...this is part of the confusing thing when I was pre-ordering for the rest of Sept. and Oct. I notice DVDSoon and amazon.ca list the proper release date.

Jeremy Brupaste

Stunt Coordinator
I use amazon.ca for a lot of import purchases...but lately they've been going a little screwy. "Kill Bill Volume 2", for example, was 'out of stock' and unavailable to order as soon as it went up on the site. I emailed and asked, uh, how can it be out of stock if it hasn't come out yet? Their response was basically, it's out of stock, dummy, so shut up.

And two weeks ago, an import item I had ordered suddenly vanished from my order, then re-appeared as the (shudder) Alliance Atlantis version. Again, another email to them wasn't particularly helpful, and their reason why this happened didn't make a lot of sense.

AND ANOTHER TIME, I had Copland and Trainspotting (imports) on order for like two months before they emailed me and said that Trainspotting had been cancelled, (which it wasn't) and that I wouldn't be getting it.

Anyway, they're still the best at the import game, even with these little screw-ups...

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Well, I can't say I've had many screw-ups that were really their fault, so far, though I once had a crushed snapper from too much being packed in too small a cardboard shipping thing. And they are very good about returns, say for shipping or manufacturing problems, and their prepaid return label is handy...much easier to return to Mississauga than cross-border. And their customer service people respond to e-mails VERY quickly, typically within hours.

Luck of the draw I guess, but I haven't had any orders changed or items cancelled by them. But if there *is* a problem, which is bound to happen if you order enough, at least they seem to handle it decently and without a lot of hassle.

Eric_B_C

Stunt Coordinator
I once wound up with an entire $90 shipment from Amazon.ca for free. They screwed up, repeatedly charged my credit card until they'd filled it up, then the payment was denied, they told me they couldn't ship... Anyway, long story short, I wound up getting all the money back, but they still sent the shipment. HAHA!

No sign of anything other than the expected for Clerks X. No import edition. Edited to add: Actually, it's there, but ships in 1-2 weeks, which would place it around the arrival of the ruined Alliance version.

I'm HOPING this is a mixup of some sort, since on several occasions before I've seen Amazon say something doesn't come out until about three weeks later, but have found it in my local HMV (the recent WWE Chris Benoit DVD for example). Will be heading there tomorrow (want Punisher anyway)... If this IS a case of Alliance screwed Canadian's, then I'm done buying Canadian releases and will import in future.

Just worked it out. Amazon.ca has no price listed, but Chapters, which usually matches, has the Star Wars boxed set for $60. Amazon.com price works out at $54 with the current exchange rate.

Jeremy Brupaste

Stunt Coordinator
Careful Eric, the Alliance Punisher disc (in addition to a crap bilingual cover) does NOT contain the comic book prequel inside. I wouldn't give them one red cent of my money, so tread carefully!

Eric_B_C

Stunt Coordinator
Discovered that too late about Punisher. (Just bitched in another thread.) I'll say it again here. That insert is a joke. Expected something of worth on the inside... And all I got was the bloody chapter listing in French.

As I just said on the other thread, I'm done with Alliance Atlantis. Will import from Amazon now on. What with the awful packaging of Punisher, and this Clerks debacle (guys at HMV didn't even know it had been delayed) I'm done giving these bastards my money.

Guess I should be grateful Punisher made it out on it's release date.

Johnny Jr.

Stunt Coordinator
So I am all hyped out about today being a major release day and not only is Clerks X delayed in canada but, they delayed Ginger snaps III as well.....At least They didn't delay dawn of the dead! :emoji_thumbsup:

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
I don't like this either. I really don't like what they're doing to all of their releases. The only positive thing they've done recently with these DVDs is give us good cover art to the Jersey Girl DVD compared to the horrible US version.

And I'm still really mad about that MIA Punisher comic...

Eric_B_C

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Jeremy! I took the oppootunity to bitch about multiple things that are annoying me.

Remember some legal advice I received once. "Never go for the jugular in the first paragraph."

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I was in Rogers Video the other day, and they had accidentally put out Clerks X on the shelves. Unfortunately, they removed it before I had a chance to snag a copy.

ChristianB

Stunt Coordinator

Well, Seville is releasing Ginger Snaps: The Beginning and Anchor Bay has Dawn Of The Dead (Ultimate Edition). No Alliance Atlantis here :)

Nice letter Eric. Good luck with it! :emoji_thumbsup:

Jeremy Brupaste

Stunt Coordinator
Yes Eric, nice one! Please let us all know what kind of response you get from those creeps at Alliance. I'm hoping for the best, but prepared to get another 'see no evil, hear no evil' kind of form letter. (All of the emails I've sent them have been either rudely worded or dismissed my concerns outright.)

The only thing I'm concerned about happening is Alliance flexing their right to allow only their versions in Canada - and cut off the availability of American imports from Amazon.ca.

I mean, they're exactly the kind of company who'd do that, instead of, say, LISTENING to their customers...

Johnny Jr.

Stunt Coordinator
ChristianB, I was aware they weren't all AA I was just voicing my displeasure about the canadian releases in general :P

Eric you inspired me to write a letter. I hope everyone takes a little time and writes one as well. Hopefully we won't have to go through the same problems when the limited lotr: ROTK comes out on the 14 of Decemeber.

Eric_B_C

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the kind words on the letter. I'm a freelance writer, so I spend far too much time thinking of how to word stuff. I've been polite, if perhaps a little firm. I'll post anymore stuff in the recently started Alliance Atlantis thread.

If they send me something I disagree with or don't believe, or worse still, something rude, I'll call them on it until I get a decent response or they blacklist my email address. Then I'll start writing from another email address and continue.

As for them stopping Amazon, I wouldn't put it past them. However, not the end of the world. How much are your principles worth? I'm happy to pay out an extra $10 or so to order direct from Amazon.com purely to keep my money out of their pockets. (Clerks X currently works out $2 less than amazon.ca, but you have to figure in shipping etc...)

I've already decided I'm going to order the US release of ROTK. I don't want to have to spend 20 minutes removing that stupid glued on flyer that's simply loose in the US packaging. Plus that bi-lingual crap on the insert... Hideous.

I can't believe how angry this whole situation has made me to be honest, but I'm all for consumer rights, and Alliance Atlantis treat the consumer like crap, and for that, they must pay.

Stephen: They actually HAD the US version? If that is the case, then this whole situation is even more despicable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks