Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

DVD recorder advice needed..

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Jeff Ashforth

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted September 06 2004 - 05:59 AM

I'd like to get a recorder soon and I need some advice from the pros. I will mainly be using this unit to transfer my Star Wars LD's to dvd, and then after that, transfering home movies on compact VHS and miniDV to DVD. Occasionaly I might see myself recording off TV, but not that much.

I'm leaning towards the units WITHOUT the hard drive, simply because I think my cable company will be offering a HDPVR soon. I'm a loyal Panny man so I've been looking at This Model.

Right now I have an HD set top cable box from my local cable company. It is connected to my Tosh 57H81 through component cables. If I got a DVDR/PVR, would I just have to pass the COAX cable from the wall through the DVDR/PVR to my cable box to be able to record off cable? Also, would I still be able to use all of the cable box's onscreen guides and so forth?

I know I wouldn't be able to record HD programing to DVD, but could I record it to the DVDR/PVR's hard drive?

Finally, a question to those of you who have made DVD's of your Star Wars LD's:

How is the image quality if you use FR (flexible recording time) to get each movie on a single side of a disc?

Thanks.

J.
Procrastinators unite, tomorrow.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted September 06 2004 - 06:33 AM

I can't answer your detailed questions, I'm afraid, but I would advise this: make very sure that the model you buy can record from other digital media. I have a Panasonic and it refuses point blank to copy other DVDs, etc, even if they aren't copyright (like home movies Posted Image ). If you're intent on copying from your LD this could be a rather important point. However, I've got to ask - why are you recording Star Wars from LD (technically speaking illegal, I suspect) when it's coming on DVD? Also, as far as I'm aware, any recording you make will only be in stereo; I don't think any DVD recorder offers surround sound as yet.

Quote:
Also, would I still be able to use all of the cable box's onscreen guides and so forth?

If your system in the US is anything like our Brit system, then the answer is that you record the signal that is normally fed straight to the TV. So in other words, if it's what you can see on the TV, then it'll record. However, I would seriously doubt that if you're copying a programme it'll record any extra information embedded in the original signal.

I'd also add that if you do have a hard disc recording unit, it makes life a lot easier.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Brian Co

Brian Co

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted September 06 2004 - 09:30 AM

Quote:
I have a Panasonic and it refuses point blank to copy other DVDs, etc, even if they aren't copyright (like home movies Posted Image).

Panasonic units will copy noncopyrighted material just fine, whether from a DVD or VHS source. For copyrighted material, a simple clarifier can be purchased which will allow you to back these up as well.

Quote:
I know I wouldn't be able to record HD programing to DVD, but could I record it to the DVDR/PVR's hard drive?

Once you have content on the HDPVR this can be archived to either the Recorders Hard Drive and/or DVDR. You could also record directly to either the DVD Recorders HD or directly to DVDR. The resolution will be shifted down accordingly in either case.

Regardless of whether or not your cable company offers a HDPVR at some point in time, I'll cast another strong vote that you look at a unit WITH a Hard Drive. For anytype of editing, whether it be chopping out commercials or extraneous bits here and there from Home Movies etc., it's simply a must if you're wanting this capability. Keeping footage on the HD for multiple High Speed Lossless Burns of Home Movies you'd like to send out to relatives is also an added bonus. As for the Star Wars LD's if you're going to want to cut out the blank spaces while you're switching sides, the HD's going to come in handy. Any recording will be recorded in Stero only.

Quote:
However, I've got to ask - why are you recording Star Wars from LD (technically speaking illegal, I suspect) when it's coming on DVD?

As for the Star Wars LD's, they are the original theatrical presentations, unlike the DVDs which are being released. These are of the Special Editions only. Damn you Lucas Posted Image
What exactly is rotten in Denmark?

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Jeff Ashforth

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted September 06 2004 - 11:17 AM

Thanks for the responses so far.

As for the SW lasers, they are indeed the original theatrical versions.

How about thoughts on the FR mode of recording? How does it compare to Pioneer's VBR mode?

Cheers.
J.
Procrastinators unite, tomorrow.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Brian Co

Brian Co

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted September 06 2004 - 11:28 AM

Quote:
How about thoughts on the FR mode of recording?

It's quite effective. You're simply letting the unit know how long your recorded footage is going to be so that it can use the maximum quality and bitrate settings for the designated time (filling the disc). With a HD unit, I'd setup a FR recording and pad it out for a minute or so (to compansate for switching LD sides), which I'd then subsequently edit out prior to dubbing.
What exactly is rotten in Denmark?

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted September 06 2004 - 08:00 PM

Quote:
Panasonic units will copy noncopyrighted material just fine, whether from a DVD or VHS source.

Well, how come my Panasonic won't record non-copyright DVDs and nor will other people's Panasonics that I personally know about? [They'll record all non-copy protected VHS tapes without any problem].

Do you mean that the latest generation of Panasonics will? In which case, this is a definite improvement.

Back to Blu-ray, DVD, LD, Tivo, Satellite and Other Playback Devices

Forum Nav Content I Follow