What's new

The usual new constuction questions... (1 Viewer)

David Cotton

Auditioning
Hello all, new member here. Just wanted to say I am glad I found this place before I really start into my HT build. I have some questions and hope to get some answers from you seasoned guru's out there. I hope you don't mind me re-asking questions that I am sure have been asked thousands of times before. I will have to say I have learned many things from the "Wish I had done this" post...

Fist off, we are having a home built.. It is not a custom home, so changes are expensive and not readily available. On top of that, as with most folks, my funds are very limited...

The room in question is on the first floor of a two story house and has two outside walls. It is approx. 11.5'X16' The ceilings are 10' so there is at least some room to work with. Is this room too small to really make it worth the investment to turn into a HT room?

So far I have the following being done during construction...

1. IG outlets everywhere.
2. Cable, network and power outlets in the ceiling where I hope one day to have a projector.
3. Prewire for 7.1

Due to limited funds I may have to settle for normal construction then add the rest later. I am going to see if I can slip the contractors a few extra bucks to have blown insulation put in the walls and ceiling of this room as well as having the room double sheet-rocked. I know this is far from the best sound isolation plan but I plan eventually to paint or heavy fabric the walls to help. Double studs are out of the question due to price and it not being an option at build time.

I am still a little confused at some of the extras that some people have run and I am also hoping I can get some guidance with respect to speaker placement.

One other post mentioned ceiling height inside the tray and below the tray. Do I assume we are talking a cable tray to be used so pulling wires through walls is not necessary? This could be accomplished with a small wooden shelf running around the room finished off with some moulding of some sort to make it look nice?

Also, I am a bit stumped as to using conduit to run cables. I definitely undertand the concept being a cumputer guy by trade, but where would one hide the conduit? I have read posts pertaining to running conduit right up to the seating area for delivery of gaming accessories and remote control cables etc. Do I assume that this situation requires a raised floor throughout the entire room and not just an elevated stage area?

Anyway here is a link to the floor plan http://www.ryland.com/home_search/e_...3,34941,385501

The HT room is what is shown as the living room on the plan, but if you click the study option on the bottom right you can see what it will look like with the optional doors.

Thanks for reading this far and I am eagerly awaiting any replies with suggestions, speaker placement options etc.

Please feel free to PM me or email me directly at [email protected] (work) or [email protected] (home)

Thanks again.

David

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
David,

Welcome to the Forum!

There’s really no reason not to utilize an 11’ x 16’ room for your home theater. I always say "any surround sound is better than no surround sound." :)

Nevertheless it’s good that you’re making inquiries now about how to get to most from it. To start:
If those things are part of your requirements, then yes, that’s one way to do it. Given the size of your room, you could also make the runs in-wall.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
wayne that second link doesnt go anywere.
i'm interested inseeing what it was, if it was important.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
almost. there is still a " [url "

at the end of that.

but seeing what it intended to point to thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks