What's new

__Sean Bean - Underrated Actor__ (1 Viewer)

Shawn_McD

Stunt Coordinator
I just started buying the "Sharpe's _____" series. Man, this guy is a hidden gem. Now I've watched his filmography over the past 10 years in the USA, I've got to say this guy rocks.

He's played everything from Flawed Hero to Flawed villain. It puts his own dramatic spin on everything. I love the way he delivers lines, such quality.

Then, in Troy...I think he shared the stage with Bana and Pitt...should have gotten more credit there.

Fellowship of the Ring, no doubt superb. I even got the bit where he pays homage to the Sharpe series (When he's in the house of Elrond and cuts his hand on Narsil).

Brillant.

Equilibrium was even good with him in it, despite his small role.

IMDB states a packed future for him, its good to see the working man get his dues!!!

Rodney Martin

Stunt Coordinator
nahh, the sharpe's series wasnt all that good. What noble cause was he fighting for, nothing, just helping to expand the british empire that eventually fell apart anyway.

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
I agree, Sean Bean is an awesome presence. Next to Boromir, my favorite role of his is Alec Trevelyan in GoldenEye. I think he was by far the best villain out of all the Brosnan Bond films.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Bean was the best Bond villain in decades.

Bean was the strongest non-Ian McKellan actor in the LOTR series (his added scenes in TTT were extremely good), and I've long felt he might have gotten AA consideration if the FOTR:EE had been the Theatrical Cut.

I don't like seeing him as generic action bad guy (like in National Treasure). The guy is a great actor who deserves great roles. And he's still extremely attractive, according to my besotted wife :)

Love me some Sean Bean,
Chuck

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
He was incredble as SEAN MILLER in Patriot Games. My friends and I still refer to that character in daily conversation.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

So the French cause was a noble one was it?

Plus, the British Empire left behind it two of the richest per capita nations on earth (Canada and Australia)and um, what is the world's most widespread language and the universal one for commerce? It is also the only empire that was given back to the native countries largely voluntarily. The idea of empire is of course wrong by modern sensibilites, but before you dismiss it, look at it in terms of contemporary not current judgements.

To get back on topic, Sean Bean is indeed an excellent actor. I think though that he needs the right part to shine.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Sean Bean made Patriot Games. Excellent performance.
One of my favorite actors. Most of the Sharpe's series are very good, a few dogs. Rumor has it Sean made it with most of the ladies, and even married 1 or 2.

Also starred in Bravo Two Zero , for any Andy McNabb fans.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
The first time I saw Sean Bean in anything was in his villain role in "Patriot Games", followed by his memorable turn as Alec Trevelyan, Agent 006 in "GoldenEye". If you listen to the audio commentary on the DVD (I had the LD at the time), the producers considered Bean as a potential James Bond as well because of his intensity.

It always struck me odd as how Trevelyan faked his death
in "GoldenEye". Had he secretly struck a deal with the Russian general (Gottfried John's character)?
That part seemed a little vague to me.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The film that burned him into my memory was "Ronin" - such a pathetic, annoying character. Then when he was cast as Boromir, I thought it was perfect because I already knew he could get on my bad side :)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

I was just thinking the same thing Jeremy. Gritty performance. Goldeneye was great in a big way because of Bean.

And TTT-EE as Chuck pointed out was elevated due to the Farimar flashback scenes. Maybe the best EE stuff or at least up there with the Lothlorian added scenes.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Excellent, and (IMO) indeed somewhat uderrated actor. They certainly needed him in LOTR.
He shines in roles of a tragic "hero", where he can't help being a bastard - but an (almost) honest one.

Cees

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Bean has that classic way of acting without even saying anything. He has a powerful screen presence and an intensity that doesn't come across as overacting. He brought a realness to FOTR. On the one hand, he was convinced he wanted the ring to do the good of Gondor, but also was convincing that he could not see the effect it would ultimately have on him. He's a natural and I hope that good things are in store for him in the future.

Shawn_McD

Stunt Coordinator
and don't forget the redemption of Boromir. When he realizes the folly of the ring, and then you see him become the hero. I thought the book did a little more justice, about him taking on 30+ orks and get lit up with arrows. That whole end battle with the music is pretty intense...and the scene with the Death of Boromir..that whole exchange between Viggo and Bean should have won some award.

I think my favorite line of FOTR is

"I would have followed you my brother....my captain....my KING"

stephen la

Stunt Coordinator
for some reason when I read the name sean bean I think of Mr. Bean, but thats Rowan Atkinson. then I think of the guy that did the voice for frodo and bilbo in the hobbit cartoons.
I never saw golden eye.. I dont remember patriot games..
but I remember liking him, but feeling sorry for him in Ronin "rasberry jam!" took me a while to figure out what he was saying..
and liked him when he "redeemed" himself in the fellowship of the ring
he's a good actor.. I have to check out Golden Eye and revisit Patriot Games

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
And don't forget the Acuvue contact lens commercial. He rocked in that!!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks