What's new

HDTV antenna for over-the-air reception (1 Viewer)

Burklund

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought the Sony KD-34XBR960 [Full HDTV (built-in ATSC tuner for over-the-air HD reception)]. I want to be able to pick up local HDTV reception, but I need an antenna. Has anyone here used an HDTV antenna? I've searched and found indoor and outdoor antennas. I'd like to avoid an outdoor if possible, but wondering how well the indooors work? Full HDTV (built-in ATSC tuner for over-the-air HD reception)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
All depends how far away you are from the antennas, if there is anything between you and the antennas that would block the signal, and whether or not all antennas are in the same place.

Check out www.antennaweb.org

You can punch in your zip code (IIRC) and it will tell you what type of antenna you need.

As point of comparison, I live maybe 3 miles from the antennas in my city, but my TV is on the back side of my house, and with an indoor antenna, I get squat. I have an attic antenna, which lets me get solid signal from all but one local digital station. I have friends in the same area more or less, and they are good with a cheap pair of rabbit ears.

So, no simple answer in the digital TV age!

BGL

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There is no such thing as an HDTV antenna. It's just a marketing gimmick to sell antennas at an inflated price. Just get an antenna based on your needs. The Antennaweb link will tell you what type (UHF, VHF or both) and size antenna that you need. And make sure the store you buy it in has a good return policy.

-Robert

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

Yup, thats what's up in my attic.

Not sure it would pass muster in the den though:)

BGL

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Or a Double Bowtie antenna (now available at Radio Shack again). If you are in the green/yellow zones, you can get by with a small in-door antenna (and perhaps need an antenna signal booster).

GordonL

Supporting Actor
Burkland,
If you're in the NoVa area, you might want to try Mark Electronic Supply. Last time I was there, they had the Channel Master 3021/4221 ($25) and the 4228 ($50) in stock.
They're located in Beltsville, MD, right behind the Costco. 301-595-5040.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
so what is the general gist? that any antenna hooked up will work? even a cheapie 15 dollar rabbit-ear model?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you are close enough to the towers, a rusty coat hanger or a bent paper clip will work. And they will probably work better than a Terk antenna.

-Robert

GordonL

Supporting Actor
Unfortunately, as far as indoor antennas, what works for some people doesn't work for others. You'll just have to try it yourself. In general, if you are able to get the analog channels using cheapie rabbit ears, you stand a higher chance of being able to receive digital channels. A couple of the indoor antennas previously mentioned, Silver Sensor & Radio Shack double bow-tie, are supposed to be better than most at receiving HDTV.

Jay Blair

Second Unit
Silver Sensor, but use it with a Channel Master 7777 preamp. I live in a combination red and yellow zone (for most channels) in Los Angeles and get all of the available HD channels except for the UPN channel with this combo. The reception is greatly improved, though I do have to reposition the antenna to get everything. I compared the Radio Shack double-bowtie to the Silver Sensor and got more channels with the Silver Sensor (I compared them before getting the preamp).

Dave_Olds

Stunt Coordinator

Amen - Preaching to the choir....

There just isnt any cut & dried solution with indoor antennas that fill all applications. Indoor antennas are simply like real estate - location, location, location...

For Instance - I live in a very rural area 30 miles away from transmission towers and the Zenith Silver Sensor copy made by Terk works better than antenna I have tried and most people claim it stinks....Whereas the much vaunted Radio Shack 15-1880 with amplifier wont pull in half my channels....Even my outdoor antenna struggles with a few stations whereas the Terk pulls them in easily....Weird Stuff for sure....

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
No personal experience here, but the review of the Square Shooter in Home Theater was a bit underwhelming. It was OK, but for the cost, it did not set the world on fire.

BGL

Tsutomu Ohno

Auditioning
I put up the SquareShooter about a month ago so I could watch the HD broadcasts of the Olympics. It is very easy to put up because of its size and it pulled in all the digital broadcasts easily. Very stable with no dropouts with my Samsung tuner that I use with my front projector. Couldn't be happier. If I recall right, the latest issue of Perfect Vision has a pretty positive review on it.

Tsutomu

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks