What's new

BENNY HILL SHOW: complete and unedited! (1 Viewer)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Didn't see this at TVShowsOnDVD yet, so thought I'd post it.
Apparently, A&E are going to be releasing the classic Thames "Benny Hill Show" COMPLETE and UNCUT in its original hour-long format, beginning with the first Thames episode from 1969!
Details here.
Deep Discount have this up for pre-order for under $25.
I worry, though, whenever A&E says anything is "complete" and unedited. They are, after all, the company that gave us "uncut" boxsets that contained edited episodes of "Monty Python's Flying Circus" and "Mr. Bean." (before anyone asks, I'm not referring to the "chair" scene from Mr. Bean that wasn't in the original transmission, but the missing "turkey/bathroom scale" scene that WAS).

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I am all over this one!! I only hope they continue to release the rest of the series over time. I have about 17 Benny Hill 'Best-ofs' on VHS that I'd gladly get rid of if all of the content within makes it to one of these sets. I agree that A&E's idea of "complete" is something left to be desired. I too was disappointed that the turkey/scale scene was cut from 'Merry Christmas Mr. Bean'.

On that note, I'll definitely get this! Thanks so much for the news.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
See, Gord...told ya' they'd be interested! :)
I'll get something up on this within 24 hours. It's actually been available for longer than I care to admit. We're just really behind on our news (among other things).

Steve_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Smith
This is great news :emoji_thumbsup: I've been waiting for more "classic" Benny Hill since the "Golden Classics" release. I've already got in on the great DDD price :)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Any Benny Hill fans know of an episode guide that will, er, flesh out these first 11 episodes?

I only want to get the one with the "Hot Gossamers" dance number on it... I'm not sure what season that was...

Update. Looks like it may be awhile, the dance number I remember wasn't until Season 10, March 1979...an episode guide I found explains that the Hill's Angels weren't a part of the show until then.

35. Show 34

gs: Patricia Hayes () Johnny Vyvyan () Sue Upton () Geraldine (musical guest)

Benny sings the appropriately-titled "Benny's Place." Also featured are a comic look at National Health, an evening of Leprechaun Television (including sport with Dickie O'Davis and Masterbrane), a high-speed look at married life with Hill and a gold-digging bride, a performance by Irish singer Geraldine, Hill's recitation of a poem that written on a typewriter with a faulty "H" key, "Hot Gossamer" and an adventure with elderly superheroine "Wondergran" who battles Count Dracula.

b: 14-Mar-1979 w: Benny Hill d: Dennis Kirkland

# NOTE: Patricia Hayes returns to the show for this guest appearance as a favour to Benny, who let her out of a contractual appearance in 1971 to star in "Edna, the Inebriate Woman", for which she won great acclaim. Dennis Kirkland become producer/director as of this episode and remains in that post through the end of the run. He previously served on the show as a Floor Manager and audience "warm-up" man.

# "Hot Gossamer" was a spoof of dance act "Hot Gossip" who appeared on another Thames series, the "Kenny Everett Video Show." In his "introduction" of the sketch, Henry McGee spoofs Everett himself."

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Great news, this has wide appeal as Benny Hill has wide appeal to lovers of good comedy old and new. His influence can be felt from the Simpsons to Conan O'Brien to Family Guy to Austin powers to Kevin Smith to....the list goes on. This is a very important release.

Rolando

Screenwriter
can someone confirm or deny what I believe is an "urban legend" around here.

I remember since highschool in the 80's-90's kids used to talk about how there were actually two Benny Hill shows. One that played during the day and one more "risque" at night with actual nudity and such.

I believe it is based on one episode where there is some female frontal nudity (something about an outdoor shower scene IIRC) and the story went that one episode had "slipped by" in the daytime slot.

Never saw another episode with female nudity that I can remember.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Not really two versions...not in the UK, anyway. My local station here in the US used to show more risque versions later at night as well, but I'd always assumed the station had done that on its own. Perhaps the syndicated episodes were flagged by the distributor in such a way that local stations could decide if/when to air a particular episode.

I've never seen original full-length Benny Hill episodes*, so I'm rather tempted by this set!

*"episodes" is misleading because there was never a Benny Hill "TV series", but rather a large number of specials.

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
Patricia Hayes --

I actually saw "Edna The Inebriated Woman", It was an amazing performance. And deserving of the accolades.

Benny Hill was a true comic genius, one of only a few in the recent history that is TV.

