-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Robert Altman's Short Cuts: Criterion Collection

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

#1 of 52 Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted August 26 2004 - 07:49 AM

Finally!

For November:

Posted Image

Quote:
DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES:

New high-definition digital transfer, with restored image and sound, and enhanced for widescreen televisions, supervised by editor Geraldine Peroni and approved by director Robert Altman

New Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack

Isolated music track

Reflections on Short Cuts, a new 25-minute videotaped conversation with Robert Altman and Tim Robbins

Luck, Trust, and Ketchup: Robert Altman in Carver Country, a 90-minute documentary on the making of Short Cuts

Segment from BBC television’s Moving Pictures tracing the development of Raymond Carver’s short story “Jerry and Molly and Sam” for the film

A 50-minute audio interview with Raymond Carver

Deleted scenes

A look inside the marketing of Short Cuts, featuring trailers and more than sixty print advertising campaigns

English subtitles for the deaf and hearing-impaired

Optimal image quality: RSDL dual-layer edition

Special reprint of Short Cuts, the Vintage Books companion collection of Raymond Carver short stories

An essay by film critic Michael Wilmington and a guide to the music

More!

#2 of 52 Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted August 26 2004 - 08:10 AM

Agh! Yes! Finally!

Great news. Thanks, Marc. Posted Image Posted Image

#3 of 52 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted August 26 2004 - 08:17 AM

Kick Ass!!

Star Wars can kiss my ass!! I can finally retire another LD.

Is there a relase date?

#4 of 52 PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted August 26 2004 - 08:57 AM

Quote:
Is there a relase date?

November.

#5 of 52 Mark_TS

Mark_TS

Screenwriter

• 1,700 posts

Posted August 26 2004 - 09:08 AM

>>Star Wars can kiss my ass!!
---

My sentiments exactly!
The Official HTF 'elitist' lol....
"War is God's way of teaching Americans Geography"-Ambrose Bierce

#6 of 52 Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor

• 902 posts

Posted August 26 2004 - 09:36 AM

Yay!

The cover looks a lot like the Love Actually menu:
Posted Image

#7 of 52 John Lloyd

John Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator

• 239 posts

Posted August 26 2004 - 09:42 AM

This is more great news for me. I think I can actually put aside my laser disc conversion project and wait for the last few crucial titles to come out on DVD.

#8 of 52 Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann

Producer

• 3,515 posts

Posted August 26 2004 - 09:55 AM

Terrific news! I remember back in 2000-2001 that a Short Cuts DVD was in production, but it seems this time it may actually happen!

Quote:
The cover looks a lot like the Love Actually menu
Actually the art work for Love Actually borrowed the same theme from the original art work for Short Cuts:

Posted Image Posted Image
(click red box if image doesn't load)

Of course this made sense as just about everything regarding Love Actually was obviously inspired by the works of Robert Altman - especially Short Cuts.

#9 of 52 Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S

Producer

• 4,404 posts

Posted August 26 2004 - 10:19 AM

I'd really love to see this film again! Posted Image This film has the special distinction to this day of being the film my sister always uses as an example of one she hates for being stupid and boring! I, of course, thought it was fantastic. It still brings tears to my eyes when I remember Andie McDowell saying:

There aren't going to be any more birthdays!

What a heartbreaking scene.

#10 of 52 Joshua_W

Joshua_W

Second Unit

• 477 posts

Posted August 26 2004 - 11:11 AM

YYYYYYYEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#11 of 52 Runar_R

Runar_R

Second Unit

• 259 posts

Posted August 26 2004 - 11:14 AM

Quote:
Star Wars can kiss my ass!! I can finally retire another LD.

You might want to hang on to that LD. There's no commentary-track listed. Odd..... Altman seems to enjoy doing them.
"These are the moments I live for.
I put up with all the other crap just to get seconds like this.
The moments when you know the world is a better place than advertised."
-Planetary, Warren Ellis

#12 of 52 SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted August 26 2004 - 03:01 PM

Posted Image Posted Image

#13 of 52 Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted August 26 2004 - 04:01 PM

and i thought i was coming in here to tell marc that "maybe he should consider putting question marks on thread titles, to avoid us getting excited for no reason" Posted Image i cant wait for this one, should be great.

CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#14 of 52 ChristopherBlig

ChristopherBlig

Stunt Coordinator

• 205 posts

Posted August 26 2004 - 05:41 PM

Quote:
You might want to hang on to that LD. There's no commentary-track listed. Odd..... Altman seems to enjoy doing them

Don't forget at the end it said, "MORE!"

with the anticipated ones recorded on Tanner '88 and Secret Honor and the sterling one he did on 3 Women, I can't see why not.

"RUN AWAY!!!! RUN AWAY!!!!"
(Monty Python and the Holy Grail)

My DVD Collection
My DVD Collection Too The 29 Days of Oscar are at dvdauthority.com...thanks again to all

#15 of 52 Marko Berg

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor

• 856 posts

Posted August 26 2004 - 07:15 PM

In my initial excitement I didn't even notice a director's commentary track wasn't listed. Although it would be nice if they could recycle the LD commentary, I have to say the list of extras announced so far is looking very very good. So many interesting features are listed there. (The only thing I personally might not be interested in is the advertising print materials, but if you're going to include the trailers, expanding the section on advertising materials makes sense if there is source material available. I'm sure collectors will be happy.)

It's been a long time since I saw this film, and I'll be more than happy to add a Criterion edition to my collection.

#16 of 52 Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter

• 1,568 posts

Posted August 26 2004 - 10:43 PM

I'm not really sure it needs an Altman commentary. On the 3 Women track he already went into his theories and methods as a filmmaker quite admirably, I thought. Any anecdotes or working methods will, I'm sure, be covered in the new video interview with Tim Robbins or the 90-minute on-set documentary.

What is disappointing is that at this stage two audio discussions of the film by Michael Wilmington and Pauline Kael recorded for the LD appear to have been dropped for the DVD. These weren't screen-specific pieces that were only about an hour long each and discussed the film in more general terms (as far as I'm aware, Wilmington loved it, while Kael felt the movie was a disappointment), but were full of insight and food for thought on this highly complex film.

I can't believe Criterion would be so foolish as to veto the inclusion of Pauline Kael's only (sort-of) commentary. They don't need to be played alongside the film, and if they were included on the second disc, they'd take up less than the equivalent of four minutes of video (if they were encoded as mono tracks).

#17 of 52 Paul Strilka

Paul Strilka

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted August 26 2004 - 11:47 PM

The commentary controversy keeps my laser version alive- at least until the dust settles. I'm glad to get the DVD- (no side flips,) But I do tend to sigh a bit of sadness as I lose another prized Laser off my shelve. (Short cuts was $$ and my wife gave me heck for buying it)
I just dumped several Scorsese lasers and soon "Ed Wood".
With that said, what's worse is when the new, replacement DVD contains just about everything, but not quite. (some Spielberg discs come to mind)
Being forced to hold onto the laser for a few deleted scenes, a commentary, or an extra hour of the documentary is a drag. A special edition spread across two formats feels untidy.

So, please criterion, give us "The Player" with the works!

#18 of 52 Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted August 27 2004 - 12:00 AM

Quote:
I can't believe Criterion would be so foolish as to veto the inclusion of Pauline Kael's only (sort-of) commentary.

Maybe it was Altman who didn't want it included, since it was a more negative view of the film.

#19 of 52 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted August 27 2004 - 12:04 AM

Are you guys sure that there was an Altman commentary on the LD? I'd swear that there isn't one, but if they drop the Wilmington & Kael audio tracks, I would be greatly disappointed.

#20 of 52 JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted August 27 2004 - 12:32 AM

Did anyone have any idea Criterion was doing this? They really kept it quiet.

Great news Posted Image

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow