-

Photo
- - - - -

Rear channel dipole or direct?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 Nick L

Nick L

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted September 01 2004 - 04:01 AM

I will be moving into my first house in October. Since the house has a large room we will be using for the theater room, I am finally going to buy speakers that match my mains and center. Right now I have Kef Q7's for my mains and a Q9c for the center. I love the way they sound. My question is should I buy the Q2DS or the Q1's for the rears? I currently have direct radiating rears at my apartment. I've tried using dipoles with a pair of Klipsch .5's for my rears. I did not care for their performance, but am thinking it has more to do with the low end non-matching speakers than dipoles in general. Plus they were mounted almost directly above the listeners head. Do you have dipoles or direct radiating for your rears? Would you buy them again?

Thanks
Nick L
On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

#2 of 7 Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted September 01 2004 - 04:08 AM

I am using direct radiating speakers. For me it was a matter of room configuration and budget. If and when I get a chance to turn our garage into a home theater room, I might consider dipoles. For now I am content with the direct radiating speakers I am using.
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#3 of 7 Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray

Second Unit

• 308 posts

Posted September 01 2004 - 04:43 AM

There is lots of info on this if you do a search. It basically boils down to trying each one out and using what YOU think sounds best. Also don't forget that dipols/bipoles, etc will cost more then a similar direct radiator.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." Frank Zappa

Dealer listing for Toronto & Area

My Shiva

#4 of 7 Tom D

Tom D

Stunt Coordinator

• 140 posts

Posted September 01 2004 - 05:12 AM

Hi, If you have a Denon amp or are thinking of upgradeing your current amp, Denon allows you to switch rear speakers A, B or A&B. this way you can have both types of rear speakers. I have both in my set up. It really boils down to the sound that you prefer. You basically have to demo both types at home, preferably at the same point in time so you can compare each others "sound", then take back the one you did not prefer.

Regards, Tom

#5 of 7 Brian L

Brian L

Screenwriter

• 2,882 posts

Posted September 01 2004 - 09:05 AM

Here's a link to the most recent discussion on the subject...

http://www.hometheat....hreadid=208875

No absolutes here, IMHO.

BGL

#6 of 7 Tom D

Tom D

Stunt Coordinator

• 140 posts

Posted September 01 2004 - 09:55 AM

Hi Brian, will you be using a 5.1 setup or 6/7.1 setup? I would think that in a 6.1 or 7.1 set up you could place monopole, direct radiating speakers to the side and above your seating area facing each other and have the rear surrounds facing in, filling the center rear soundstage.

Regards, Tom

#7 of 7 Brian L

Brian L

Screenwriter

• 2,882 posts

Posted September 01 2004 - 11:52 AM

I normally have a 6.1 set up but my NAD 762 is currently in the shop, so I am running 5.1 for now.

I have some room limitations in terms of speaker placement (who doesn't????), so the "normal" surrounds are somewhat behind my head, off to the side, and firing straight forward. My center back (I am using just 1) is actually on a window sill behind the couch, below head level, and firing upward.

And in spite of all that, it works pretty well. Apparently there are some studies that say a single back will produce what they call the "reversal effect", that is to say, content from the center back, if using a single channel, will seem to come from in front of you.

Well, with my unconventional center back positioning, I don't hear that at all. In fact, I find that discrete center back material (the initial fly over in Star Wars Attack of the Clones) sounds like its coming from behind me, right over my head, and when the center back is used along with the normal surrounds for ambience, I get a pretty good sense of envelopment too.

By having my normal surrounds at a very shallow angle firing forward, I am really listening almost totally to the side, which actually creates a somewhat diffuse effect, but you still are aware of discrete sounds. I am not sure I would want them directly to my sides, firing at my ears.

Anyway, the positioning of the 3 channels is probably why I find that it works well for film and MC music.

But as I said, I really don't feel that there is an absolute right or wrong answer to speaker type of placement, although some insist that there is only way way to do it. We all must make do with what we have in the rooms we have.

BGL