Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Clerks X-MIA in Canada?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
64 replies to this topic

#1 of 65 OFFLINE   Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon

Screenwriter

• 2,071 posts

Posted September 07 2004 - 10:08 AM

Has anyone seen this disc in Canada yet? I checked for it today in a couple places, and no luck. Future shop doesn't list it on their website, nor does Entertainment Warehouse. Is this another case of Alliance needing to "Alliance-ize" the content?
XBox Live Gamertag:ChrisBardon

#2 of 65 OFFLINE   Jeremy Brupaste

Jeremy Brupaste

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted September 07 2004 - 10:21 AM

Re: is this another case of Alliance "Alliance-ing" the casing of the dvd?

Let me consult my Magic 8-Ball:

"It is certain".

They're such a bunch of douchebags at that company. Even if there's no need to repackage the disc (i.e. no French track), they STILL need a few extra weeks to slap their damn logo all over the place. Witness "Red Heat", which came out today in the States. It comes out in Canada on the 21st! That's three weeks - for what? Extra time to re-name it "Chaud Rouge"?

Luckily my copies of both are on their way from the States. Posted Image

#3 of 65 OFFLINE   CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,367 posts
  • LocationToronto area, Canada

Posted September 07 2004 - 10:39 AM

While going through the very full (and confusing for Canada) schedule of what's being released until the end of the year, I noticed that lots of discs are being released in Canada 2 weeks or even a month after their U.S. release. I only paid attention to this for discs I was interested in, but I didn't pay particular attention to what studios they were from...I do know it's not just for AA releases though. I normally schedule my pre-ordering by U.S. release dates, and let me tell you it's *real* screwed up for this fall.

I think Clerks X is avaiable in Canada on Sept. 21.

I also ordered many U.S. versions of discs lately, as they're usually only a buck +/- from the Canadian versions, and at least you have some advance clue of what you're getting. It's especially been too much of a crap shoot re what AA is going to give us lately.

#4 of 65 OFFLINE   Eric_B_C

Eric_B_C

Stunt Coordinator

• 177 posts

Posted September 07 2004 - 11:31 AM

Those bastards! It's a real hassle for me to get anywhere I can get DVD's, and I have deliberately scheduled appointments for tomorrow so I could get to HMV and get this... Utter bastards.

#5 of 65 OFFLINE   ChristianB

ChristianB

Stunt Coordinator

• 241 posts

Posted September 07 2004 - 11:38 AM

My supplier still lists September 7 as the release date.

You know Alliance will ADD a French track so a delay is inevitable.

Christian

#6 of 65 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted September 07 2004 - 01:38 PM

I was in Niagara Falls, NY today doing a little cross-border shopping.Posted Image Picked up my copy of Clerks X. On the case is a $5 coupon that you can use when you buy it as well as either 'Jersey Girl', 'Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back' or one other title( I believe that it's the Clerks Animated disc.) I chose J&SBSB as there is another $5 coupon deal between 'The Ladykillers' and 'Jersey Girl' that I took advantage of as well.

I'm pretty happy all-around.Posted Image

Of course, you don't have to go to that length to get Clerks X....they've got the Miramax version on sale at Amazon.caPosted Image
Recently watched- Home Alone 2: Lost In New York, Home Alone, An American Christmas Carol, It's A Spongebob Christmas!, Four Christmases, Love & Other Drugs, Assault On Precinct 13(1976), Lovejoy Christmas Specials, Die Hard 2: Die Harder, Die Hard, Up 3D, The Grandmaster, Edge Of Tomorrow 3D, The Comedy Of Terrors, The Raven(1963), Mulholland Falls

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 1

"Keep the change your filthy animal!"

#7 of 65 OFFLINE   CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,367 posts

Posted September 07 2004 - 02:11 PM

May I suggest that amazon.ca is a very good place for all pre-orders of U.S. releases? They have recognised this market niche and serve it well, and for those who like R2 stuff too (i.e. Shaun of the Dead DVD, not even in theaters here yet), they are tightly connected with amazon.co.uk of course (your same account).

If you plan and *order in advance* you can often get the U.S. releases cheaper than the Canadian ones, and in many cases for the rest of this year, maybe even up to a month sooner. If you snooze, you lose though:

amazon.ca does not carry U.S. releases for very long after release date, so you must act quickly, and early to get the best price. Also, they are usually much cheaper than you can import from any U.S. ®etailer, all costs considered. Don't forget the ridiculous exchange rates the CC companies charge when buying in the U.S., amazon.ca is much closer to the "real" exchange rate.

And fast for pre-orders, I get mine within 1 day of release day, but I live an hour from their warehouse.

As for Clerks X release date, I think most online Can. retailers use the U.S. release dates, like I *used* to do up until just this week...this is part of the confusing thing when I was pre-ordering for the rest of Sept. and Oct. I notice DVDSoon and amazon.ca list the proper release date.

#8 of 65 OFFLINE   Jeremy Brupaste

Jeremy Brupaste

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted September 07 2004 - 03:09 PM

I use amazon.ca for a lot of import purchases...but lately they've been going a little screwy. "Kill Bill Volume 2", for example, was 'out of stock' and unavailable to order as soon as it went up on the site. I emailed and asked, uh, how can it be out of stock if it hasn't come out yet? Their response was basically, it's out of stock, dummy, so shut up.

And two weeks ago, an import item I had ordered suddenly vanished from my order, then re-appeared as the (shudder) Alliance Atlantis version. Again, another email to them wasn't particularly helpful, and their reason why this happened didn't make a lot of sense.

AND ANOTHER TIME, I had Copland and Trainspotting (imports) on order for like two months before they emailed me and said that Trainspotting had been cancelled, (which it wasn't) and that I wouldn't be getting it.

Anyway, they're still the best at the import game, even with these little screw-ups...

#9 of 65 OFFLINE   CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,367 posts

Posted September 07 2004 - 03:28 PM

Well, I can't say I've had many screw-ups that were really their fault, so far, though I once had a crushed snapper from too much being packed in too small a cardboard shipping thing. And they are very good about returns, say for shipping or manufacturing problems, and their prepaid return label is handy...much easier to return to Mississauga than cross-border. And their customer service people respond to e-mails VERY quickly, typically within hours.

Luck of the draw I guess, but I haven't had any orders changed or items cancelled by them. But if there *is* a problem, which is bound to happen if you order enough, at least they seem to handle it decently and without a lot of hassle.

#10 of 65 OFFLINE   Eric_B_C

Eric_B_C

Stunt Coordinator

• 177 posts

Posted September 07 2004 - 03:39 PM

I once wound up with an entire $90 shipment from Amazon.ca for free. They screwed up, repeatedly charged my credit card until they'd filled it up, then the payment was denied, they told me they couldn't ship... Anyway, long story short, I wound up getting all the money back, but they still sent the shipment. HAHA!

No sign of anything other than the expected for Clerks X. No import edition. Edited to add: Actually, it's there, but ships in 1-2 weeks, which would place it around the arrival of the ruined Alliance version.

I'm HOPING this is a mixup of some sort, since on several occasions before I've seen Amazon say something doesn't come out until about three weeks later, but have found it in my local HMV (the recent WWE Chris Benoit DVD for example). Will be heading there tomorrow (want Punisher anyway)... If this IS a case of Alliance screwed Canadian's, then I'm done buying Canadian releases and will import in future.

Just worked it out. Amazon.ca has no price listed, but Chapters, which usually matches, has the Star Wars boxed set for $60. Amazon.com price works out at $54 with the current exchange rate.

#11 of 65 OFFLINE   Jeremy Brupaste

Jeremy Brupaste

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted September 08 2004 - 01:05 AM

Careful Eric, the Alliance Punisher disc (in addition to a crap bilingual cover) does NOT contain the comic book prequel inside. I wouldn't give them one red cent of my money, so tread carefully!

#12 of 65 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted September 08 2004 - 04:46 AM

Quote:
I had Copland and Trainspotting (imports) on order for like two months

I had the same problem with this particular order as well....it just kept being pushed back. Never did get them as I ended up with going on a camping trip over in the Adirondacks in early August - with a requisite stop at the first available Walmart. Needless to say, the order was cancelled upon my return.

All my other orders have gone through without problems though....I guess it was just one of those rare screwups.
Recently watched- Home Alone 2: Lost In New York, Home Alone, An American Christmas Carol, It's A Spongebob Christmas!, Four Christmases, Love & Other Drugs, Assault On Precinct 13(1976), Lovejoy Christmas Specials, Die Hard 2: Die Harder, Die Hard, Up 3D, The Grandmaster, Edge Of Tomorrow 3D, The Comedy Of Terrors, The Raven(1963), Mulholland Falls

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 1

"Keep the change your filthy animal!"

#13 of 65 OFFLINE   Eric_B_C

Eric_B_C

Stunt Coordinator

• 177 posts

Posted September 08 2004 - 05:32 PM

Discovered that too late about Punisher. (Just bitched in another thread.) I'll say it again here. That insert is a joke. Expected something of worth on the inside... And all I got was the bloody chapter listing in French.

As I just said on the other thread, I'm done with Alliance Atlantis. Will import from Amazon now on. What with the awful packaging of Punisher, and this Clerks debacle (guys at HMV didn't even know it had been delayed) I'm done giving these bastards my money.

Guess I should be grateful Punisher made it out on it's release date.

#14 of 65 OFFLINE   Johnny Jr.

Johnny Jr.

Stunt Coordinator

• 140 posts

Posted September 08 2004 - 10:51 PM

So I am all hyped out about today being a major release day and not only is Clerks X delayed in canada but, they delayed Ginger snaps III as well.....At least They didn't delay dawn of the dead! Posted Image
"When ninehundred years old you reach, look as good, you will not..mmm?"........YODA - RETURN OF THE JEDI

#15 of 65 OFFLINE   Jim Harvey

Jim Harvey

Second Unit

• 315 posts

Posted September 09 2004 - 05:19 AM

I don't like this either. I really don't like what they're doing to all of their releases. The only positive thing they've done recently with these DVDs is give us good cover art to the Jersey Girl DVD compared to the horrible US version.

And I'm still really mad about that MIA Punisher comic...

#16 of 65 OFFLINE   Jeremy Brupaste

Jeremy Brupaste

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted September 09 2004 - 07:54 AM

May I suggest everybody who's bitter about this and The Punisher (and...every other DVD they've ever produced) LET ALLIANCE KNOW ABOUT IT?

HomeVideo@AllianceAtlantis.com

Let 'em have it, people!

#17 of 65 OFFLINE   Eric_B_C

Eric_B_C

Stunt Coordinator

• 177 posts

Posted September 09 2004 - 11:40 AM

Thanks Jeremy! I took the oppootunity to bitch about multiple things that are annoying me.

Remember some legal advice I received once. "Never go for the jugular in the first paragraph."

Quote:
Good day. I am writing to you with some very big concerns over your recent treatment of certain DVD releases, and am hoping you can give me a satisfactory explanation. I've been horrified by what you've done in the past, notably you're horrendous job with the Canadian release of the extended "Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" in comparison to the far superior US packaging. However, recent issues have made me extremely angry with Alliance Atlantis' treatment of Canadian DVD buyers.

The Punisher, Kill Bill:

I would like to know why you feel the need to print French and English on the packaging, when you've made the packaging double-sided anyway? All you've succeeded in doing is making the packaging look horrendous on all three of the disks I've mentioned here. In the case of "Kill Bill" you haven't even lined up the titles correctly with each other on the spines. If you're going to spend so much time on the packaging, why do you not just create better packaging on each side, rather than wasting space on both languages and creating the totally unprofessional looking work that covers these releases?

The Punisher cover is especially awful. I'd rank it as the worst bi-lingual cover I'm unfortunate enough to own.

The Punisher:

I would like an explanation as to why the promised 28 page comic was not permitted in the Canadian release put out by Alliance Atlantis. There seems to be no logical reason for it to have been excluded, and yet all we get is a very poorly made insert. When I get an insert, if it's more than one page, I expect to find something of use inside it. Instead I open it and find yet more French.

Clerks X:

Why, exactly, did you feel the need to withold this disk for a further two weeks? You're version of The Punisher, despite your butchery of the packaging, managed to make it to the stores on the day it was supposed too. Why the delay of Clerks X? A lot of Kevin Smith fans in Canada are extremely angry with Alliance over this, me among them, and some explanation would be nice. Not only are we angry, we're concerned as it's not unusual for Alliance to dump special features to accommodate French language tracks.

In short, Alliance Atlantis are on very thin ice with a sizeable portion of DVD purchasers. Those hardcore DVD fans like me who purchase a lot of DVD's. Unless a decent and convincing explanation is forthcoming from Alliance Atlantis, then I for one will be importing disks from the US in future, since it's the only way to guarantee receiving the disk that has actually been advertised in press releases, and not winding up with some awfully packaged, version which has had lord knows what done to it.

#18 of 65 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,075 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted September 09 2004 - 12:52 PM

I was in Rogers Video the other day, and they had accidentally put out Clerks X on the shelves. Unfortunately, they removed it before I had a chance to snag a copy.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#19 of 65 OFFLINE   ChristianB

ChristianB

Stunt Coordinator

• 241 posts

Posted September 09 2004 - 01:26 PM

Quote:
So I am all hyped out about today being a major release day and not only is Clerks X delayed in canada but, they delayed Ginger snaps III as well.....At least They didn't delay dawn of the dead!

Well, Seville is releasing Ginger Snaps: The Beginning and Anchor Bay has Dawn Of The Dead (Ultimate Edition). No Alliance Atlantis here Posted Image

Nice letter Eric. Good luck with it! Posted Image

#20 of 65 OFFLINE   Jeremy Brupaste

Jeremy Brupaste

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted September 09 2004 - 02:13 PM

Yes Eric, nice one! Please let us all know what kind of response you get from those creeps at Alliance. I'm hoping for the best, but prepared to get another 'see no evil, hear no evil' kind of form letter. (All of the emails I've sent them have been either rudely worded or dismissed my concerns outright.)

The only thing I'm concerned about happening is Alliance flexing their right to allow only their versions in Canada - and cut off the availability of American imports from Amazon.ca.

I mean, they're exactly the kind of company who'd do that, instead of, say, LISTENING to their customers...

Forum Nav Content I Follow