-

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: Star Trek: Generations - Special Collector's Edition

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
267 replies to this topic

#261 of 268 Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor

• 849 posts

Posted October 05 2004 - 05:40 AM

Quote:
The only ST movie not in my collection; so be it.
What, you have ST5? Now that's dedication.

#262 of 268 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,467 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted October 05 2004 - 06:00 AM

[Thread Troll] This will continue to be the only ST movie not in my collection because it's not a film worth owning. (Yes, worse than ST5!) [/Thread Troll]
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#263 of 268 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted October 06 2004 - 04:16 AM

Quote:
I have issues with the video quality of this disc, but it is an improvement over the last release.

I agree. Color saturation is superior, and so is detail.

As noted, the problems with this transfer are not caused by "edge enhancement", which is fast becoming a catch-all term for any video issue. It's aliasing, which continues to be a problem on some transfers, though far less often than in the LD era.

I have the LD and both DVDs. This is by far the best version.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#264 of 268 Doug_B

Doug_B

Screenwriter

• 1,084 posts

Posted October 06 2004 - 04:28 PM

Quote:
What, you have ST5? Now that's dedication.

I hadn't seen it prior to purchasing the DVD. So maybe this means that I'm more tolerant of questionable content than questionable video quality Posted Image .

Doug

#265 of 268 JimmyK

JimmyK

Second Unit

• 467 posts

Posted October 21 2004 - 11:37 AM

I was able to borrow the new anamorphic release and compare it to the older non-anamorphic release that I already own.

I was surprised to see that the problems noted in the new release are also in the old release. However, due to the softer picture of the old release, they don't stand out quite as much.

So, since the new release can be found at such a low price, has the extras, and the overall quality is better (IMO), then I will be purchasing the new version.

Hope this comparison helped someone. If someone already posted a comparison, my appologies.

JimmyK

PS - This comparison was on a 40" Tosh 40H80 tube rear projection set calibrated by Gregg Loewen.

#266 of 268 Dave Miller

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor

• 853 posts

Posted February 05 2005 - 10:32 AM

I just finished listening to the commentary by Moore and Braga. I've never heard two people be so critical of a film they worked on. I realize Moore is a sharp guy, but this commmentary affirmed the complaints I've always heard about Braga. He does not have a clue.

Peace,

DM
"We all end up dead, the question is how and why."

#267 of 268 mikey ra

mikey ra

Stunt Coordinator

• 71 posts

Posted March 07 2005 - 06:20 AM

On the featurette "Visual Effects - Crashing the Enterprise" did anyone else's copy show lines and blips on the screen during some of the outdoor parts where they showed the prep work for the crashing of the model. I thinks its on the video source used to make this featurette, but I wanted to confirm this isn't a problem with my copy.

#268 of 268 Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted March 20 2005 - 02:33 PM

Went and ordered the original R2 PAL release. Looks pretty good. Shame about the R1 SE transfer especially when "First Contact" just got stellar reviews....

Forum Nav Content I Follow