-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

EQing a sealed sub w/BFD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 Dan_M

Dan_M

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted August 30 2004 - 03:57 PM

I have recently been reading up on using Linkwitz Transforms to flatten sealed subs. I'm wondering how well a BFD can be used in this way. I know they don't have any filters below 20hz, but can you use the Fine and Bandwidth settings to reach below 20? Also is there anythign I can use to model the effects of the EQ on things such as the excursion and SPL of the setup? I want to be sure I'm not going to be pushing my driver past its limits.

Right now I have a large(143l) ported box taking up quite a bit of space in my room. If I can get the size down while not loosing too much extension or SPL, both me and my wife would be very happy.

#2 of 11 GrahamT

GrahamT

Supporting Actor

• 556 posts

Posted August 30 2004 - 04:23 PM

You cant get below 20 Hz with the BFD, not even with the fine settings. Maybe a wide bandwidth at 20, but I dunno. The filters have some effect below 20 but I am not sure by how much. If you can afford a Tumult, it is happy in a small box.

#3 of 11 Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted August 30 2004 - 05:05 PM

Quote:
You cant get below 20 Hz with the BFD, not even with the fine settings.
I’ve heard that too, that the BFD brick-walls at 20Hz. But if that were true how to you explain Sonnie Parker’s EQ’d curve?

Posted Image

Obviously a broad filter set low will extend below 20Hz.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#4 of 11 GrahamT

GrahamT

Supporting Actor

• 556 posts

Posted August 30 2004 - 06:02 PM

Quote:
Maybe a wide bandwidth at 20, but I dunno. The filters have some effect below 20 but I am not sure by how much.

Maybe I should have said you can't have a center filter frequency below 20 Hz. My Tempest only goes down to 16 Hz, and between there and 20 they are effected by the 20 Hz wide band filter, but by how much I am not sure.

#5 of 11 Dan_M

Dan_M

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted August 30 2004 - 06:20 PM

I figured a filter with the widest bandwidth possible at 20hz would get me the extension I'd need. I'm not positive how far this would stress the driver as far as excursion goes though. Is there anyway I can check this?

#6 of 11 dave alan

dave alan

Second Unit

• 256 posts

Posted August 31 2004 - 01:50 AM

A smaller, sealed box generally protects your driver from over excursion. It's the amp that will be stressed at playback of the lower frequencies.

It takes 12 dB of boost to move the F3 down 1 octave. For example, if your F3 is 40 Hz, you'll need 16 times the power to equal that at 20 Hz, SPL limited by the amplifier much moreso than the driver's excursion capabilities.

Post the info on your driver and some numbers can be posted for box size, EQ, amp power, SPL and excursion.

#7 of 11 Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey

Producer

• 4,952 posts

Posted August 31 2004 - 01:56 AM

http://www.pvconsult...eq/linktran.htm
SVS Customer Service
http://www.svsound.com
sales@svsound.com
techsupport@svsound.com

#8 of 11 ThomasW

ThomasW

Screenwriter

• 2,282 posts

Posted August 31 2004 - 02:36 AM

The filters do not brickwall at 20Hz. Here's some text from Ken Bruce's review
Quote:
Frequency response appears to be greater than spec'd. The lower end continues to be linear until at least 5Hz which is certainly as far as I care about. The output level drops off below that, but continues easily to 1Hz. I'm certainly not too concerned about digitizing my low frequency chain. The sampling rate is 46KHz. At these low frequencies, that's a heck of a lot of samples. The 20 bit samples are certainly enough.
Obviously one must chose a pretty wide filter to get boost down low. And doing that may have a negative impact on the higher frequencies in the filter's passband

And no parametric EQ can't not substitute for a LT circuit

#9 of 11 Dan_M

Dan_M

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted August 31 2004 - 08:10 AM

Here are some T/S params of my Dayton driver:

500 watts RMS/700 watts max *Le: 3.17 mH *Impedance: 4 ohms *Re: 3.07 ohms *Fs: 22.2 Hz *SPL: 88.6 dB 2.83V/1m *Vas: 2.61 cu. ft. *Qms: 6.12 *Qes: .47 *Qts: .44 *Xmax: 18.7 mm *Sd: .0447 m^2

I'm using the PE 250W plate amp.

I played with that spreadsheet linked above quite a bit. It seems odd it uses the driver diameter to calculate Sd and Vd. That doesn't seem to be very accurate.

#10 of 11 ChristopherD

ChristopherD

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted September 02 2004 - 05:21 AM

Quote:
And no parametric EQ can't not substitute for a LT circuit

ThomasW, can you please clarify?

#11 of 11 dave alan

dave alan

Second Unit

• 256 posts

Posted September 03 2004 - 12:43 AM

Dan,

I would try approx 1.7 cu ft.

I would also e-mail Dr Phil Marchand and ask him about a single board, assembled and tested Bassis circuit with fixed values for:

Fs = 36 Hz
Qs = .7
Boost = 10 dB
Qb = variable (Purchase a pot and knob. This will give you variable 'Q').
You won't need a SS filter.

I'd suggest a 550 watt amp. That should give you an F3 of 20 Hz@ 104 dB, 1W/1M.

I'll guess you'll lose about 5 dB@ 20 Hz vs your existing setup, but you'll have a 2nd order roll off, which should work well with your room and much lower group delay.

Of course, the numbers are theoretical, YMMV, but I think they'll be close to reality.

My 2 cents.

Dave

Back to Members' Theaters, HT Projects, Remotes, Seating, Accessories & Lighting

Forum Nav Content I Follow