Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Monk Season 3.5 (now with Natalie, no mo' Sharona) ongoing thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
70 replies to this topic

#1 of 71 OFFLINE   Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 966 posts

Posted August 31 2004 - 03:02 AM

With contract negotiations underway for a while now, I know this had been looming as a possibility. Unfortunately, it looks like it's now official:

http://news.yahoo.co....sion_monk_dc_2

Too bad. But, at least Ted and Jason resolved their own situations and will be staying with the show.

#2 of 71 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted August 31 2004 - 04:20 AM

Damn, apart from Shaloob she was the best thing on the show.

....or Tony Shalhoub....him too...Posted Image
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#3 of 71 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted August 31 2004 - 04:28 AM

No way this is a good thing. With the rest of the cast staying the same, a new character is going to have to perform Sharona's function without seeming an obvious substitute. I'm sure it's been done well at some point on some show, but I can't actually recall an example.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#4 of 71 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,849 posts

Posted August 31 2004 - 04:34 AM

How about when Na'Toth on Babylon 5 got replaced with different actresses in the early seasons of B5?
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#5 of 71 OFFLINE   nolesrule

nolesrule

Producer

• 3,084 posts
  • LocationClearwater, FL

Posted August 31 2004 - 05:45 AM

Patrick, not really a good example. There's a reason that Na'Toth pretty much disappears during the second season, and it's not because of the great replacement choice.

Julie Caitlin Brown as Na'Toth to replace Ko'Dath within the first few episodes was a good choice. Mary Kay Adams' Na'Toth was not a good replacement for Julie Catlin Brown.

It is difficult to replace a strong character. Jason's right when he says "a new character is going to have to perform Sharona's function without seeming an obvious substitute". The likeliness of it feeling forced is high.

#6 of 71 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,849 posts

Posted August 31 2004 - 06:14 AM

Bring back the black nurse from a few episodes ago. Posted Image
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#7 of 71 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted August 31 2004 - 06:20 AM

Quote:
Bring back the black nurse from a few episodes ago.

n..no please don't do that...Posted Image
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#8 of 71 OFFLINE   MattGentry

MattGentry

Second Unit

• 257 posts

Posted August 31 2004 - 07:16 AM

Gonna have to agree. She plays Williams (I think) on Reno 911! and is by far the worst character on the show...

#9 of 71 OFFLINE   Phil_L

Phil_L

Second Unit

• 377 posts

Posted August 31 2004 - 10:55 AM

This is a big let down for me. I love Monk and her character. The dynamic will certainly be different now. Maybe they will kiss and make up like on CSI.

#10 of 71 OFFLINE   Don Black

Don Black

Screenwriter

• 1,485 posts

Posted August 31 2004 - 01:30 PM

They are bringing in a bartender character in her place? I can't picture Monk in a bar. Hmmf.

#11 of 71 OFFLINE   Richard Gilmore

Richard Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator

• 199 posts

Posted September 01 2004 - 01:06 AM

Sharona with her attitude, was the perfect counterpoint to Monk. Without her, unless they are extremely lucky, the show will be weaker.

MASH was able to become even better, IMO, when they replaced a few of the originals, so there is hope.

#12 of 71 OFFLINE   Jim Dalton

Jim Dalton

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts

Posted September 01 2004 - 06:00 AM

What? No more Sharona in boots?!? Noooooooooooo!!!

Aside from that, I don't see how this will help the show at all. No doubt this is yet a casualty that stems from the showing moving from a serious drama with some funny aspects to it to a comedy with some drama to it.

Is Monk going downhill?
Only time will tell, but this is not a good sign.

#13 of 71 OFFLINE   Gabe D

Gabe D

Screenwriter

• 2,173 posts

Posted September 01 2004 - 08:56 AM

Quote:
No doubt this is yet a casualty that stems from the showing moving from a serious drama with some funny aspects to it to a comedy with some drama to it.

I don't think "Monk" was ever a serious drama.

#14 of 71 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted September 01 2004 - 09:54 AM

Yeah, I never saw it as anything but a fairly lighthearted yet satiric comedy show with a little Hardy Boys mystery thrown in for good measure.
-Kevin M.

- Roger Ebert

#15 of 71 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted September 01 2004 - 02:31 PM

Law & Order and M*A*S*H are two examples of shows that got better or at least didn't lose ground with major character changes. The obviously better example from B5 was Michael O'Hare's replacement by Bruce Boxleitner. Over-all most people (including the rest of the cast) agreed that that change was an improvement. Night Court didn't hit its stride until Markie Post joined the cast. NYPD Blue survived the loss of two leads and the promotion of the original "quirky second banana" to leading man and did just fine, thanks.

I wouldn't go into full-blown "the sky is falling" mode until I see who replaces Sharona and how. Shaloub's Monk himself is the heart and sould of the show. It can probably survive the loss of just about anyone except him. Frank Burns made a pretty good butt for Pierce's jokes, but he was less a character than a comic device. When Charles Emerson Winchester III was added to the cast he was a genuine comic foil for Pierce who could give as good as he got and sometimes even win. Pierce became a better character for having an equal to play off of. It may be that the writers will be forced to think a bit outside the box of their own making in bringing in a new character who is not just a Sharona clone, and this may make the show better because they'll have to try new things and approach the show and the characters from a new direction.

Regards,

Joe

#16 of 71 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted September 01 2004 - 02:36 PM

Quote:
moving from a serious drama with some funny aspects to it to a comedy with some drama to it.

Jim:

Were we watching the same show? The pilot didn't have as many laughs as many of the episodes, but I think that's because it was badly paced and too full of exposition. I don't think it was an attempt at "serious drama" so much as an attempt at comedy that didn't quite come off. Once the show proper started it always struck me as a comedy first and a mystery second (with only the occasional moment of genuine drama.)

BTW, I did a double take when I saw your name. I have a brother-in-law and nephew who share it. Posted Image

Regards,

Joe

#17 of 71 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,083 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted September 02 2004 - 02:52 AM

If something terrible happened to Sharona, that could send the series in an interesting direction (or a terrible direction depending on how they handle it). I haven't heard anything about how they plan to write her out, though.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#18 of 71 OFFLINE   Jim Dalton

Jim Dalton

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts

Posted September 02 2004 - 03:01 AM

Joe,

I always saw Monk as being like Columbo. Not as serious as CSI or any of the Law and Order shows out there, but also not as comedic as it has now become. The funny moments derived from his OCD and how it effected him in our normal surroundings.

Putting Kevin Dorfman back in the show for that one episode was real torture. If he's going to be the replacement for Sharona, my Monk days may be at an end. The guy just grates on me (and the wife, too) BIG TIME!

And while a friend of mine is a huge fan of MASH, to me it was never the same after Henry left.

And BTW, I have a brudda name Joe. So, how's that for coincidences? Posted Image

#19 of 71 OFFLINE   Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 966 posts

Posted September 02 2004 - 04:03 AM

A brief but worthwhile read:

http://filmforce.ign...3/543418p1.html

#20 of 71 OFFLINE   John Watson

John Watson

Screenwriter

• 1,937 posts

Posted September 02 2004 - 08:14 AM

Yeah, Sharona has the Knack alright. Hard to imagine a replacement. Posted Image

Did Peter Falk ever guest star in Monk?

Forum Nav Content I Follow