What's new

digital vs analog cable (1 Viewer)

Dennis Rossi

Auditioning
Right now I split my cable signal before the digital cable box and send half the signal to the tv and the other half into the digital cable box and on through to my DVD/DVD recorder. To watch the digital channels (above 70) I switch the tv video on the tv and watch these channels through the DVD player. I do this because I can not stand the slow channel flipping of the digital channels as there is a delay as the channel and title display come up. Since most of my viewing is sports, most of the channels are on the lower end (analog) That may sound crazy, are there any others who are this impatient? Anyway I am about to buy a new reciever and use the reciever for video switching. I would assume I will be able to do something similar except that the output of the digital cable box is coaxial. Are there receivers with two coaxial inputs?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Somewhere along the line there something got lost. Are you asking if your new receiver will have two digital inputs so that you can connect both the cable box and the DVD recorder to it?

When you say the cable box’s output is “coaxial,” do you mean the RF connection that you usually use between the box and TV, or a coaxial digital output for audio?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Dennis Rossi

Auditioning
No the cable box's output is RF, so I would be looking for a reciever that has two coaxial RF inputs, one I would input the signal from the cable box to watch the higher end channels, and the other I would input the raw cable signal with the analog channels. Our cable system has an analog/digital mix. (As the cable comes into the house I would split it and send one to one receiver input, and the other would go to the cable box and then on to another reciever input). I have just started looking at receivers and have only seen ones with a single rf input.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Home Theater receivers do not function as tuners or receivers for satellite or cable TV signals. They only have AM/FM radio tuners. That single RF input is for an antenna for the AM/FM tuner.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Dennis Rossi

Auditioning
Yea I knew the receivers don't tune but I was hoping the signal would be past through to the tv so I could use the receiver as a video signal switcher. Thanks

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
You can get essentially the same function by sending the cable box’s video and audio jacks to the receiver, then send a line from the receiver’s “Monitor Output” to a video input on the TV.

Dennis Rossi

Auditioning
Those don't work either, the only output that works on the digital cable box is the coaxial cable. I guess I could use one of those converters RF to composite, but worry about signal loss. I need to check those outputs though, the installer said they don't work but maybe he didn't know what he was talking about.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Your cable box may be the el-cheapo model that has spaces for composite or component jacks (or the jacsk themselves) but they don't work. You would pay more to get a higher grade box that may look the same but the jacks do work.

But I would think that digital cable boxes would always have component video out, unless the digital channels were really dititized analog rather than Y/Pb/Pr.

Slow channel flipping annoys me, both on TV's and car radios. I wouldn't mind if the radio squealed a bit or the TV flashed lines and snow for a moment if that is what it took to get a faster channel flip.

RF video from a cable box or VCR will not pass through most receivers' composite or component paths because the bandwidth of the latter is too low. Even if they did, you would have to choose whether the "monitor out" of the receiver went to the TV's composite in or antenna in.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

The only cable boxes I've seen with component outs have been HD boxes. I think the poster is talking about a regular digital cable box, not HD.

Elijah

Supporting Actor

Actually every Digital Cable (not HD) box I have seen have at least composite video out, and I am pretty sure that i have seen Component Video out on some also. If it is at all similar to Digital Satellite then you should also have the option of having Component Video outs as well as Digital Audio outs on a "regular" (non HD) cable box. It just depends on what the company you go with offers, or if you buy your own equipment.

If you are using RF right now for the audio and video out of the cable box, I don't imagine that you have too much to worry about with regards to signal quality either on the audio or video side by using a RF to Composite converter. I would think that for "switchability" that would be the way to go, and simply put that into your receiver's inputs.

The REAL way to go would be to see if your cable company offers any other type of cable box. Usually upon request you can upgrade your box to one with more output options for just a couple of bucks a month.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
(Digital cable and satellite systems may supply non-HD material in any or all of: (1) analog transmissions identical to analog cable channels, 6 Mhz apiece, (2) digitized analog; when initially decoded by the cable box a standard analog signal is obtained, and (3) digitized component video often obtained by comb filtering and color decoding an analog signal at cable headquarters. Other than (1) the encoding methods may vary so one cable box might not work on another company's system. HD material via cable or satellite is encoded differently from over the air broadcasts, so an HDTV set top box or HD tuner in a TV set is not needed and you connect around it. At some time in the future, cable ready HD tuners may be marketed.)

Dennis Rossi

Auditioning
Yes, this is not an HD box. I'll have to check on availability of a better box, a check of their (TimeWarner) website doesn't mention it, and the tech specs have the coaxial cable output as the only option. They are now offering DVR cable boxes, I don't really need that, I have a DVD recorder with hard drive, but it might be an upgrade with different outputs.

Charlie C

Stunt Coordinator
I would bitch up a storm with my cable provider. saying "you gave me a box that the connections do not work. please give me one that works properly "

Elijah

Supporting Actor

I googled "Time Warner Digital Cable" and came up with a couple of websites for Locally owned branches. Im not sure where you live, but if you go here "vvv.timewarnercable.com/Localization/Corporate.ashx" (replace v's with w's as I cannot post links yet) you can type in your Zip Code and hopefully find the local office to you. I just happened to go to the one in San Diego and looked at the online version of their product manuals. All of the boxes that it appears they offer for Non HD digital cable have both a digital audio out and at least Composite video with all the ones I looked at having sVideo as well.

You can go here to see the manuals that I looked at.
"vvv.timewarnercable.com/CustomerService/FAQ/TWCFAQCategories.ashx?CatID=356&MarketID=57"

I imagine that being part of the same company, that even if your local branch says "no we dont carry that", that they can at least order it from another location, and it shoudl be compatible.

Hope this helps.

Dennis Rossi

Auditioning
Thanks, I did look local (Houston),there are different diagrams than Elijah's, coax only. There was a review of the new DVR box in the paper and the reviewer mentioned quicker channel flipping!!! Like I said I have a DVD player with dvr, but the DVR from the cable company will be easier to program, and may have quicker flipping and better outputs, I'll check. Should be worth the extra $10 a month I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks