What's new

The funs almost over.......sorta (1 Viewer)

Do any of you feel like I do? That once Star Wars finally comes out most of the fun of dvd collecting will have passed.
I know we'll still have the Disney platinum releases but gone will be the days of anticipating a major catalogue release.
Heck I remember when Best Buy only had one shelf of DVDs in fall 98. aah guess i'm just nostalgic.
I think that besides the visual and audio improvment, that my feeling above are a big reason i'm looking forward to HD-DVD. Anyone feel the same?

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Do any of you feel like I do? That once Star Wars finally comes out most of the fun of dvd collecting will have passed. I know we'll still have the Disney platinum releases but gone will be the days of anticipating a major catalogue release.

I'd rather have the uncut version of The Magnificent Ambersons on DVD than Star Wars. In the meantime, Star Wars will have to do. :)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Dude, it's not as if they're ceasing to produce movies, you know? Yeah, Star Wars is my "DVD holy grail", but there's a long list of classics that have yet to be released, plus every week brings at least one new film I can't wait to get on disc. September 21st will be a happy day for DVD fans, but it cvertainly won't be the last.

But if Star Wars on DVD is really that important to you, feel free to start counting down the years until it hits HD-DVD/BluRay ;)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
As with Michael, "Star Wars" isn't high on my priority list, so put me down for "No." :)

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Ernest: Hallelujah, brother! Now THAT'S a holy grail! I was an obsessive Star Wars freak as a child, but I've been semi-numb to it for a number of years. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited that the trilogy will finally be released on DVD, but there are other titles that I desire more. THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS (heck, even in it's edited form) would make me a happy man indeed. PORTRAIT OF JENNIE will be released in October (after a few years of being out of print), which I'd rate much higher on my list than the Star Wars trilogy.

No.... this release in no way spells the end of MY DVD collecting!

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Frankly the wait's been so long for StarWars that I too no longer think of StarWars on dvd as some kind of Holy Grail.

I will of course purchase it on release day, but am a lot more hyped for an SE of Titanic.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Well with THX, the Star Wars trilogy and Episode 3 on the DVD horizon, the only titles I completely yearn for are Corvette Summer and The Gumball Rally. Once all these titles are available on DVD there will be nothing else for me to look forward to.

But to be honest once Episode 3 comes out that will likely be the last movie I'll look forward to, whether in movie theaters or on DVD.

BrionL

Stunt Coordinator
Although one of the reasons I got into DVD was because I wanted Star Wars on DVD. But the thing is there are a lot of movies not out yet that I also want. Just because Star Wars is coming out doesn't mean that DVD will be boring. I mean we still have Spider-Man 2 and Return of the King EE coming out. Just to name a couple.

Brion

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Oh yes, I can't forget smaller movies that either have appeared only on VHS or on no format at all thus far. Movies like 1969's The Sicilian Clan. ;)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I think that you need to watch more movies on the tube so you'll want them too.

My TV viewing probably goes back a lot longer than yours does, and I almost envy you because you're almost done. I still have about 70 or so that have never been mentioned, except for 'I want xxx!" on this forum.

Glenn

Paul Stanley

Stunt Coordinator
Thats a big negative for me. I'm not even buying that abomination, my THX LD's are all I need. Besides, if you're that worried, I'm sure that hack Lucas will re-release the trilogy every six months or so with more bells and whistles, in his ongoing attempt to con his dwindling fan base. That should give you more to look forward to...

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
You know what I have to agree because I just remembered that a brilliant and classic movie from 1965 called A Thousand Clowns starring Jason Robards has yet to appear on DVD, so I would also be looking forward to that one.

I'm sure if I explored more I'd find there are many more titles I'm looking forward to on DVD.

ABBA: The Movie... :D

It sounds like there are many films I still need to discover.
Perhaps the elitist in me is just looking forward to the new freshness HD-DVD will provide. When only a few people had DVDs it felt different than it does today. If that makes sense.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Star Wars IS the "holy grail" on DVD for me so once I have it and Indiana Jones in my collection.........well, there won't be much left I'm looking forward to(except for Episode III of course).

Paul, correct me if I'm wrong, but "that hack Lucas" who is putting out these DVDs is also responsible for you THX LDs. A little hypocritical, no?

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well Star Wars is sort of a holy grail for me (it's my highest rated film not on dvd), though I already have it on ld.

I won't list them, but there's still tons of dvds that I will look forward to. Leaving aside films that should just get released already dammit (like Top Hat, Bringing Up Baby, etc.), the real holy grails for me are doing films right that haven't been.

In other words a Robert Harris, fully restored It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. Now that's a holy grail!

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
If you need something else to look forward to other than Star Wars, "Sssssss" is coming to DVD on September 7th. Yes, Sssssss!, the movie that answered the eternal question: if a man who has been turned into a snake got into a fight with a mongoose, who would win? And Catwoman and Anacondas should be on DVD fairly soon. :)

GeorgePaul

Second Unit

A GREAT suggestion, fellow George. Is this still possible for RAH? The color timing between the restored scenes and original versions seems too far off. I had given up on such a truly restored version of the Stanley Kramer comedy classic since the DVD spliced all the "restored version" scenes from VHS onto the Special Features side of the flipper.

As for me, I'll still be looking forward to catching up with quite a bit of TV on DVD (WorldVision, let's get The Fugitive going, huh?) as well as anticipating releases of smaller films growing cobwebs on VHS like The Reincarnation of Peter Proud and The Ordeal of Dr. Mudd.

And of course, I respectfully submit that Mr. Robert Redford needs to put his support behind special editions of his movies--especially Ordinary People, Quiz Show and A River Runs Through It. So there'll still be plenty to look forward to.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Jeremy,

Star Wars? I already have that in my collection. Call me when Nicholas Ray's Bigger Than Life gets released on ANY home video format.

Chris Stainton

Second Unit
When I have the following in my collection than maybe the fun will be over for me.

Robinson Crusoe On Mars
Starchaser: The Legend Of Orin
Corvette Summer
Bugsy Malone
The Bowery Boys films
Compleat Beatles
King Kong
Good Neighbor Sam
Imagine: John Lennon
Private School...For Girls
Silent Movie
High Anxiety
Horror of Party Beach
The Incredible Shrinking Man
All seasons of Brady Bunch
All seasons of Leave It To Beaver

I have a while to wait for some of my favorites, so the fun will last me for a long time to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks