What's new

Do you have a favorite TV show moment or episode? (1 Viewer)

StephenA

Screenwriter
Mine would be the episode of I Love Lucy with Harpo Marx. I love Harpo and Lucy mirror each other and when Harpo plays the harp afterwards.

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
The first one that comes to mind is a Friends moment with Joey and Rachel.

Joey: It's all a moo point

Rachel: A moo point?

Joey: yeah, you know, it's like a cow's opinion, it's moo

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
Sports Night:

- The Dana/Casey kiss in "Special Powers" put to the classic Betty Everett tune "It's In His Kiss"

Buffy:

- Xander walking down the school hallway in "Bewitched, Bewildered and Bothered" to AWB's "Got the Love"

The West Wing:

- Pretty much anything from the golden era (S1-S4) having to do with Sam, Toby, Josh, Donna, C.J., Leo, or Bartlet. But let's pick some out.

- C.J. and Danny squaring off in "What Kind of Day Has it Been?" It was the first time that I realized that the dialogue was actually music and was affecting me not through the literal meanings but by the properties of music.

- Bartlet squaring off with Dr. Jacobs in "The Midterms" on Bible issues. Any show that can make you cheer at a character's stance on something you disagree with is a great show. "When the President stands, nobody sits" had me going "YEEEAAAAHH!!"

- Leo's "This guy's walking down the street when he falls in a hole" soliloquy to Josh at the end of "Noel" A perfect example of how a character saying something without literally saying it is far more powerful than literally saying it. Imagine if Leo had said "Hey Josh. I'm here for you. I'm going to help you through this"

- The Yo-Yo Ma sequence in "Noel" Masterfully edited and directed.

-The teaser in "The Midterms" C.J. carrying a seven page scene on her own in a multi-minute walk and talk continous shot. This my friends, is why I love the West Wing. I think only about two relevant things that related to anything else in the episode. Everything else was music for the sake of music. Not for the sake of storytelling but for the sake of music.

- Three moments in the masterpiece that is "Two Cathedrals" Bartlet's enraged Latin rant towards God in the National Cathedral. The vision of Mrs. Landingham during the storm segwaying into what I think is one of the best moments in any movie or television show ever; the walking to the press conference montage set to Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms"

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
When Maggie and Joel are lying in the woods listening for the trees to talk in "Dateline: Cicely" and Chris flinging Maggie's piano in "Burning Down the House" - back to back episodes of Northern Exposure during its apex

When Bill Haverchuck is dressing as The Bionic Woman for Halloween in "Tricks and Treats" - Freaks and Geeks

When Bob wakes up in bed with Emily and discovers that the whole New England inn thing was a dream in the finale of Newhart

Pembleton and Bayliss interviewing Risley Tucker about Adena Watson in "Three Men and Adena" - Homicide: Life on the Street

I can probably come up with several more, but those are the ones that came to mind first.

Brad

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
The end of Angel: The Series - "Let's go to work."

The end of Becoming Part II on Buffy.

Cooper getting shot at the end of the first season of Twin Peaks - "Agent Cooper, it's Andy! Agent Cooper?"

Cooper's first Red Room dream in episode 2 of Twin Peaks. - "Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's alwas music in the air." ... "No...it can wait until morning."

The final episode of Twin Peaks - "How's Annie"

...okay, enough Twin Peaks. I could go on for hours :)

The first episode of 24 season 2 - "I'm gonna need a hacksaw!"

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
The sea was angry that day my friends...like an old man trying to return soup at a deli - The Marine Biologist, Seinfeld

Someone's at the door - The premiere episode of American Gothic. As much as I liked the show I don't think it ever topped its first episode.

When Rickey does his thing at the school dance in My So Called Life

The minamalist, artistic even, episode of Family Ties with Alex dealing with the death of his best friend. IIRC they removed the walls of the sets and would alternate scenes between just the actors on empty black stages with sets with furniture and simple props but no walls. Very ambitious in trying to use staging to evoke a character's mind set and grief, especially on a family sitcom.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Ditto, plus the comic relief provided by Lewis and Crosetti. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard after getting so tensed up.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
One of my favorites is DEAD LIKE ME.

I think the episode is called THE COOK.

When Rube confronts the customer who wants the cheese on his patty melt, melted on the bread.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
One of my favorites is also one of the most watched final episodes in TV history:

As Hawkeye rises up in the helicopter to see "GOODBYE" in stone letters on the ground.

Hits me as I never watched MASH as a kid when it was airiing. I didn't start until the Mid-90's syndication after I returned from server a year in Korea.

JamieD

Supporting Actor
The end of the pilot for Six Feet Under. When Nate sees his father in the bus. And it all hits him. And us.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
The original series finale of Magnum, PI, when he died and walked off into the clouds; but the ratings jumped and they changed the ending in the reruns for another season. But that original airing hit it just right.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
M*A*S*H - "Dreams" episode. Truly haunting psychological imagery. The soldier on the cross, dripping blood onto Father Mulcahey's bible -- that image, in particular, left an extremely indelible mental imprint on my psyche.

WKRP - The Thanksgiving episode, and the 2-part "An Explosive Affair" (the bomb threat, with Johnny's paranoia about "phone cops")

Moonlighting - The moment when Maddie and David's "bitch"/"bastard" slapfest ended up with them rolling around the living room floor and shoving the furniture out of their way. That one electic moment, to this day, still gives me chills every time I see it.

Ditto the "still gives me chills every time" comment - The moment in Xena's "Maternal Instincts" episode when she cries out in anguish over her son's death. I can be in another room, totally distracted, and hear that scream, and I physically shiver. I absolutely love the "Bitter Suite" ep also, which immediately followed.

A handful of the Hercules comedic eps are comedic gems, IMO, and perfect examples of a show totally skewering itself and its own image. ("Men In Pink"; "My Fair Cupcake"; "Just Passing Through"; "Yes, Virginia, There Is A Hercules", "For Those Of You Just Joining Us")

The Bob Newhart Show - "Over The River And Through The Woods" - the one where Bob, Jerry, Mr. Carlin, and Howard get drunk on Thanksgiving (What is it with me and Thanksgiving episodes?!?)

Twilight Zone (original) - "The Eye Of The Beholder" (Perspective really is everything, isn't it?)

Mad About You - "The Finale" 3-parter when Paul and Jamie separated. The part from the moment when Jamie tells Paul that she kissed the other guy, then follows him through the house (much against his wishes), and he ends up walking out the door. And, Paul's encounter with the other guy in the elevator.

The moment in the "La Femme Nikita" pilot when Nikita realizes that her night out with Michael is a mission. Her transformation from happy/giddy to terrified/bewildered/betrayed NEVER ceases to amaze me...I feel her pain every time I see that bit. IMO, the TV show handled this scene SO much better than the movies did. And Peta Wilson proved on the spot that she was much more than just a pretty face and a sexy voice.

There are tons more, but these are all "off the top of my head" standouts.

Aaron Cooke

Second Unit
From the cane episode of Newsradio when Dave finally admits he stole Bill's cane. The way he delivers the line "Bill....I stole your cane" and the look on his face are great.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
From Curb Your Enthusiasm: The Doll

"Mommy! Mommy! That bum's in the bathroom and there's something HARD in his pants!"

Or from ST: TNG:

"Captain, I protest. I am NOT a merry man!"

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Last "Newhart" where he wakes up in bed with Suzanne Pleshette and it turns out the whole series was a dream by his character
on the "Bob Newhart Show".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks