What's new

Kevin Smith announces "Clerks 2" (1 Viewer)

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
from ViewAskew.com:

LOS ANGELES -- Kevin Smith is making another convenience store run.

The writer-director of "Dogma," "Chasing Amy" and "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" told the Associated Press on Friday that he has begun work on a sequel to "Clerks," his homemade indie classic from 1994.

That $27,000 movie, shot at night in a store where Smith worked, chronicled the adventures of Dante and Randal, two guys who talk about life, death, sex and movies while working at neighboring stores.

The sequel picks up 10 years later.

"It's about what happens when that lazy, 20-something malaise lasts into your 30s. Those dudes are kind of still mired, not in that same exact situation, but in a place where it's time to actually grow up and do something more than just sit around and dissect pop culture and talk about sex," Smith said during an interview at his Hollywood office. "It's: What happened to these dudes?"

A new 10th anniversary DVD of "Clerks" debuts Sept. 7, and Smith said working on that three-disc set inspired him to write about what became of those characters.

The sequel - titled "The Passion of the Clerks" - is set to begin shooting in January. Miramax Films, which turned the original into a cult-hit after buying it at the Sundance Film Festival, plans to distribute the follow-up.

"It's funny, it's very raw, insanely foul-mouthed. In many ways it's the antithesis of 'Jersey Girl,'" Smith said, referring to his recent PG-13 comedy with Ben Affleck as the widowed father of a little girl.

Smith is also writing the screenplay for a movie version of "The Green Hornet," but no longer thinks he will direct it. The "Clerks" movie has moved to the top of his to-do list.

He said he called Jeff Anderson, who played the combative video-store worker Randal, and Brian O'Halloran, who was the besieged-by-strangeness convenience store employee Dante, to run the idea by them first.

"Jeff was actually very protective of 'Clerks,'" Smith said. "Jeff was like, 'Are you sure you want to do this? That movie means a lot to people and do you want to go back?' I thought about it honestly, and it would seem chicken to not give it a shot just because I'm afraid of (messing) with the first film."

So far, he said he has gotten only positive responses from the people who have read the script, so he decided to move forward with it. Both O'Halloran and Anderson are signed on, and Jason Mewes, will return as stoner Jay, the "hetero life-mate" of Smith's stoic Silent Bob.

"I'm sure there will be naysayers who say, 'Oh my God, it's an opportunistic grab at a buck,' but it's not. We're doing it for nothing," Smith said. "We're going to do it insanely inexpensively. The budget will be somewhere between 250 grand and $5 million."

The original was shot pre-dawn, and most of the actors worked for free and then went straight to their day-jobs with little or no sleep.

"This time around we'll afford ourselves the luxury of nice 12-hour days," Smith said. "And people can get paid."

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Wow! I was always half hoping that a Clerks sequel was coming (Hardly Clerkin' :)), and now it's announced.

I'm with Kevin, at least give it a shot.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Great news! :) And I'm just as excited about the return of Jay and Silent Bob as I am about the movie itself :emoji_thumbsup: Bring it on! :D

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Bad move. Having tried to go down a different path with Jersey Girl returning to his previous material will put him back where he started. His fans will be pleased but the for the rest of us he is no longer of any significance. He is like the local bar band that can't make the break out into a bigger market.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'll be interested to see this. Haven't watched Jersey Girl yet - plan to screen it later today - but I do like his prior material (except the execrable Mallrats). It'll be fun to check out more Clerks but it also does seem like a regression and a disappointment in that regard. It'd be nice to see KS challenge himself more and not just fall back to the easy road...

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Lou.

I have no doubt I will enjoy Clerks 2 very much but Kevin Smith seems to be kind of stuck in a rut. Wasn't "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" supposed to be the true end to the the series? I did enjoy Jersey Girl as a nice change though it was a bit more cookie-cutter than I had expected.

It seems like Kevin Smith will go down the Woody Allen path- dependably turning out relatively cheap comedies with very a core group of actors

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
That ain't a bad name to be grouped with.

I'll definitely see this but I'm not sure it will say any more than J&SBSB did. It sounds very much like KS is falling back to comfortable ground.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

True, but its not really ambitious either. Allen was hot stuff in the 70's but despite generally favorable reviews its been a long time since a Woody Allen film really got any kind of attention.

If Smith does nothing but continue to continue to revisit his earlier work I'm sure the product will be enjoyable but it really seemed like he was looking to set his sights higher after Chasing Amy and Dogma.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
But I can't say that Kevin Smith is a terribly ambitious filmmaker. He's a guy who has gone on record saying that he only directs films to make the stories he wants to make, usually about stuff he knows about. I mean, if he was truely ambitious, he'd be directing Green Hornet.

This may be a mistake, it may not be. Personally, I think it could be interesting to look at the life of a slacker into their thirties. What do you do when the people around you have careers, spouses, and kids? It could work.

Jason

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

Which is why I don't group him in with the world's greatest directors. But I still love his movies. If he wants to stay small and safe, I say go for it. Not everyone has to try something new with every film they make.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

At this stage I agree. I thought differently when Chasing Amy hit though. Chasing Amy started out as an almost straight up comedy but turned pretty serious in its second half. Following that up with a comedy not afraid to tackle some serious issues about the Catholic Church indicated to me that Smith had bigger things on his mind after Clerks and Mallrats. Since then he's made two (very enjoyable) softballs and looks to follow those with a third.

Marc Bax

Second Unit
WOOHOOOO Thank God. Welcome back Jay & Silent Bob, I knew you wouldn't really leave. Forget the naysayers welcome back to what you do best. I wonder if Vincent P will be involved with this project?

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
I love "Clerks". I really do. It's probably my favorite indie film. Yet, I DESPISE the idea of a sequel. The first film ended beautifully. You really got the feeling that everything was going to be okay, at least for Dante, which the film was about. I guess Kevin Smith just can't get a break, yet when I says in the Dogma commentary that he thought some of the cast deserved academy award nominations I can't help but feel that it is somewhat deserved.

I don't know if this has been said before, but it should have; I think it's time for Kevin to retire as a director and focus on writing and let REAL director's direct his scripts. THEN, he will be able to catch a break.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This I agree with. "Clerks 2" is a safe play. Hopefully it isn't as slapstick as "J&SBSB" and plays to the slightly drier humor of the original. The characters hadn't evolved much at all between "Clerks" and "J&SBSB" so I don't see how he can realistically plot a big jump now.

Anthony_D

Stunt Coordinator
I love Kevin SMith, but he needs to forget the "Jersey Trilogy" thing.

I thought he was done with that? I want to see him do some different stuff instead of pandering to his cult following. He's a great writer!!

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor

I agree ... as much as I love all those films, this really almost reeks of a lack of ideas and creativity. Give it up already and do something different. And please no more freaking Affleck :D

RyanAn

Screenwriter
A must see for me... I was heart-broken when I heard that that Strike Back was intended to be the last one in the series, I am so very glad it is not!

Ryan

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
I personally think Clerks was the most well written of all his movies, the dialoge was incredible. Jam packed with one liners, and some of my favorite characters (Randall)which werent even mentioned in any of Kevin Smiths other works. Like Olaf. Id like to know if "Berserker" became a hit in Moscow or not.

Some questions/concerns that come to mind:
Is The Passion of the Clerks going to be in Black and White?
I take it Dante didnt get killed in the end of Clerks.

I hope the script gets leaked to the net. I remember reading Dogma long before it went into production.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks