What's new

Easy Rider 35th Anniversary Edition - worth buying? (1 Viewer)

I've got the original "Easy Rider" special edition, and looking at the specs for the new 35th anniversary edition it seems that it's just a repackaging with superfluous extras (a soundtrack CD and a BFI book). Is there any point in upgrading? A new transfer or is this just the same one? Thanks!

StephenA

Screenwriter
If you're happy with the original, I'd say stick with that. I have the original myself and probably will stick with it.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
It certainly didn't sound like anything new had been done for this film in terms of DVD content, so I decided to pass.

What I am more curious about is this Dr. Strangelove 40th Anniversary edition. Anyone know the specs on that? Is it just more shameless Columbia double-dipping?

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I wish they would also offer the commentary from the 1994/95 Columbia LD that featured Fonda, production manager Paul Lewis & Hopper on the phone from NY as I feel the current Hopper only track is as dry as the film's commune garden (Dennis...SAY SOMETHING FOR GOD'S SAKE!!!), the LD track is much more fun although at times it is rather annoyingly self congratulatory..but it also contains much more interesting info than the current DVD's Hopper commentary or documentary.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
So whats the update? When does the 35th come out? The 1999 was of course the 30th anniversary. I rented it and it looked good. Should I wait for the 35th or grab and 30th now?

Kai Zas

Second Unit
Well, if you don't have the 30th edition, you might as well hold out a few more days and get the new one. No need to get in a hurry now, right?

(If only to prevent buying a 1999 disc.)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
True, as long as the new one isn't some how lame or missing something that the 30th anniversary version has.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
So there's no reason to buy the 30th anniversary over the 35th anniversary? Has anyone compared the DVD's? Picture and sound is the same? Is the extra book and CD worth while? It looks ok I guess. Just wondering if there's any further feedback on this one.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
So apart from price difference, there is no reason to acquire the 30th anniversary version over the new 35th anniversary edition? Are there are differences at all in the audio or picture quality of these dvd's?

Perhaps I'll wait until there are used copies around or until the price drops?

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
I'd like to know what exactly is on the bonus CD. I have a feeling its not the full soundtrack CD.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Thats a good point. I'll check the Future Shop link and a few other links and see what they say.

Scott David

Stunt Coordinator

You're right; it's just an 8-song "sampler" of sorts, including songs that are not on the original soundtrack like "Nights in White Satin" and "Get Together". Definitely NOT worth upgrading if it's just for that CD. However, I do like the BFI book about "Easy Rider" that's enclosed, so since I never owned the DVD before, that alone made the set worth purchasing.

Keith M.

Second Unit
I just wish BestBuy.com would send me mine!:angry:

I pre-ordered it 2 weeks ago and it still says backordered...

Im looking forward to seeing this movie for the 1st time.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I can't recall actually seeing it in stock anywhere. I'll see if its in stock at the Future Shop.

Joe Reinwald

Stunt Coordinator

The local Best Buy here has several, but they are mixed in with the non-35th version. I was going to pick it up but decided to hold off, though I don't really know why. I'll probably ask for it as a stocking stuffer.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Can anyone tell if the disc is remastered or not? A local Tower clerk who said he owns it says yes...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I'd bet the farm it's NOT. There's absolutely no evidence they changed anything about the DVD other than the cover art. Heck, they didn't even bother to update the filmographies!

It sure looked like the same transfer to me...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks