What's new

Need some suggestions on Singer/Songwriters to listen to. (1 Viewer)

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
Craig S. gave me the idea for this thread..(thanks man). I guess what I'm loooking for is Singer/songwriters like James Taylor, Jim Croce, Shawn Mullins, Dave Matthews, Johnny Cash, Ani DiFranco, Edwin McCain, Jack Johnson(one of my favs), etc. I'm most interested in solo singers with just a guitar but definately open to other instruments(piano, etc). And if anyone knows of any artists from here:
http://www.archive.org/audio/etreeli...llection=etree
that would fall into that category, it would bemuch appreciated.;)

Thanks,
Chet

TomCW

Second Unit
Most solo artists have other musicians playing with them on thier recordings, but here are some of my favorites.

Kris Delmhorst
Dave Carter
Sarah Harmer
Jan Smith
Shelley Short

Tom

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
"Most solo artists have other musicians playing with them on thier recordings"

Not neccessarily solo artists but like the artists I listed. A great deal of their music is simply them and a guitar with maybe percussion. I'll check out your suggestions though. Thanks all and keep 'em coming.

CF

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
NickSo: Thanks!! Just sampled some his tracks on Amazon and that's exactly what I'm looking for. Too bad they don't let you listen to a little more though. I checked out his website and they don't allow tapers....too bad as that is what sounds best to my ears as of late. Definately putting him on my buy list though.:)

CF

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Nick Drake
Tom Rush
Joni Mitchell
Maria Muldaur
Livingston Taylor...his 1st album is a treasure!
Grant-Lee Phillips
Richie Havens
Laura Nyro
Otis Spann
Donovan
Alex Chilton's CLICHES
Julia Fordham
Colleen Sexton
Janis Ian
Willie Nelson
Arlo Guthrie
Leo Kottke...if you can find ICE WATER or one of the older albums when he used to sing. Now he just plays bottleneck quitar extrodinaire!

Eric Bebb
Muddy Waters
Eva Cassidy...well, great interpeter.
Cassandra Wilson
John Sebastian
Phoebe Snow
Kenny Rankin...particularly his first several albums.
Joe Pass...he played solo, guitar, alot, no singing! Toitally amazing
Dr. John !!!!!
Gordon Lightfoot

If you like Brazilian: Two For Brazil...these two gus, with NO overdubbing, sound like a whole group, bloody amazing!
Ana Caram is another good Brazilian
The master of Brazilian is, drumroll, Antonio Carlos Jobim. He has some nice solo/ish stuff on many albums

That's all folks!;) ...unless I thunk anodder hup!

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Cool... i wasnt sure exactly what you were looking for since i dont really listen to the artists you listed as similar. but i do know i love his CD, and he's an awesome songwriter who plays mainly acoustic guitar solo :)

lemme know how you like it (a review here perhaps?) when ya get a chance to listen to the album ;)

Tim H

Stunt Coordinator
I would suggest Duncan Sheik or Michael Penn. Neither are completely acoustic but seem to fit in with your tastes. Gavin DeGraw is recent favorite of mine, too.

Mark Olson

Auditioning
I would definitely recommend Ellis Paul (ellispaul.com) - especially the "Translucent Soul" album which was produced by Jerry Marotta (drummer on early Peter Gabriel albums) and features Tony Levin on bass! I think Ellis is an amazing songwriter!

Tommyc

Grip
Gotta include Iris DeMent - an American original - heartfelt songs with a voice like no other.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Bruce Cockburn
Bruce Cockburn
Bruce Cockburn
Bruce Cockburn
Bruce Cockburn
Bruce Cockburn
Bruce Cockburn
Bruce Cockburn
and Bruce Cockburn.

Based on the rest of your list, I'd be surprised if Bruce Cockburn didn't instantly become one of your favorites. I strongly recommend Dancing in the Dragon's Jaws, Dart to the Heart, Humans, The Trouble With Normal, World of Wonders, Inner City Front, Breakfast In New Orleans Dinner In Timbuktu, The Charity of Night, Circles in the Stream... Okay, I'm getting out of hand. It's a good time to be getting into Bruce; almost his entire catalog has been re-mastered and re-released in the past couple years. Start with Dancing in the Dragon's Jaws and get back to me.

It's pronounced "CO-burn," by the way. He doesn't burn your cock. And when I say "cock," I mean "rooster."

(I have other recommendations, as well, like Sam Phillips, Jane Siberry, John Hiatt, and Tim Firth, but I think Bruce Cockburn is what you're looking for.)

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
In the Bruce "CO-burn" vein, I would recommend Mark Heard.

You can check out his music at pastemusic.com.

I would also recommend Over the Rhine if you like beautiful
female vocalists. Their music can also be found at
pastemusic.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks