Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

__Sean Bean - Underrated Actor__

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
58 replies to this topic

#1 of 59 Shawn_McD

Shawn_McD

Stunt Coordinator

• 149 posts

Posted August 25 2004 - 04:25 AM

I just started buying the "Sharpe's _____" series. Man, this guy is a hidden gem. Now I've watched his filmography over the past 10 years in the USA, I've got to say this guy rocks.

He's played everything from Flawed Hero to Flawed villain. It puts his own dramatic spin on everything. I love the way he delivers lines, such quality.

Then, in Troy...I think he shared the stage with Bana and Pitt...should have gotten more credit there.

Fellowship of the Ring, no doubt superb. I even got the bit where he pays homage to the Sharpe series (When he's in the house of Elrond and cuts his hand on Narsil).

Brillant.

Equilibrium was even good with him in it, despite his small role.

IMDB states a packed future for him, its good to see the working man get his dues!!!

#2 of 59 Rodney Martin

Rodney Martin

Stunt Coordinator

• 103 posts

Posted August 25 2004 - 04:59 AM

nahh, the sharpe's series wasnt all that good. What noble cause was he fighting for, nothing, just helping to expand the british empire that eventually fell apart anyway.

#3 of 59 Kristian

Kristian

Supporting Actor

• 946 posts

Posted August 25 2004 - 05:07 AM

I agree, Sean Bean is an awesome presence. Next to Boromir, my favorite role of his is Alec Trevelyan in GoldenEye. I think he was by far the best villain out of all the Brosnan Bond films.
Film Lists: 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | Pre-2006 | 2009
CollectionsMusic

#4 of 59 Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,959 posts

Posted August 25 2004 - 05:29 AM

Bean was the best Bond villain in decades.

Bean was the strongest non-Ian McKellan actor in the LOTR series (his added scenes in TTT were extremely good), and I've long felt he might have gotten AA consideration if the FOTR:EE had been the Theatrical Cut.

I don't like seeing him as generic action bad guy (like in National Treasure). The guy is a great actor who deserves great roles. And he's still extremely attractive, according to my besotted wife Posted Image

Love me some Sean Bean,
Chuck
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#5 of 59 JeremySt

JeremySt

Screenwriter

• 1,767 posts

Posted August 25 2004 - 05:56 AM

He was incredble as SEAN MILLER in Patriot Games. My friends and I still refer to that character in daily conversation.

#6 of 59 andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted August 25 2004 - 06:20 AM

Quote:
What noble cause was he fighting for, nothing, just helping to expand the british empire that eventually fell apart anyway.

So the French cause was a noble one was it?

Plus, the British Empire left behind it two of the richest per capita nations on earth (Canada and Australia)and um, what is the world's most widespread language and the universal one for commerce? It is also the only empire that was given back to the native countries largely voluntarily. The idea of empire is of course wrong by modern sensibilites, but before you dismiss it, look at it in terms of contemporary not current judgements.

To get back on topic, Sean Bean is indeed an excellent actor. I think though that he needs the right part to shine.

#7 of 59 Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted August 25 2004 - 07:37 AM

Quote:
So the French cause was a noble one was it?
Posted Image
¡Time is not my master!

#8 of 59 Julian Reville

Julian Reville

Screenwriter

• 1,197 posts

Posted August 25 2004 - 08:33 AM

Sean Bean made Patriot Games. Excellent performance.
One of my favorite actors. Most of the Sharpe's series are very good, a few dogs. Rumor has it Sean made it with most of the ladies, and even married 1 or 2.

Also starred in Bravo Two Zero , for any Andy McNabb fans.

#9 of 59 Shawn_McD

Shawn_McD

Stunt Coordinator

• 149 posts

Posted August 25 2004 - 08:37 AM

Elizabeth Hurley too??! Wow that right bastard!

#10 of 59 Bill Williams

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted August 25 2004 - 09:05 AM

The first time I saw Sean Bean in anything was in his villain role in "Patriot Games", followed by his memorable turn as Alec Trevelyan, Agent 006 in "GoldenEye". If you listen to the audio commentary on the DVD (I had the LD at the time), the producers considered Bean as a potential James Bond as well because of his intensity.

It always struck me odd as
how Trevelyan faked his death
in "GoldenEye".
Had he secretly struck a deal with the Russian general (Gottfried John's character)?
That part seemed a little vague to me.
"I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise."

"Attention all personnel. Tonight's movie is a holdover from last week and will be shown right after supper, which is also a holdover from last week."

#11 of 59 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,249 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted August 25 2004 - 09:33 AM

The film that burned him into my memory was "Ronin" - such a pathetic, annoying character. Then when he was cast as Boromir, I thought it was perfect because I already knew he could get on my bad side Posted Image
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#12 of 59 Shawn_McD

Shawn_McD

Stunt Coordinator

• 149 posts

Posted August 25 2004 - 09:39 AM

ahah yeah he rocked in Ronin, acting like a badass then barfing up.

#13 of 59 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,605 posts

Posted August 25 2004 - 10:20 AM

He was incredble as SEAN MILLER in Patriot Games. My friends and I still refer to that character in daily conversation

I was just thinking the same thing Jeremy. Gritty performance. Goldeneye was great in a big way because of Bean.

And TTT-EE as Chuck pointed out was elevated due to the Farimar flashback scenes. Maybe the best EE stuff or at least up there with the Lothlorian added scenes.

#14 of 59 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,530 posts

Posted August 25 2004 - 10:39 AM

Excellent, and (IMO) indeed somewhat uderrated actor. They certainly needed him in LOTR.
He shines in roles of a tragic "hero", where he can't help being a bastard - but an (almost) honest one.

Cees

#15 of 59 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,605 posts

Posted August 25 2004 - 04:22 PM

Bean has that classic way of acting without even saying anything. He has a powerful screen presence and an intensity that doesn't come across as overacting. He brought a realness to FOTR. On the one hand, he was convinced he wanted the ring to do the good of Gondor, but also was convincing that he could not see the effect it would ultimately have on him. He's a natural and I hope that good things are in store for him in the future.

#16 of 59 Shawn_McD

Shawn_McD

Stunt Coordinator

• 149 posts

Posted August 26 2004 - 01:18 AM

and don't forget the redemption of Boromir. When he realizes the folly of the ring, and then you see him become the hero. I thought the book did a little more justice, about him taking on 30+ orks and get lit up with arrows. That whole end battle with the music is pretty intense...and the scene with the Death of Boromir..that whole exchange between Viggo and Bean should have won some award.

I think my favorite line of FOTR is

"I would have followed you my brother....my captain....my KING"

#17 of 59 stephen la

stephen la

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted August 26 2004 - 01:40 AM

for some reason when I read the name sean bean I think of Mr. Bean, but thats Rowan Atkinson. then I think of the guy that did the voice for frodo and bilbo in the hobbit cartoons.
I never saw golden eye.. I dont remember patriot games..
but I remember liking him, but feeling sorry for him in Ronin "rasberry jam!" took me a while to figure out what he was saying..
and liked him when he "redeemed" himself in the fellowship of the ring
he's a good actor.. I have to check out Golden Eye and revisit Patriot Games

#18 of 59 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,249 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted August 26 2004 - 03:51 AM

And don't forget the Acuvue contact lens commercial. He rocked in that!!! Posted Image
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#19 of 59 Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor

• 740 posts

Posted August 26 2004 - 04:26 AM

Bean has always been one of my favorites.

#20 of 59 Gruson

Gruson

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted August 26 2004 - 04:50 AM

He is the best there is.

Forum Nav Content I Follow