What's new

RIP XMPCR, we hardly knew ye! (1 Viewer)

Lee L

Supporting Actor
If you have not been following other forums, it appears that the XM PCR has been taken off the market due to the fact that someone came up with some recording software for it.

I actually had been thinking about getting one recently (not for recrding, just listening in the office) but now I'm not willing to pay 10 times the cost on ebay.

BrianAe

Second Unit
Ouch. That really sucks. If the same thing happens to Sirius streaming, that will really suck.

Nicky C

Auditioning
That's strange. If you do a search they are still available, even at the official XM site.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Call XM. They totally discontinued them and pulled the product from the stores. Something to do with timeshifting software (TimeTrax?) that allowed people to rip/download straight from XM.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
Damn. About two or three weeks ago the xmfanstore.com was selling just the XMPCR unit (no antenna) for like $15.00.

Also: just took a look over at ebay and the full XMPCR units are selling for $100+.

kevitra

Second Unit
My understanding is that someone wrote a program that would rip the songs as MP3s, complete with artist and song title information.

It really wouldn't be that difficult to determine when the songs start/end since the title changes.

What I find rediculous is that because of that they pulled the product. Someone could easily do the same thing with launch.com or any of the other streaming services. That is like Honda deciding to stop selling cars because someone uses a car illegally.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks