Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Dark Skies?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 of 33 OFFLINE   Robert Floto

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted August 26 2004 - 10:31 AM

There was a series on NBC some years back that I really liked. Does anyone else remember Dark Skies...?

It starred Eric Close and J.T. Walsh, and a pre-Star Trek Jeri Ryan. I thought it did a really interesting merging of alien invasion and JFK conspiracy theories.

I believe it was only one season...though that one season spanned pretty much all of the 1960's...

I'd probably pick this up if it was released on DVD.
Movies I would purchase instantly if they were available in their correct aspect ratio:
Death Trap, Innocent Blood, The Shadow, and Remo Williams

#2 of 33 OFFLINE   Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted August 26 2004 - 10:51 AM

It was a good show, but I wonder if it was popular enough to sell on DVD. I don't know anyone else that watched the show when it was on TV.

Gord
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#3 of 33 OFFLINE   streeter

streeter

Screenwriter

• 1,391 posts

Posted August 26 2004 - 12:04 PM

I watched this religiously for the short time it was on, but I doubt that there are many others who still remember it.
Nothing Lost Forever: The Films of Tom Schiller
"I'll tell you why... 'cause I'm a dancer."

home page / dvds

#4 of 33 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted August 26 2004 - 12:38 PM

I remember this too.....I have the episodes on tape somewhere. Shame that it didn't last but not really surprising considering that there was already another show out at the time dealing with alien conspiracies.Posted Image
Recently watched- Die Hard 2: Die Harder, Die Hard, Up 3D, The Grandmaster, Edge Of Tomorrow 3D, The Comedy Of Terrors, The Raven(1963), Mulholland Falls, Saturn 3, Cheers: Season 6, Nosferatu: The Vampyre, Battle Beyond The Stars, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers(1978), Ransom, Dragonheart, Tomb Of Ligeia

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 1

"Now I have a machinegun.  HO-HO-HO"

#5 of 33 OFFLINE   Ed_City

Ed_City

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted August 26 2004 - 03:34 PM

This is the kind of show I can see being released when all the big lakes have been drained.

FWIW, X-FILES even did a really bad rip-off of DARK SKIES in an episode called "Travellers".

#6 of 33 OFFLINE   David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter

• 1,435 posts

Posted August 26 2004 - 03:54 PM

I watched Dark Skies. I saw every single episode. Starz! or Encore showed the pilot episode 2-3 months ago and I taped it. I do know Dark Skies was listed as one of the choices on Sony Pictures lastest TV on DVD poll.
ENTERLINE MEDIA (entertainment articles and DVD/Movie/TV show reviews)

#7 of 33 OFFLINE   derek

derek

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted August 27 2004 - 02:15 AM

Loved Dark Skies. The settings in the past gave it a nostalgic B-movie feel and thoroughly enjoyed how they tied real history into the alien activity. Would love to see it on DVD.

#8 of 33 OFFLINE   Tory

Tory

Screenwriter

• 1,321 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted August 27 2004 - 05:26 AM

I liked it but if I remember right it had a cast change halfway through that I didn't like so much. Still I would buy it on DVD. Dark Skies aired with Pretender and Profiler and a few years later the timeslot hosted a series I liked more called The Others. While I would like Dark Skies on DVD I would prefer The Others.
Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

#9 of 33 OFFLINE   Robert Floto

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted August 27 2004 - 10:21 AM

Quote:
I liked it but if I remember right it had a cast change halfway through that I didn't like so much.

Hmmm. I don't recall that. I remember Jeri Ryan being added, but other than that I think the original cast remained.
Movies I would purchase instantly if they were available in their correct aspect ratio:

#10 of 33 OFFLINE   Deb Walsh

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted August 28 2004 - 05:32 AM

Megan Ward kind of dropped out halfway through, and her character became taken over by the Hive and she joined the enemy - she was trying to recover her son when she decided to embrace her inner alien. Ryan's Juliet then became the primary female lead. I read that Megan Ward and Eric Close didn't get on too well, and that may have been the reason for the cast shift.

The show had potential, and they did a couple of really outstanding episodes. But sometimes I felt they got caught up in themselves. The creator had a five year plan, I kind of remember, and had hopes of a long run to bring the series into the present day. The viewing public didn't agree, though, and the show was cancelled before all the episodes had been shot. The finale was, IMHO, one of the worst final episodes I'd ever seen. Still, I recorded every episode when it aired on NBC, and I'd buy it on DVD. I loved J. T. Walsh on this series, and it would be worth it for me to have for his performances alone.
Deb Walsh (debwalsh@aol.com)
http://www.debwalsh.com/press/

#11 of 33 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted August 28 2004 - 08:27 AM

Ed_City wrote (post #5):

Quote:
FWIW, X-FILES even did a really bad rip-off of DARK SKIES in an episode called "Travellers".

"Rip-off"?!? Surely, that episode was intended as "homage" to the producers of Dark Skies, thanking them for being so---[ahem!]---"inspired" by the Fox series.

I, too, watched Dark Skies all the way through to its bitter, but predictable, end: cancellation. And "to each his own", as they say. It was as depressing and cynically imbued a piece of . . . [ummm]. . . television . . . as I've ever seen. "Tying real history into the alien activity" reduced major national tragedies---political assassinations and the like---to convenient Hollywood revisionism. ("The fault lies not in ourselves, but in our stars"?) I thought it shabby when The X-Files producers did it ("Musings of a Cigarette-Smoking Man", etc.) and even worse here, since these producers built a whole show on this wretched premise.

But enjoy.

Deb Walsh wrote (post #10):

Quote:
The finale was, IMHO, one of the worst final episodes I'd ever seen.

The "wrap-up" of the story in the final episode was due to the producers' lack of funds to finish off the series the "proper" way, as I remember reading it.

"Delenda est . . . . "

#12 of 33 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,841 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted August 28 2004 - 03:30 PM

Yep, remember it. Out of the three series that made up the NBC Saturday Night Thrillogy (Dark Skies, Pretender and Profiler) only one (Profiler) has made it to DVD. Dark Skies would be another great one shot release (even barebones) for NBC/Universal. Couple that with Earth 2 and Captain Power (and maybe the first volume of seaQuest)...

#13 of 33 OFFLINE   Robert Floto

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted August 31 2004 - 04:46 AM

Deb,

I had thought that even though Megan Ward's character arc went in a different direction, she still appeared in each episode.

Am I wrong?

#14 of 33 OFFLINE   john_hood

john_hood

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted September 01 2004 - 04:05 AM

For all its faults I loved the series. When it aired in the UK I had recently graduated from University and had started working for a well known media company who were likened to Majestic 12!
A Star Trek convention? You could have told her it was the X-Men!
Online since 2001

#15 of 33 OFFLINE   ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,504 posts

Posted October 02 2005 - 01:30 PM

I remember this series. I haven't been watching NBC's latest sci-fi series "Surface". I still have bad memories with NBC over the cancellation of "Quantum Leap", the constant cast changes on "SeaQuest DSV", and "Dark Skies" (especially that ending). Conor O'Farrell was on this show (he did an excellent job on "From the Earth to the Moon", which was recently re-released). He also guest starred on "Early Edition". I always liked that actor. I'm surprised this is not out yet given both Eric Close and Jeri Ryan (who I felt did a excellent job on this show IMHO) were in it. And then there is the late J.T. Walsh.

#16 of 33 OFFLINE   John*D

John*D

Second Unit

• 492 posts

Posted October 03 2005 - 05:00 AM

I would buy this if released on DVD. Use to watch it when it was originally on NBC!

Would also like to see CBS's Now & Again get released...

#17 of 33 OFFLINE   Matt Goddard

Matt Goddard

Stunt Coordinator

• 174 posts

Posted October 03 2005 - 08:44 AM

Did anybody ever figure out what the show's creator had in mind for the next four seasons, ie when it reached the present? IIRC, the show would have hit its five years in 2000.

#18 of 33 OFFLINE   Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 06:26 AM

I would also consider buying this DVD. I remember watching the seriues when it aired but I believe it lasted for only once season with a strange cliffhanger that was never resolved. Matter of fact, I recall the girlfriend that was kidnapped by the aliens and he was trying to get her back.

They really need to release this as a classic sci fi series.Posted Image

#19 of 33 OFFLINE   John L

John L

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted August 01 2008 - 06:59 PM

Is there any chance this great short-lived series will make it to DVD ?

#20 of 33 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted August 02 2008 - 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John L
Is there any chance this great short-lived series will make it to DVD ?

This one is one of the few post-80's shows that I'd get on DVD if it becomes available. There were rumors about it coming a couple of years ago but the online talk about it disappeared.

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow