Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Arrested Development

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 of 58 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,954 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted October 19 2004 - 05:27 PM

I think it's great to include the soundtrack selections.

I also am glad to see Marta I (aka Leonor Varela) Posted Image

#42 of 58 OFFLINE   Shane D

Shane D

Supporting Actor

• 651 posts

Posted October 20 2004 - 12:31 AM

i liked how on the extended pilot they didn't bleep out the 2 f words. they just came out of nowhere and surprised ya

#43 of 58 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,238 posts

Posted October 20 2004 - 04:47 AM

quote:

i liked how on the extended pilot they didn't bleep out the 2 f words. they just came out of nowhere and surprised ya

It would have been nice if all the shows had an unbleeped option. I don't know why the Extended Pilot was uncensored and the rest of the show was not. Maybe because the Extended Pilot never actually aired? But, so far I am liking this set on a pretty much blind buy.
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#44 of 58 OFFLINE   JasonJason

JasonJason

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted October 20 2004 - 04:56 AM

As someone who never got to check this show out on tv (it seemed like a show where you have to watch them all to fully appreciate it - and I didn't even hear about the quality of it until well into the run), I bought this blind - and I'm loving it! It sounded like my kind of humor, and I was not disappointed at all.

#45 of 58 OFFLINE   MattGentry

MattGentry

Second Unit

• 257 posts

Posted October 20 2004 - 03:11 PM

Am I the only one who would rather shows that are bleeped to, well, remain bleeped? They just seem funnier with bleeps left and right...

#46 of 58 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,238 posts

Posted October 20 2004 - 03:13 PM

quote:

Am I the only one who would rather shows that are bleeped to, well, remain bleeped?

I have thought about that. It would have been great for the set to give the option of leaving the dialogue bleeped or not.
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#47 of 58 OFFLINE   Shane D

Shane D

Supporting Actor

• 651 posts

Posted October 21 2004 - 12:56 AM

for the occasional f words and s words, i'd like the words, but when the corn baller burns them and when buster was trying to bond with everyone in... episode 3 i think, the bleeps did make that part funnier.

#48 of 58 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted October 21 2004 - 02:27 AM

quote:

when buster was trying to bond with everyone in... episode 3 i think, the bleeps did make that part funnier.

I don't have the DVDs yet, did they unbleep that part? I remember hearing that the actor who plays Buster didn't actually curse in that scene, because he's religious or something like that.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#49 of 58 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,954 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted October 21 2004 - 03:28 AM

I think it's funnier with the bleeps.

#50 of 58 OFFLINE   JasonJason

JasonJason

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted October 21 2004 - 06:01 AM

Jesse, They didn't unbleep that part. From what I've seen so far, the only unbleeped cursing has been in the extended pilot (and possibly the regular pilot - which I haven't watched).

#51 of 58 OFFLINE   Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor

• 786 posts

Posted October 21 2004 - 07:49 AM

The regular pilot is as originally broadcast, with the two f-words bleeped out. I prefer it with the bleeps, because it fits in with the style of the show -- Arrested Development is partly a parody of reality shows (or at least, it's a sitcom shot as if it's a reality show about a formerly-rich family), and the fact that the characters swear and it gets bleeped out is part of that whole reality-show style.

#52 of 58 OFFLINE   Matt Goddard

Matt Goddard

Stunt Coordinator

• 174 posts

Posted October 21 2004 - 09:29 AM

quote:

I think it's funnier with the bleeps.

I agree completely. Although we sometimes miss it, there is a fine line between being funny and just being vulgar. Buster's rant would have been more shocking than funny if they had included a bunch of actual f-bombs. As long the beeps are written into the script, I think they're there for their comedic value. If the writers didn't want the beeps for their own effect they would have used nonprofanities in the script.

#53 of 58 OFFLINE   Chris:L

Chris:L

Supporting Actor

• 709 posts

Posted October 21 2004 - 10:34 AM

It's produced by Ron Howard. How could you not buy this set?

#54 of 58 OFFLINE   Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,068 posts

Posted October 21 2004 - 11:54 AM

quote:

It's produced by Ron Howard. How could you not buy this set?

Well, it is produced by Ron Howard after all. Don't let that scare you away from a great TV show, though.
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#55 of 58 OFFLINE   Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,490 posts

Posted October 21 2004 - 12:17 PM

Not everything Ron Howard does is great (A Beautiful Mind was great for about the first two-thirds of the film and then totally blew), but this certainly is. I'd say the funniest, quirkiest sitcom since Seinfeld left the air for good.

#56 of 58 OFFLINE   Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor

• 786 posts

Posted October 23 2004 - 08:53 AM

A thing that becomes increasingly clear on watching the episodes one after the other is that many, if not most of the episodes try to have some kind of moment where the characters connect, or learn a lesson, or just prove that they have a heart. Even "Pier Pressure," which started as a parody of a network request for Michael to teach his son a lesson, has a scene where someone learns a lesson (except it's Michael who learns it). On the one hand, this is a good thing because it keeps the show from becoming heartless and one-dimensional (like Curb Your Enthusiasm, which is funny, but ironically gets praised for the things that you usually find in bad sitcoms, e.g. lack of character development and plots that could be solved if the characters weren't idiots). But sometimes it comes off as a very unsubtle way of telling us what the theme of the episode is. If this were a studio-audience sitcom, the critics would probably be coming down on some of those moments. But it's a minor point (and to tell you the honest truth, I actually like that kind of moral-of-the-story moment, whether it's on Arrested Development or Friends or Family Ties). And yeah, I'm aware that the heartfelt moments are always followed by a joke, but that's very much a traditional sitcom way of writing; on any sitcom, live-audience, laugh-track, or "quirky," a serious moment is always followed by a big joke to cut through the treacle. Family Ties did that several times every week. But then that's part of the fun of AD, that it's a traditional sitcom with a non-traditional style and attitude.

#57 of 58 OFFLINE   Richard Michael Clark

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit

• 373 posts

Posted October 23 2004 - 09:47 AM

This is just a genius show. I've been watching it in the Uk (we are upto about episode 6) but decided to get the dvd set as I like it so much. I've watched the whole season in less than 2 days! images/smilies/blush.gif

...and I can't wait to watch it all again! images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

I just love that the shows dares to drop in the casual racism of some of the characters (like Lucille and her attitude to anyone who isn't a WASP!) and find this pretty brave in American television. Rather than being offensive it highlights her character's rather insular view of 'her' world using similar techniques that we often see in the UK (when satirising class attitudes), in wonderful shows like "The League of Gentlemen" and "Little Britain".

This is sublime comedy that should be a smash hit! I do hope it really takes off and finds a proper audience.

#58 of 58 OFFLINE   Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,342 posts

Posted October 23 2004 - 09:57 AM

About the bleeps... In the first episode, its funny to have it with or without them. But in some of the later episodes they work better with the bleeps (like when Michael burns his hand on the cornballer or when Buster lets loose with the curses about what he'll to do Michael after they race and then when he talks about their mother). Overall, this is an amazing set to own. I love this show and I can't wait for the new season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users