What's new

Monster Godfather Sub.... (1 Viewer)

Kris_Smith

Agent
Chris, when you don't have the money, EVERYTHING seems overpriced.......

Of course I don't have that kind of money to spend, but some here do....

Normal, "everyday people" would probably think $1,000 is too much to sepnd on any a/v equipment....

Little do they know some audiophiles spend that much(and more) on just wires and/remote controls alone...

I think in todays game, you have to factor in the "aesthetic appeal".....

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
But does the performance match the price is the question. I've spent a lot of money on equipment, but make sure that the performance lives up to the price. A single 15inch for that price, seems a little overpriced to me is all. You can probably do better (i know that you can).

Kris_Smith

Agent
Well, to be fair, now one has posted to the fact that they've seen/heard it in action.....

You may be able to get a better/lower/louder sub for cheaper, but you may have to have huge "pillars" to do so....

Yes, you will pay for the name, you will pay for the look AND you will pay for the performance....

We're talking about a 15 inch 1000 watt sub that fits in the corner and looks like a table....

We could all pay half that and buy two 20+ inch BUS tires and rival "Atom Splits", but that would probably land us in the realm of "you must be single"

I'm not arguing with you about the price as I think many of these companies are overcharging...

BrianAe

Second Unit
Looks cool. I bet the performance is good, so it all comes down to what you are willing to pay for form factor and looks. It is hard to judge the looks completely from the photo but if it is high end furniture quality then I could see someone paying that price for a living room theater. For a dedicated theater though, it would make no sense.

Mitch N

Stunt Coordinator
Expensive no. But without more technical measurements other then it's weight and dimensions, I'd look elsewhere.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I guess I don't understand the point of this thread. If it's an ad, which I don't think it is, then it really does have no point. If it's just a "wow look at this crazy expensive thing," it's not really a big deal at all, because there are a lot more crazy and expensive subs out there than that one.

Are you investigating the quality of this product?

I don't get the point.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
wow, 4 g's. seems like a lot for something thats supposed to double as a table. If it worked like it should, you wouldnt be able to place anything on top of it unless you had crazy glue. So the picture is misleading IMO.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Actually, if it worked like it *should,* it should be rock solid and have no added cabinet resonances. Cabinets that fling things immediately point to poor design and horrible amounds of distortion.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D

I did not know that Chris, thanks, its good to know. Makes sense though.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
...zzzzzzzz

Any company that doesn't even bother to remove numerous question marks (common when cutting and pasting from Word) from a website page, and which recommends 4 opposite corner loaded subs (for a "reference" system) in the same room can't possibly be taken seriously.

It's a really nice looking design execution though (pun intended).

Kris_Smith

Agent
To Wiggles,

I was just wondering if anyone had heard it....

No point other than that...I thought it looked cool....It's different....

You might like the looks of 2 huge pillars, but I hear other folks commenting on they like style...

If I walked into a room and saw these, rather than a huge ugly box, I'd be impressed....

Of course performance is a great thing to have, but I tend to like a little of both.....

To me, Bose systems look nice, but they lack in performance....If they met their claims, I bet a whole helluva lot of people would by Bose.....

You read the post...I asked for comments from anyone that has heard/seen the sub....You immediately replied back with "It's overpriced"....

I ask you sir, What is your point?

What does it have to do with the price of milk in China? Is it overpriced too :)

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
i have actually heard it. it sounds like trash. one of the worst subs ive heard. it could have just not been setup right, but it was still really bad. very very muddy bass. it just went low, but had absolutely no detail. its build quality is impressive though. as an end-table, its nice, as a sub, its junk.

Benihana

Stunt Coordinator
i heard it today. I actually heard 2 of them, 1 in each corner. WAY overpriced, i mean it sounded clean, but didn't get all that loud, and there were 2 of them, maybe i just was expecting too much for $8000, which makes them seem not worth it. heck, for $300 you can get a tempest and parts express 250watt plate amp and build an adire ported alignment and you can at least match it or best it. from what the guy told me, i was listening to a $60,000 system.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I haven't heard or seen it so I can't even comment on how it stands up as a piece of furniture. Offhand, it is a simple design that does not look especially difficult to build and there are plenty of places to source out a simple cabinet such as this that can do it for a $100 if that.

As others have strongly suggested, there are ample reasons as to have serious doubts as to its performance and capabilities even though no one has heard it. There's enough on the website and enough missing to set off the bullshit detectors in people. After all, no one even knows if its even a legitimate subwoofer, in the right type of enclosure, specs, measurements, etc. We do know that it is wired with Monster Cable but if it is a turd, then even silver plated, it is still a turd. I'd imagine for those interested, they could contact the company for further information.

Nonetheless, there's plenty of merit in wanting a sub that integrates well with one's furniture. A lot of DIY'ers do exactly that when dealing with the WAF. They want an authoritative sub with some balls. The wife says the only way those balls are coming into our (my) family room is if it looks like a piece of furniture. Some pretty impressive designs have been made that even go so far as to mimic the exact style of the existing furniture. My suggestion to you, is if you're interested in having both balls and style, then either build it yourself, or consider someone like Brian Bunge, who posts on this website and is skilled. He does good work and will give you a sub that is, in fact, a sub. Outline your needs, provide a picture of what you're looking for, and get a quote.

Kris_Smith

Agent
I keep hearing people can build these exact replicas for way cheaper......

I know one guy that would rather build himself instead of buy.......

Needless to say his works of art really look like sh1t...

If this were the case then why would anyone buy anything when they can just build an SVS themselves....

I'd be willing to bet that we'd see a bunch of crooked pillars of junk in the front room......

I know there are a select few that CAN build, but the majority just talk......

I guess it's true what they say about opinions....The only one that counts is your own......

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
yes, i heard it with the whole monster setup. i about threw up when they turned it on :)

they told me "this system sounds awesome" and played hotel california. (keep in mind this is ultimate electronics, and i work for a local high-end boutique store). i think it was just setup all wrong. they had like 4 subs in the system, and none of them were really setup right, all seemed to be just cranked to 11.

when the first little bass hit came in on hotel california, it sounded like every sub was trying to reach out and touch me. every sub in the room bottomed out at once. one of the worst sounds ive heard :) it really was a terrible experience. it goes to show how important setup can be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks