-

Photo
- - - - -

Why Gamecube/ps1's Are No Good

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#1 of 37 OFFLINE   Rodrick

Rodrick

Second Unit

• 269 posts

Posted August 24 2004 - 01:32 PM

They are top loaders, and why are no good is the fact that both the disc's sit on a spindle and spin. But over time they break, the game discs get tossed around instead of loading.

My friend owned both systems. I liked them too, as I only own almost every portable gamesystem they have today from gameboy, sega,NEC, Atari. Lynx, Nomad, Turboexpress.

I wanted a cube myself but after what happened to my friend 2x with the cube and 1 time with the ps1. Don't buy top loading systems.

#2 of 37 OFFLINE   Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,149 posts

Posted August 24 2004 - 02:37 PM

It hasn't happened to me once with my PS1 (original gray model) or my GameCube. Ever. And I got both around their respective launches.

#3 of 37 OFFLINE   Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon

Screenwriter

• 2,071 posts

Posted August 25 2004 - 03:45 AM

Quote:
It hasn't happened to me once with my PS1 (original gray model) or my GameCube. Ever. And I got both around their respective launches.

Ditto. I will say that consoles have a problem with the drive motors though. I'm convinced that my Ps1 got to its current state (skipping video/audio sometimes) because one of my roommates had this habit of leaving it on all the time (sometimes for a few weeks at a stretch). Since the disc never stops spinning, the motor gets a LOT more use than the actual playtime of the console. It seems like the Xbox and Cube have the same problem actually, but so far no problems with either!
XBox Live Gamertag:ChrisBardon

#4 of 37 OFFLINE   Rodrick

Rodrick

Second Unit

• 269 posts

Posted August 25 2004 - 02:08 PM

Well over time, on the Playstation for instance the notch the disc's sit on and spin, the 3 metal clamps that hold the playstation discs on.

Same with the cube but didn't know on the heating problem etc... Will tell my friend.

I think I'll wait til maybe Xmas or Boxing Day to buy my Gamecube.

#5 of 37 OFFLINE   Charlie C

Charlie C

Stunt Coordinator

• 237 posts

Posted August 26 2004 - 09:13 AM

. sorry J .

but then again, I dont own any console.

#6 of 37 OFFLINE   BrianB

BrianB

Producer

• 5,211 posts

Posted August 26 2004 - 09:30 AM

Quote:
rodrick, why even concern yourself with the gamecube and ps1... they are out of date.

Quick, get on the phone to Nintendo!! Posted Image
high resolution ipod featuring dlp hd programming is the best, almost as good as playstation 2 with wega windows media on a super cd! ps2 and tivo do dolby tv with broadband hdtv!

#7 of 37 OFFLINE   Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted August 26 2004 - 09:36 AM

Failure of the loading system is hardly limited to top loaders, give it enough time and anything is liable to break.

#8 of 37 OFFLINE   Christop_Holmes

Christop_Holmes

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted August 26 2004 - 11:54 AM

I agree with carl... and besides ive had my gamecube for as long as its been out.. hasnt broke.. still runs as good as ever Posted Image
Look For Me on, Rainbow Six 3: Black Arrow, Return To Castle Wolfenstein, Crimson Skies- Road To Revenge, Rainbow Six 3, , Ghost Recon- Island of thunder, ESPN Basketball, ESPN Football, Project Gotham Racing 2, Mechassult, Unreal Tournament, NFL 2k3

#9 of 37 OFFLINE   nolesrule

nolesrule

Producer

• 3,084 posts
  • LocationClearwater, FL

Posted August 26 2004 - 12:38 PM

A friend of mine has trouble with his PS2. The loader is beginning to die on it.

#10 of 37 OFFLINE   DaveGTP

DaveGTP

Screenwriter

• 2,096 posts

Posted August 26 2004 - 02:15 PM

Quote:
AND Sony caught their flaw and the PS2 is not a top loader.

HAHA

Yeah, my PS2 hasn't booted up Tekken Tag Tournament in like a year. Or PS1 games at all for that matter.

All the consoles have problems, esp. first run. Like my PS2 (2nd US shipment).

I should look into getting it fixed, but I just figured I would buy a new one when the get cheap enough.

I've never heard of discs 'being tossed around'. And all optical drives sit on a spindle and spin, don't they? No offense, but this sounds ridiculous. How would a disc fly off of the spindle??
Matheson- "There are probably some who'll say that by doing this, we are interfering with their culture."

Gideon - "Probably. Screw them."
-Crusade, Visitors from Down the Street

#11 of 37 OFFLINE   Michael X

Michael X

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted August 27 2004 - 07:48 AM

The spindles do break, partly because they're made of cheap plastic. However, the spindles are easily replaceable, just pop the old one off and the new one on. Costs less than a few bucks too.

#12 of 37 OFFLINE   Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted August 31 2004 - 05:11 AM

Quote:
why even concern yourself with the gamecube and ps1... they are out of date
then the ps2 must be as well, since it is about a year older than the gamecube.

CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#13 of 37 OFFLINE   Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon

Screenwriter

• 2,071 posts

Posted August 31 2004 - 06:06 AM

Actually, I do have one other gripe with the gamecube, and that's just that it's too damn tall to be a top loader. It fits on my component rack just fine, but without enough clearance to open the cover all the way (it has maybe an inch at the top). Have to pull it out to change games.

Otherwise I'm happy (except for the drives never spinning down problem).

#14 of 37 OFFLINE   Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted August 31 2004 - 01:07 PM

Well, after reading this post, I just chunked my PSX and GameCube (purchased in 1997 and 2001, respectively), although they're both working just fine. They're just no good.

Funny thing, though--my PS2 (which according to this post, should be good to go) hasn't been able to read any DVD discs of any kind for about a year or so.

Hey, you live, read posts on the HTF, and learn.

#15 of 37 OFFLINE   Sean Moon

Sean Moon

Screenwriter

• 2,045 posts

Posted August 31 2004 - 05:30 PM

Game systems are almost NEVER out of date in my book. I still have my NES, SNES, N64, Dreamcast, Saturn, PS2, and XBOX hooked to my tv and all get some loving every now and then. Top loader, cartridge, tray loading.....it doesnt matter. They all have fun games that I love to play.

A systems design such as top loading or how outdated it is (which Gamecube is certainly NOT) does not decide if a system is good or bad. It is the quality of the games that are played on it that determine a systems true worth.
http://doctordoom.blogspot.com

We must stand in awe of the infinite capacity of the human mind to reject the introduction of useful knowledge.

#16 of 37 OFFLINE   Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon

Screenwriter

• 2,071 posts

Posted September 01 2004 - 01:58 AM

Quote:
Game systems are almost NEVER out of date in my book. I still have my NES, SNES, N64, Dreamcast, Saturn, PS2, and XBOX hooked to my tv and all get some loving every now and then. Top loader, cartridge, tray loading.....it doesnt matter. They all have fun games that I love to play.

Damn straight! Looks like you've actually got me beat though-I've only got a NES, SNES, N64, PSX, Xbox and GCN hooked up to my TV. Any more though, and I'd need a second switch box. Can't say that I use the older systems that often mind you, but I've gone back to revisit games like Super Metroid and A Link to the past in the past year.

#17 of 37 OFFLINE   JamesED

JamesED

Second Unit

• 263 posts

Posted September 01 2004 - 03:04 AM

I've seen more PS2s break than GCs too. My roommate's has to be rebooted several times before it recognizes a disc. My other friend's doesn't even work. The cd tray on mine jammed for no reason, and I had to take it apart to realign the gears.

#18 of 37 OFFLINE   Ken Chui

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

• 976 posts

Posted September 01 2004 - 04:09 AM

Quote:
Game systems are almost NEVER out of date in my book....Top loader, cartridge, tray loading.....it doesnt matter. They all have fun games that I love to play.

I concur with Sean and Chris. Consoles are nothing more than facilitators; it's the software that really matters. If a game isn't enjoyable, it's most likely the fault of the game designer, programmer and/or QA tester for a less-than-stellar effort. I'll probably hold onto my SNES for no other reason than to play Killer Instinct when I get the urge (if only RARE had the good sense to give us a KI makeover for the current consoles, instead of projects such as Grabbed By The Ghoulies Posted Image )

#19 of 37 OFFLINE   Sean Moon

Sean Moon

Screenwriter

• 2,045 posts

Posted September 01 2004 - 11:20 AM

I will keep my SNES forever. If I had to choose only ONE paltform to own for the rest of my life and no others, it would be my SNES.

Super Mario All Stars
Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island
Zelda
Super Metroid
Final Fantasy II and III
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana
Super Mario Kart
Killer Instinct
Tetris/Dr Mario
Kirby's Avalanche
Actraiser
Super R Type
Breath of Fire I and II
Street Fighter II Turbo

The list goes on and on. These games make many current games look bad just on gameplay alone. Its the content, not the machine that makes a system great.
http://doctordoom.blogspot.com

We must stand in awe of the infinite capacity of the human mind to reject the introduction of useful knowledge.

#20 of 37 OFFLINE   Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter

• 1,829 posts

Posted September 29 2004 - 01:49 AM

Quote:
rodrick, why even concern yourself with the gamecube and ps1... they are out of date. I cant believe you got on just to tell people there is a design flaw in the top loaders, years upon years after they have been released. AND Sony caught their flaw and the PS2 is not a top loader.

1. The Gamecube is not out of date, that is one of the most moronic comments I have ever heard.

2. Guess what, the PS2 will now be a Top Loader, so i guess they haven't learned their lesson.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

-Dean-

Back to Video Gaming

Forum Nav Content I Follow