Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Amp or better speakers?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   BrianRS

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted August 25 2004 - 01:59 PM

I have HTD level III towers, center, and level III mains for surrounds, all powered by a Denon 3802. It sounds pretty good to me, but always looking to improve. Would it be more worthwhile to buy amps or better speakers? Is there anywhere that I could listen to the difference between speakers driven by one receiver vs. seperate amps (live in N. Va)? Thanks for the input!

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Ben Mecham

Ben Mecham

• 25 posts

Posted August 25 2004 - 07:32 PM

Sounds like you have a pretty good setup - the only thing I see missing is a sub. My buddy just got his SVS 20-39 PC+ and WOW it is awesome! Even when you have nice tower fronts which seem like they have plenty of bass for you, it just doesn't compare to the lower octaves that a good sub brings in. You don't only hear your music and movies, you FEEL them too. Dollar for dollar, I would say that is a much better upgrade that you will notice than switching to separates, IMHO.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   BrianRS

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted August 27 2004 - 12:31 AM

Forgot to mention that. I have a little sub in the corner too (pb2+).:wink:

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor

• 792 posts

Posted August 27 2004 - 01:59 AM

From where you are, the weak link in what you hear is most likely your room. The most fruitful path to improvement would involve room treatments and/or sub equalization (BFD).

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   JamesCB

Second Unit

• 440 posts

Posted August 27 2004 - 03:12 AM

Good point, Brian. The room acoustics is overlooked WAY too often. IMO, it is critical to have some consideration to the acoustic control of the room. Even $100,000.00 systems can sound horrible in a poorly treated room. And don't dismiss the ceiling. Adding a absorptive panel at the first reflection point made one of the biggest (next to side wall reflections) improvements in my room. James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users