Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Kevin Smith announces "Clerks 2"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
204 replies to this topic

#1 of 205 OFFLINE   Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter

• 1,303 posts

Posted August 27 2004 - 05:44 PM

from ViewAskew.com:

LOS ANGELES -- Kevin Smith is making another convenience store run.

The writer-director of "Dogma," "Chasing Amy" and "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" told the Associated Press on Friday that he has begun work on a sequel to "Clerks," his homemade indie classic from 1994.

That $27,000 movie, shot at night in a store where Smith worked, chronicled the adventures of Dante and Randal, two guys who talk about life, death, sex and movies while working at neighboring stores.

The sequel picks up 10 years later.

"It's about what happens when that lazy, 20-something malaise lasts into your 30s. Those dudes are kind of still mired, not in that same exact situation, but in a place where it's time to actually grow up and do something more than just sit around and dissect pop culture and talk about sex," Smith said during an interview at his Hollywood office. "It's: What happened to these dudes?"

A new 10th anniversary DVD of "Clerks" debuts Sept. 7, and Smith said working on that three-disc set inspired him to write about what became of those characters.

The sequel - titled "The Passion of the Clerks" - is set to begin shooting in January. Miramax Films, which turned the original into a cult-hit after buying it at the Sundance Film Festival, plans to distribute the follow-up.

"It's funny, it's very raw, insanely foul-mouthed. In many ways it's the antithesis of 'Jersey Girl,'" Smith said, referring to his recent PG-13 comedy with Ben Affleck as the widowed father of a little girl.

Smith is also writing the screenplay for a movie version of "The Green Hornet," but no longer thinks he will direct it. The "Clerks" movie has moved to the top of his to-do list.

He said he called Jeff Anderson, who played the combative video-store worker Randal, and Brian O'Halloran, who was the besieged-by-strangeness convenience store employee Dante, to run the idea by them first.

"Jeff was actually very protective of 'Clerks,'" Smith said. "Jeff was like, 'Are you sure you want to do this? That movie means a lot to people and do you want to go back?' I thought about it honestly, and it would seem chicken to not give it a shot just because I'm afraid of (messing) with the first film."

So far, he said he has gotten only positive responses from the people who have read the script, so he decided to move forward with it. Both O'Halloran and Anderson are signed on, and Jason Mewes, will return as stoner Jay, the "hetero life-mate" of Smith's stoic Silent Bob.

"I'm sure there will be naysayers who say, 'Oh my God, it's an opportunistic grab at a buck,' but it's not. We're doing it for nothing," Smith said. "We're going to do it insanely inexpensively. The budget will be somewhere between 250 grand and $5 million."

The original was shot pre-dawn, and most of the actors worked for free and then went straight to their day-jobs with little or no sleep.

"This time around we'll afford ourselves the luxury of nice 12-hour days," Smith said. "And people can get paid."
DVD Collection | Video Game Collection | Live Gamertag: vicodinjunkie

#2 of 205 OFFLINE   Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Lead Actor

• 9,070 posts

Posted August 27 2004 - 06:19 PM

Wow! I was always half hoping that a Clerks sequel was coming (Hardly Clerkin' Posted Image), and now it's announced.

I'm with Kevin, at least give it a shot.
In Heaven, everything is fine.
[ 2006 Films | 2005 Films | 2004 Films | 2003 Films | YMDB Top 20 ]
[ Star Wars | Sideshow | HT | DVDs | LDs | AIM: Maulrat87 ]

#3 of 205 OFFLINE   Ricardo C

Ricardo C

Producer

• 5,060 posts

Posted August 27 2004 - 07:09 PM

Great news! Posted Image And I'm just as excited about the return of Jay and Silent Bob as I am about the movie itself Posted Image Bring it on! Posted Image
Man, an hour wasted on this sig! Thanks, Toshiba! :P

#4 of 205 OFFLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,298 posts

Posted August 28 2004 - 01:04 AM

Bad move. Having tried to go down a different path with Jersey Girl returning to his previous material will put him back where he started. His fans will be pleased but the for the rest of us he is no longer of any significance. He is like the local bar band that can't make the break out into a bigger market.
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#5 of 205 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,249 posts

Posted August 28 2004 - 02:05 AM

Well, I'll be interested to see this. Haven't watched Jersey Girl yet - plan to screen it later today - but I do like his prior material (except the execrable Mallrats). It'll be fun to check out more Clerks but it also does seem like a regression and a disappointment in that regard. It'd be nice to see KS challenge himself more and not just fall back to the easy road...
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#6 of 205 OFFLINE   Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted August 28 2004 - 02:05 AM

I agree with Lou.

I have no doubt I will enjoy Clerks 2 very much but Kevin Smith seems to be kind of stuck in a rut. Wasn't "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" supposed to be the true end to the the series? I did enjoy Jersey Girl as a nice change though it was a bit more cookie-cutter than I had expected.

It seems like Kevin Smith will go down the Woody Allen path- dependably turning out relatively cheap comedies with very a core group of actors

#7 of 205 OFFLINE   Richard Travale

Richard Travale

Producer

• 3,423 posts
  • LocationThe Island, Canada

Posted August 28 2004 - 06:14 AM

Quote:
It seems like Kevin Smith will go down the Woody Allen path- dependably turning out relatively cheap comedies with very a core group of actors
That ain't a bad name to be grouped with.

I'll definitely see this but I'm not sure it will say any more than J&SBSB did. It sounds very much like KS is falling back to comfortable ground.

"Cock your hat - angles are attitudes. "
- Frank Sinatra 

#8 of 205 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted August 28 2004 - 06:57 AM

Quote:
Wasn't "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" supposed to be the true end to the the series?

It was, but then he told Jason Mewes if he got clean he'd do another Jay and Silent Bob movie.
My Collection

#9 of 205 OFFLINE   Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted August 28 2004 - 07:18 AM

That ain't a bad name to be grouped with.

True, but its not really ambitious either. Allen was hot stuff in the 70's but despite generally favorable reviews its been a long time since a Woody Allen film really got any kind of attention.

If Smith does nothing but continue to continue to revisit his earlier work I'm sure the product will be enjoyable but it really seemed like he was looking to set his sights higher after Chasing Amy and Dogma.

#10 of 205 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted August 28 2004 - 07:54 AM

But I can't say that Kevin Smith is a terribly ambitious filmmaker. He's a guy who has gone on record saying that he only directs films to make the stories he wants to make, usually about stuff he knows about. I mean, if he was truely ambitious, he'd be directing Green Hornet.

This may be a mistake, it may not be. Personally, I think it could be interesting to look at the life of a slacker into their thirties. What do you do when the people around you have careers, spouses, and kids? It could work.

Jason

#11 of 205 OFFLINE   Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Lead Actor

• 9,070 posts

Posted August 28 2004 - 08:12 AM

Quote:
But I can't say that Kevin Smith is a terribly ambitious filmmaker. He's a guy who has gone on record saying that he only directs films to make the stories he wants to make, usually about stuff he knows about.

Which is why I don't group him in with the world's greatest directors. But I still love his movies. If he wants to stay small and safe, I say go for it. Not everyone has to try something new with every film they make.
In Heaven, everything is fine.
[ 2006 Films | 2005 Films | 2004 Films | 2003 Films | YMDB Top 20 ]
[ Star Wars | Sideshow | HT | DVDs | LDs | AIM: Maulrat87 ]

#12 of 205 OFFLINE   Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted August 28 2004 - 09:00 AM

But I can't say that Kevin Smith is a terribly ambitious filmmaker.

At this stage I agree. I thought differently when Chasing Amy hit though. Chasing Amy started out as an almost straight up comedy but turned pretty serious in its second half. Following that up with a comedy not afraid to tackle some serious issues about the Catholic Church indicated to me that Smith had bigger things on his mind after Clerks and Mallrats. Since then he's made two (very enjoyable) softballs and looks to follow those with a third.

#13 of 205 OFFLINE   Marc Bax

Marc Bax

Second Unit

• 306 posts

Posted August 28 2004 - 09:12 AM

WOOHOOOO Thank God. Welcome back Jay & Silent Bob, I knew you wouldn't really leave. Forget the naysayers welcome back to what you do best. I wonder if Vincent P will be involved with this project?

#14 of 205 OFFLINE   Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor

• 976 posts

Posted August 28 2004 - 09:14 AM

Quote:
It was, but then he told Jason Mewes if he got clean he'd do another Jay and Silent Bob movie.

That, or he saw the grosses for the excerable Jersey Girl and realised where his bread was buttered.

#15 of 205 OFFLINE   Magnus T

Magnus T

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted August 28 2004 - 10:18 AM

I love "Clerks". I really do. It's probably my favorite indie film. Yet, I DESPISE the idea of a sequel. The first film ended beautifully. You really got the feeling that everything was going to be okay, at least for Dante, which the film was about. I guess Kevin Smith just can't get a break, yet when I says in the Dogma commentary that he thought some of the cast deserved academy award nominations I can't help but feel that it is somewhat deserved.

I don't know if this has been said before, but it should have; I think it's time for Kevin to retire as a director and focus on writing and let REAL director's direct his scripts. THEN, he will be able to catch a break.
There is no spoon...
but there is a fork with a cork!

#16 of 205 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,306 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted August 28 2004 - 03:51 PM

Quote:
I mean, if he was truely ambitious, he'd be directing Green Hornet.
This I agree with. "Clerks 2" is a safe play. Hopefully it isn't as slapstick as "J&SBSB" and plays to the slightly drier humor of the original. The characters hadn't evolved much at all between "Clerks" and "J&SBSB" so I don't see how he can realistically plot a big jump now.

#17 of 205 OFFLINE   Anthony_D

Anthony_D

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted August 29 2004 - 09:00 AM

I love Kevin SMith, but he needs to forget the "Jersey Trilogy" thing.

I thought he was done with that? I want to see him do some different stuff instead of pandering to his cult following. He's a great writer!!
He's dead now. He was a thief...and a terrorist. But on the other hand, he had a tremendous singing voice.

#18 of 205 OFFLINE   Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor

• 841 posts

Posted August 29 2004 - 01:35 PM

Quote:
Bad move. Having tried to go down a different path with Jersey Girl returning to his previous material will put him back where he started. His fans will be pleased but the for the rest of us he is no longer of any significance. He is like the local bar band that can't make the break out into a bigger market.

I agree ... as much as I love all those films, this really almost reeks of a lack of ideas and creativity. Give it up already and do something different. And please no more freaking Affleck Posted Image

#19 of 205 OFFLINE   RyanAn

RyanAn

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted August 29 2004 - 03:13 PM

A must see for me... I was heart-broken when I heard that that Strike Back was intended to be the last one in the series, I am so very glad it is not!

Ryan

#20 of 205 OFFLINE   Jean D

Jean D

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted August 30 2004 - 02:21 AM

I personally think Clerks was the most well written of all his movies, the dialoge was incredible. Jam packed with one liners, and some of my favorite characters (Randall)which werent even mentioned in any of Kevin Smiths other works. Like Olaf. Id like to know if "Berserker" became a hit in Moscow or not.

Some questions/concerns that come to mind:
Is The Passion of the Clerks going to be in Black and White?
I take it Dante didnt get killed in the end of Clerks.

I hope the script gets leaked to the net. I remember reading Dogma long before it went into production.

Gear: Crestron AADS, Crestron 4L, RTI T2C, SVS PC 16-46, Xbox 360, Wii, Bass Shakers, TiVo HD, Toshiba A3 HD-DVD, 42" Panasonic TH-42PWD8UK, two Denon AVR-2106's, Speaker Craft Aim 7 Five's, Samsung HD-950 DVD player.

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow