What's new

Why Gamecube/ps1's Are No Good (1 Viewer)

Rodrick

Second Unit
They are top loaders, and why are no good is the fact that both the disc's sit on a spindle and spin. But over time they break, the game discs get tossed around instead of loading.

My friend owned both systems. I liked them too, as I only own almost every portable gamesystem they have today from gameboy, sega,NEC, Atari. Lynx, Nomad, Turboexpress.

I wanted a cube myself but after what happened to my friend 2x with the cube and 1 time with the ps1. Don't buy top loading systems.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
It hasn't happened to me once with my PS1 (original gray model) or my GameCube. Ever. And I got both around their respective launches.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member

Ditto. I will say that consoles have a problem with the drive motors though. I'm convinced that my Ps1 got to its current state (skipping video/audio sometimes) because one of my roommates had this habit of leaving it on all the time (sometimes for a few weeks at a stretch). Since the disc never stops spinning, the motor gets a LOT more use than the actual playtime of the console. It seems like the Xbox and Cube have the same problem actually, but so far no problems with either!

Rodrick

Second Unit
Well over time, on the Playstation for instance the notch the disc's sit on and spin, the 3 metal clamps that hold the playstation discs on.

Same with the cube but didn't know on the heating problem etc... Will tell my friend.

I think I'll wait til maybe Xmas or Boxing Day to buy my Gamecube.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Failure of the loading system is hardly limited to top loaders, give it enough time and anything is liable to break.

Christop_Holmes

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with carl... and besides ive had my gamecube for as long as its been out.. hasnt broke.. still runs as good as ever :)

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member

HAHA

Yeah, my PS2 hasn't booted up Tekken Tag Tournament in like a year. Or PS1 games at all for that matter.

All the consoles have problems, esp. first run. Like my PS2 (2nd US shipment).

I should look into getting it fixed, but I just figured I would buy a new one when the get cheap enough.

I've never heard of discs 'being tossed around'. And all optical drives sit on a spindle and spin, don't they? No offense, but this sounds ridiculous. How would a disc fly off of the spindle??

Michael X

Stunt Coordinator
The spindles do break, partly because they're made of cheap plastic. However, the spindles are easily replaceable, just pop the old one off and the new one on. Costs less than a few bucks too.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I do have one other gripe with the gamecube, and that's just that it's too damn tall to be a top loader. It fits on my component rack just fine, but without enough clearance to open the cover all the way (it has maybe an inch at the top). Have to pull it out to change games.

Otherwise I'm happy (except for the drives never spinning down problem).

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Well, after reading this post, I just chunked my PSX and GameCube (purchased in 1997 and 2001, respectively), although they're both working just fine. They're just no good.

Funny thing, though--my PS2 (which according to this post, should be good to go) hasn't been able to read any DVD discs of any kind for about a year or so.

Hey, you live, read posts on the HTF, and learn.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Game systems are almost NEVER out of date in my book. I still have my NES, SNES, N64, Dreamcast, Saturn, PS2, and XBOX hooked to my tv and all get some loving every now and then. Top loader, cartridge, tray loading.....it doesnt matter. They all have fun games that I love to play.

A systems design such as top loading or how outdated it is (which Gamecube is certainly NOT) does not decide if a system is good or bad. It is the quality of the games that are played on it that determine a systems true worth.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member

Damn straight! Looks like you've actually got me beat though-I've only got a NES, SNES, N64, PSX, Xbox and GCN hooked up to my TV. Any more though, and I'd need a second switch box. Can't say that I use the older systems that often mind you, but I've gone back to revisit games like Super Metroid and A Link to the past in the past year.

JamesED

Second Unit
I've seen more PS2s break than GCs too. My roommate's has to be rebooted several times before it recognizes a disc. My other friend's doesn't even work. The cd tray on mine jammed for no reason, and I had to take it apart to realign the gears.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

I concur with Sean and Chris. Consoles are nothing more than facilitators; it's the software that really matters. If a game isn't enjoyable, it's most likely the fault of the game designer, programmer and/or QA tester for a less-than-stellar effort. I'll probably hold onto my SNES for no other reason than to play Killer Instinct when I get the urge (if only RARE had the good sense to give us a KI makeover for the current consoles, instead of projects such as Grabbed By The Ghoulies ;) )

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I will keep my SNES forever. If I had to choose only ONE paltform to own for the rest of my life and no others, it would be my SNES.

Super Mario All Stars
Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island
Zelda
Super Metroid
Final Fantasy II and III
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana
Super Mario Kart
Killer Instinct
Tetris/Dr Mario
Kirby's Avalanche
Actraiser
Super R Type
Breath of Fire I and II
Street Fighter II Turbo

The list goes on and on. These games make many current games look bad just on gameplay alone. Its the content, not the machine that makes a system great.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter

1. The Gamecube is not out of date, that is one of the most moronic comments I have ever heard.

2. Guess what, the PS2 will now be a Top Loader, so i guess they haven't learned their lesson.

-Dean-

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks