What's new

Has "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, World" quietly gone out of print? (1 Viewer)

John S

Senior HTF Member
Man, I am glad I got mine if so. I'm not sure exactly which version I have, but the transfer is really quite remarkable for the area the film was made in. Looks Grata Es, scaled to 1080i. Which if I remember my Latin at all, means really pleasing. lol

BillGo

Stunt Coordinator
I recently saw It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World on display at my local Ralphs supermarket With a group of other MGM DVDs. It's the same version I own which came out last year. I believe it was only $10.

Catalog no. 1002380, extended roadshow version (2 hrs 41 min), DD 5.1, 16x9. It's a two-sided disc with the movie on one side and the extras on the other side. No insert.

It's also available on Best Buy's website for $12.99

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The 2 hr. 21 min version is NOT the extended roadshow version. The DVD is supposedly an excellent representation of the general release cut (other than the omission of the overture, re-coloring the opening credits, and adding the MGM logo to the start).

As for being deluxe... it's still mediocre due to lack of a restored version for the roadshow cut. The documentary is from the old laserdisc edition (and even the original VHS). The "deleted scenes" were from the extended laserdisc (many of which don't even belong in the final roadshow cut).

PaulBigelow

Stunt Coordinator
I thought this movie was a big seller for MGM. If so, deleting it from the catalog doesn't make sense unless something else is in the works.

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
Man, I lent this one out and it NEVER came back.

The question is now, do I try to track down this bum who has it, try to snap up a copy before they're gone or wait and see if a real special edition with the roadshow comes along?

Greg_M

Screenwriter
According to Robert Harris there are no plans to restore the film to it's roadshow lenght - which would take some time. So it is doubtful MGM will release a Special edition any time soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks