What's new

Some device that converts DVD PAL into NTSC? which? (1 Viewer)

_PaVeL_

Auditioning
Hello. I am looking a device that converts the movies: DVD PAL's into DVDs NTSC format.

Which marks exist, how much they cost, and which is the best? Thank you very much. I need it because my dad brought a DVD of Europe and we it cannot see here.

thx

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I think the easiest solution is an all-region PAL>NTSC converting DVD player. The best bargain I've seen for a very good such player is the Toshiba SD-4900, which can be found for $65-100. You can access the region-defeating and PAL converting submenus via the remote, or you can flash the firmware with a downloaded program you record to CD-R. If you're lucky, you might get one that's permanently region-free/converting out of the box (especially if you buy a B-stock/refurb model).

Everyone should have one in their system. For a relatively small amount of money, you suddenly have a universe of DVDs to choose from.

Jay Blair

Second Unit
A bettter DVD player solution for converting PAL to NTSC is the Yamakawa 288K/VGA, which produces a much better image than the Toshiba SD4900 (I own both and have compared). You can get them at either www.YamakawaDVD.com or www.ecost.com (search for Yamakawa). Cost is under $60 at either place. They are well-built for the money and have lots of user settings to control the sound and video quality. They are also easily made region-free.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
www.videohelp.com has lists of players and hacks for multi-region capabilities. I picked up a Cyberhome CH-DVD300 for $40 which works well. I originally used (and still do) a Hollywood Plus card in the PC for this purpose.

SvenS

Second Unit
The best one BY FAR I have encountered is the Philips DVD727! It excels at almost all activities and is one of the rare DVD players that can convert (PAL to NTSC)Anamorphic DVDs correctly (aspect ratio). It also plays video files just burnt to CD's r DVD's abd offers a menu to slect which ones as well.

You can find these players online for around $60.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Bottom line: no one should be without one of these machines. Hey, they cost less than many of your weekly DVD budgets!

John S

Senior HTF Member
I might add, that I recently watched "Little Sister" PAL, not region 1 DVD on my Zenith DVB-318, the region thing was a piece of cake, but the next disc it did reset back to region 1 so that could be a little PITA there for some.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
I have not auditioned any multistandard players so I don't know the demographics, but there exist many cheap PAL to NTSC and NTSC to PAL methods that lose half the vertical resolution.

But there is a good way around that problem if you have or are considering a scaling external video processor. The USD 1000. Lumagen Vision, among others, accepts both PAL and NTSC with autoselection, de-interlacing and scaling to a common denominator progressive scan video signal of your choice within broad limits including 768p, and also outputs 1080i, and without cutting the resolution in half. So you can just have an ordinary PAL player for PAL disks and an ordinary NTSC player for NTSC disks. You can also hook up VCR's.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/vidscale.htm

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Is it possible to watch a PAL DVD on a NTSC PC? I'm using DVD Region Free to remove the region coding, but WinDVD acts like there's no disc in drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks