What's new

Just about to buy a minivan... (1 Viewer)

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Actually I should get it in a couple of days maybe a week. Supposedly I can get it in a colour they didn't know they had. Its a 2004 Nissan Quest 3.5s in Majestic blue on tan interior. I traded my 2000 maxima on it. Overall I'm happy but still I'm 23 and I own a minivan:crazy: Feel a little old right now.

Actually our main reason for buying is for my work. I will actually be able to fit ladders and tools in it. at least much easier than getting a six foot ladder in my Maxima:emoji_thumbsup:

Anyone else hear drive one?

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
My wife has a 2000 Toyota Sienna. We bought it certified used 3 years ago. Not a single problem with it yet.

I can get easily car sick so I was the test subject for which van we would purchase by riding in the very back. Of all the vans we test drove the Toyota road and handled the best with the Honda coming in dead last, (we were unable to test drive a Nissan). The Honda had the worst ride I have ever experienced. The rear suspension was like being in one of those inflatable jumpers you rent for B-day parties.

Congrats on the purchase!

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I'm sure the Ferrari isn't like an inflatable jumper. You see, it's the bouncing.
Bouncing =

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Ron,
I looked at the sienna as well and liked it quite a bit the dealer just didn't offer us enough on our Maxima. The nissan dealer was a little better at the number crunching.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Understandable Shawn. We were fortunate enough that the head of the financing dept at the Toyota of Huntington Beach is my parents next door neighbor. He gave us a deal no one could have beat.

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
No prob but I didn't get them skylights as the price quickly goes sky high(pun police where are you). I got the base model. Still comes with heated seats/mirrors power windows, locks, tire pressure monitor trip gauge and key fob and climate control and rear heat/air. all standard. But no power seats:frowning: not that big of a problem as my fiancee and I sit pretty much the same) and the stereo I have to say is not the greatest. The 3.5SL adds quite a bit of extra features but adds the price up $4000 too.

I didn't like the amber dash lights and prefer the blue lights the toyota has but it seems like a loosing battle on that. All my HT gear has'em now too:thumbsdown: Now who wants to race..lol

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
We bought a Black 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT a couple months ago.

Absolutely love it. It's loaded. The kids love the rear DVD system and I love the GPS Navigation system.

It's our second minivan. The other was a 1997 Dodge Grand Caravan.

I don't know why people knock minivans so much. I find they are much more practical for hauling a combo of people and cargo than any other vehicle.

ClintS

Stunt Coordinator
Count my wife and I as satisfied minivan drivers, we were both under 30 and bought a Honda Odyssey. Its the most practical vehicle for us with 3 kids and the stuff you can haul is amazing. We wont hesitate a second to trade it in for another one. We just dont see the value of a SUV bad gas mileage, higher purchase cost, and higher insurance.

Oh and I like the look of the new Nissan but I will not buy another vehicle from that company after failing to help me with a failed A/C compressor on my Maxima at 37,000 miles. Long story short but I had called in for service prior to 36k and they had no appointements and said "Dont worry about the mileage", uh yea right. I was happy when that car was totaled due to lady running a red light and turning in front of me. Nothing but Hondas/Acuras since then.:)

Anywas congrats on the new van Im sure you will like it.

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
We were first gonna buy a cheap used van for myself but didn't want the hassle of repairs for two vehicles and two insurances. Its about $150 more a month(for brand new) than what we pay now but thats about $40/week in spending to curb. I'm supposed to move a queen sized bed Sunday but want a wait till next week to try my new minivan out:emoji_thumbsup:

Clint,
that was more of a "prick move" from your dealer than Nissan but it would stop me from buying a brand or vehicle.

Bryan,
is that the one with stow and go seating?

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Shawn,

Yeah, the 2005 Grand Caravan SXT we bought has the stow and go seating (I believe it's standard on the '05 Grand Caravan line, but not the shorter '05 Caravan). It's really convenient for both back rows to fold away under the floor.

If you're like me, sometimes you go out shopping not expecting to buy something large, but end up getting something big. No more going home to dump the seats and making a trip back to the store.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member

According to a recent Car & Driver write-up on minivans ethey were suprised that the brand-new 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan got a whopping 17mpg w/ the AC and hauling 7 people. So don't count your fuel savings before they happen (Hybrid owners know about this phenomenon all too well).

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

Hmmmmm. That's not my real world experience. I've got a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan and with four passengers and the back fully loaded luggage (I'd say the equivalent of their 7 passengers), while running AC, I get 26mpg on the highway and 21mpg mixed driving.

Heck, even strictly driving in the city I get better than 17mpg.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Just reporting what i read..... :)

Ipersonally have a '96 mitsubishi mirage because I bought it used for $3500. It gets better mileage than the Ford E150 econoline van at work, but worse than my '03 Vulcan 800 bike.

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
I'm about 24mpg with my car. about 30mpg highway. I figure close to around that would be ideal. I'll be driving a big 7 passenger van I really don't expect it to sip gas;) The Nissan also has 2nd and 3rd row folding seats just not as well desinged as dodge/chrysler's which fold flatter, but, it is standard in the Nissan.

Anyone else notice that they group the features so you get all the ones you want except one. Then if you want one extra feature you have to buy a whole package, but you can't get that package unless you buy some other package first:angry: Cable companies do it too with programming.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I get about 30 mpg on the hwy and 25 in the city with my Chevy Venture. I agree with those that say the modern mini vans are very practical and really my van has way more power then the Ford Contour it replaced, gets similar gas milage, has way more storeage space and should be better in winter given its higher clearance.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
I don't know how I would have moved my son's into college without our 2001 Windstar. Filled it up with a fridge, 20in Panny Tau TV,the TV stand, microwave, 2 large boxes (20in TV size), suitcases,a large desk chair, a couple cases of soda and other assorted stuff, including a hand truck that converts to a cart (very, very handy). With all that still had room for 3 people. Removed the 3rd seat and one of the rear captains chairs.

It really is incredible what you can stuff into them. They aren't a fun vehicle to drive day on day (great for long trips) but as was said earlier for hauling people and things comfortably and reasonably efficiently, they really can't be beat.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
We r now in need of a third vehicle with the following requirements:
a) able to haul cargo, at least can fit a 4'x8' plywood.
b) able to transport confortably 7 people and corresponding
luggage
c) must be all wheel drive for better winter driving

The Dodge Grand Caravan meets these and r just on a holding pattern for one of those "deals".

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Eric,

If you arm yourself with the proper info, you can get yourself one of those 'deals' anytime.

I used info from Consumer Reports Auto Website (pay service) and was able to buy my 2005 Grand Caravan SXT for well under invoice. And the 2005's had only been out for a month or so. I didn't buy off the lot either, but had it factory ordered.

So with the right information, you can get yourself a good deal anytime.

As far as the All Wheel Drive, you won't be getting a new 2005 Grand Caravan with that. Because of the new Stow & Go Seating, they don't have a AWD option on those anymore. Maybe they'll figure it out for the 2006 model. The SXT I bought did come standard with Traction Control (I know that's nothing close to AWD, but it's better than nothing).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks