-

Photo
- - - - -

Commercial Mowers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 MarkMel

MarkMel

Screenwriter

• 1,504 posts

Posted August 23 2004 - 03:28 AM

Are there any landscapers that can give some advice on commercial mowers? I have 2.75 acres of grass. It takes me around 4 hrs to mow it using a riding mower with a 42" deck. This summer I am having a service cut it. It takes 1 person around an hour using a zero turn mower to cut my lawn.

I would like to buy a commercial mower so that I can cut it myself. I had a line on a scag 3-wheel hydro mower with a 61" deck. It had 1300 hrs on it and they wanted $1,800 for it. It got sold out from under me to a person that bought all of the sellers equipment.

I was also looking at new Exmark z turns. But, I don't want to pay $6,000+ for a mower.

What should I look for in a used mower and what brands are well respected? Is getting a used mower from a business a bad idea? I know my way around small engines and I am mechanically inclined so I could pretty much fix most issues myself.

Also, when would be the best time to buy? In the fall or in the begining of the mowing season?
"and no one seems to understand the glory of guitar, when out of tune, the off timing, the singers who can't sing, - the beauty of flaw!"

"I apologize if there is anyone in this room I have not offended" - Brahms

My Band - Charlie Don't Surf! https://www.facebook...arlieDontSurfCT

#2 of 8 BradleyS.

BradleyS.

Stunt Coordinator

• 206 posts

Posted August 23 2004 - 09:32 AM

I have always heard good things about John Deere mowers. They have some very large models that are recommended for your size of yard. Home depot sells John Deere's. I would also look into bush hog mowers or dixons.

#3 of 8 JordanS

JordanS

Second Unit

• 250 posts

Posted August 23 2004 - 02:08 PM

We have a Bobcat Zero Turn Mower that is oustanding. We have about 4 acres of total grass and it takes about 2 hours to cut it. The model we have is the ZT-219.

We also have a big John Deere 2210 w/210 loader that has a 62 inch deck. However, the machine is really heavy and isn't the best for cutting grass.
Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you.

-Darth....

#4 of 8 Marc S Kessler

Marc S Kessler

Stunt Coordinator

• 186 posts

Posted August 24 2004 - 02:07 AM

We have a Grasshopper 721D with a 52" deck and can mow about 3 acres in 2 1/2 hours. This is definately a commercial mower.
MARC S KESSLER

#5 of 8 ClintS

ClintS

Stunt Coordinator

• 169 posts

Posted August 24 2004 - 03:21 AM

You could look at a Dixie Chopper touted as "The worlds fastest mower" I have seen commercial guys around here on the things and they do scoot. Almost looks like too much fun to be work.

www.dixiechopper.com

They have a dealer locator.

#6 of 8 MarkMel

MarkMel

Screenwriter

• 1,504 posts

Posted August 24 2004 - 05:45 AM

Thanks for the replies. Now if I could find something good used....
"and no one seems to understand the glory of guitar, when out of tune, the off timing, the singers who can't sing, - the beauty of flaw!"

"I apologize if there is anyone in this room I have not offended" - Brahms

My Band - Charlie Don't Surf! https://www.facebook...arlieDontSurfCT

#7 of 8 Greg_R

Greg_R

Screenwriter

• 1,998 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted August 24 2004 - 12:07 PM

Mark,
Check out used Gravely mowers. My grandparents owned a nursery and they are still using their Gravely's after 30+ years of hard use. My uncle rebuilds them (engine refurbs, etc.) and parts are still available. Highly recommended...

I've mowed over extremely deep grass and briars w/o any problem... these mowers are not short on power.

#8 of 8 Chas_T

Chas_T

Supporting Actor

• 758 posts

Posted August 25 2004 - 01:50 AM

Mark:

Pose the question or do some lurking on here. It's a great web site for OPE items. These guys are pretty darn sharp.

http://whatsthebest-lawnmower.com/