I'll pick this up.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I believe it is based on one episode where there is some female frontal nudity (something about an outdoor shower scene IIRC) and the story went that one episode had "slipped by" in the daytime slot.
There is one Benny Hill Show where you get frontal topless nudity and bare bottoms: it is the "Down Under" special produced for Australian television and the sketch you're referring to is about "famous outlaw" Benny Kelly (a so-called relative of Australian outlaw Ned Kelly), who is beating a rug while watching three girls shower, and when they drop their towels, his "beating" gets ever more energetic! This special, incidentally, was later screened in the UK and the sketch was released on one of HBO/Thorn-EMI's "Best of the Benny Hill Show" videos in the '80s (and the video was probably later reissued under another title). I'm not aware of this sketch ever being shown in the syndicated version, but I won't dispute the possibility.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I remember since highschool in the 80's-90's kids used to talk about how there were actually two Benny Hill shows. One that played during the day and one more "risque" at night with actual nudity and such.
I remember one episode in syndication that showed, in a film segment, an establishing shot, a topless woman diving into a pool. Just a very brief shot. I remember being quite surprised by it.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I remember one episode in syndication that showed, in a film segment, an establishing shot, a topless woman diving into a pool. Just a very brief shot. I remember being quite surprised by it.
That is from the show about "Budget Holidays" (show #46, 16 March 1983). It looks almost like "stock" footage and is meant to be representative of an exotic locale. It is, though, much briefer than the "Ned Kelly" stuff mentioned further up this thread.

At the end of the sketch, you get a "from the back" shot of two of Hill's Angels standing up in front of Benny (they've been topless sunbathing) and in the shot, you can briefly get a side view of Lorraine Doyle's breasts (including nipple). This bit of the scene was definitely edited out when the shows ran on Comedy Central.

Later in the same episode, we have a high-speed look at Hill as a schoolboy who takes his slingshot into a "peep" show, with Doyle again, wearing only a G-string (her buns are visibile to the camera for quite a time), and only a large balloon covering her breasts.

Apart from these few episodes, though, you don't get any real nudity in Benny's shows, mainly just "bras and suspenders".

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Looks like you found one of my TV Tome episode guides! I've been putting up details from my unedited VHSes from Australlian TV channel UK-TV.
Yes indeed, and most informative they are.

Now if only they'd release a "best of the Hill's Angels" dances and shot-on-film fast-motion skits. The show was good IMO except for the bits when Benny would sing a song or tell a "funny" story or whatnot. Everyone I knew watched it for the angels, and considered Hill's face-time to be just filler there to excuse the naughty parts!

Of course I give him more credit now that I am older, but, I still want to see what I remember liking most...

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
That is from the show about "Budget Holidays" (show #46, 16 March 1983). It looks almost like "stock" footage and is meant to be representative of an exotic locale. It is, though, much briefer than the "Ned Kelly" stuff mentioned further up this thread.
Wow, Andy. Thanks!! You sure know your Benny Hill!!!

Mark Lx

Second Unit
I got this yesterday. Looks great. I hadn't seen the documentary (52 min.) before. The quiz is fun, it runs sight gags depending on whether you get the question right or not. You hardly notice the difference on the 3 B&W episodes, but there's probably a lot of stuff that's rarely been rerun in North America.

It's not a bad deal considering it's an A&E/English show. Maybe that's a sign of a new trend in competitive pricing.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
You hardly notice the difference on the 3 B&W episodes, but there's probably a lot of stuff that's rarely been rerun in North America.
Well, although those three episodes have never been shown in the US (and were never repeated in the UK, although they have, despite one review of this set, been shown elsewhere, as recently as this year in Australia), most of the sketches in these episodes were re-done on later, colour specials. "Lower Tidmarsh Fire Brigade", "Undercover Sanitary Inspector", the "Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice" spoof and the one where Hill's pretending to be a foreigner having trouble with his English ("learning all ze time") were all re-shot in colour a few years later.
Although Hill has often recycled a few odd jokes or sight gags, it's most likely he re-did these sketches because Thames told him they would not be repeating the B/W episodes again, much to his dismay, as he commented that they had some really good material in them. Thinking they B/W versions would never be seen again, he just re-did them to make sure the material was out there.

stephen la

Stunt Coordinator
can someone explain to me the Hills Angels?

I dont seem to remember them. what type of dancers

were they? did they dance nude? any pics someone can link me too?

is that austrailian bit available dvd yet.. there are several titles that are already out on dvd from other companies. here's whats out according to dvd price search

Benny Hill's World Tour: New York Comedy Image

Benny Hill: Complete and Unadulterated: The Naughty Early Years: Set 1 Comedy A & E

Benny Hill: Golden Classics TV Classics HBO

Benny Hill: Golden Greats TV Classics HBO

Best Of Benny Hill TV Classics Anchor Bay

Christmas TV Episodes: Beverly Hillbillies / Jack Benny / Ozzie And Harriet

Randy Gray

Stunt Coordinator
Which episodes contain the skits where he would read a poem but two letters were switched? Those were my favorite routines.

Randy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks